Earl Grey

Lemon Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Orange Zest, Vanilla
Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “I found a recipe for Earl Grey lemonade and it made me curious. It has been very hot here recently and I have been drinking a fair amount of half-tea, half-lemonade that my fiance's mother has...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 526 tasting notes
  • “I have one more bag of this. I used to drink this often and loved it. Now I am finding it kind of meh. I hate it when the classics don't quite live up to the memory. ” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1303 tasting notes
  • “This is another tea I bought, mainly because I like Earl Grey. It is really one of my favorite [fruit flavored] teas. Surprisingly, I haven't had all that many different brands of it, nor do I have...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “I am kind of confused by the myriad of Earl Greys that Twining's seems to offer. I am now in Heathrow Airport (London) on my way to Madagascar and I had a bagged EG that wasn't the typical...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1943 tasting notes

From Twinings

Fine black tea expertly blended with the citrus fruit flavor of bergamot, to deliver an uplifting tea with a unique floral aroma and refreshing taste.

About Twinings View company

I don’t know about the others, but I think this is a decent tea. Just had it last night after a big party, and it definitely hit the spot. Prepared with a bit of milk and honey. Tasted good. Slight herbal accents which I enjoyed.

In London now, while a friend has moved into my apartment to take care of my cat, my plants and tea collection during my absence :)
I use teabags when I travel, and I really needed this cup of TEA.EARL GREY. HOT. I had a morning flight, so my head is aching pretty badly due to sleep depravation. This tea has a calming effect on me, probably because it always conjures up the image of Captain Picard.
Find comfort in the little things.

This is my favorite Earl Grey at present. It is also the finest Earl Grey I am able to buy over the counter in this small town, so I am assuming that I may yet find Earl Greys I enjoy more than this one.

This tea has a very nice aroma, and the black tea to bergamot ratio is right on the money. I know they use bergamot flavoring rather than actual bergamot oil, but I have to remind myself that this is a mass market tea which I buy for $3 a box. This is about as good as you can do in that price range.

I drink this tea straight, hot, and strong. I hasn’t disappointed yet, so I think regardless of how many fancy tins of loose leaf Earl Grey I acquire in the future, this one will always be the baseline. It’s a nice comfortable cup that I can always come back to.

All and all, this is a very consistent tasting Earl Grey. It’s not the best, but I know what I’m getting from it, and it always delivers. It’s fairly tolerant to me screwing up the brewing too by walking away and letting it steep too long.

This isn’t my favorite Earl Grey, but it’s a bit cheaper than the others I drink, I can find it at a Mariano’s close to home, and I can re-use the tins of the loose leaf version for my other teas that don’t come in tins.

Being the enduring brand for Earl Greys, this is a must-try product for me during my transition from green to black tea.

I was lucky enough to snatch up two boxes from Shoppers for $3 apiece (bargain!) Strangely enough, Canadian shelves only carry the Earl Grey, Lady Grey and Chamomile from Twinings.

A delicious citrus scent met me when I tore open the package – a subject of much online griping after Twinings changed their formula. 3-4 minutes of steeping yielded a slightly murky shade, still with that overpowering citrus scent. I had a plain cup, and made my mom a cup with copious amounts of milk. One sip brought me back to the European tea salons (okay, they really do know their tea better across the pond). This is definitely one of the better bagged teas out there.

This will probably become my go-to Earl Grey, but I’m also itching to see what Harney and Sons has to offer.

Flavors: Lemon Zest

This EG is like a friend from childhood whom you contact every few years, and it’s like no time has passed at all between the two of you. Steady, reliable, tangy, and balanced beautifully. Nothing revolutionary or particularly unique here, but it’s a safe bet when you aren’t in the mood to experiment.

Lemon bars with earl grey infused into the shortbread layer…Mmmmm. Now this is the way to have bergamot

MissB

Ooh, sounds yummy!

VariaTEA

They are quite tasty. Not Jenny-approved but I have been cheating since I went on vacation and since my birthday is Saturday and friends are coming up this weekend, I figure I might as well enjoy myself and then get back on track on Monday.

sundaysipping

Do you have a recipe for these? They sound incredible!

VariaTEA

You can use any recipe to lemon bars and then just take like a handful of earl grey and add it to the dry mix of the shortbread layer through a strainer so there aren’t huge clumps of it.

Sipdown!

This was an extra on top of the Stash bagged teas I so generously was given by Kat_Maria from the Take It Away thread, and I sipped this one down before it even entered my cupboard. Go me! I was not going to let my tea number increase.

I’ve only tried a few Twinings teas, and that was a fair while ago. Stash is definitely my tea bag company of choice. Overall, this was pretty decent but a little bitter and harsh on the end sip. For a bagged Earl Grey, I’ve had much worse though.

This is my pantry back-up daily tea, for when I run out of my favorite and don’t have time to make loose leaf. It tastes good, but occasionally makes me a little nauseous feeling, no idea why.

Nice, light citrus-y tasting black tea. For a bagged tea (as well as the price), it’s not bad.

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Lemon Zest, Orange Zest, Vanilla