Earl Grey

Bergamot, Black Tea
Bergamot, Citrus, Bitter, Citrus Zest, Green, Lemon Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Orange Zest, Vanilla, Butterscotch, Guava
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “I found a recipe for Earl Grey lemonade and it made me curious. It has been very hot here recently and I have been drinking a fair amount of half-tea, half-lemonade that my fiance’s mother...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 545 tasting notes
  • “I have one more bag of this. I used to drink this often and loved it. Now I am finding it kind of meh. I hate it when the classics don’t quite live up to the memory.” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1521 tasting notes
  • “This is another tea I bought, mainly because I like Earl Grey. It is really one of my favorite [fruit flavored] teas. Surprisingly, I haven’t had all that many different brands of it, nor do...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “I am kind of confused by the myriad of Earl Greys that Twining’s seems to offer. I am now in Heathrow Airport (London) on my way to Madagascar and I had a bagged EG that wasn’t the...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2157 tasting notes

From Twinings

Fine black tea expertly blended with the citrus fruit flavor of bergamot, a citrus fruit.

To savour the full flavour of our teas, bring water to boil, and pour over the tea as soon as it reaches boiling. Over-boiling will cause oxygen to be reduced, making the tea taste “flat”. Brew 2-4 minutes or to desired taste.

Ingredients: Black Tea, Bergamot Flavouring

About Twinings View company

Grocery store teas often deserve more credit than they are sometimes granted by those who graduate to better teas. Are there better Earl Grey teas out there? You bet. Is this, when doctored up a bit with some cream and sugar, a reasonable tasty beverage? It is.

Disclaimer out of the way, this Earl Grey has just enough of a (vaguely lemon’ish) bergamont to carry a single steep in a small cup. After that you’re left with a one-note black with very little aroma and too much astringency.

I’ve been on a bit of an earl grey kick this week, so I decided to give this one a try at work. It was pretty much your generic grocery store earl grey: mild black base and weak bergamot flavor. On the plus side, I’m not noticing any bitterness or astringency. This is drinkable, but not something I’d reach for again. I definitely prefer Twinings’ Lady Grey.

Flavors: Bergamot

Well, I might have put ice cream in my tea. Again. I was running low on cream earlier this week and, since I had just made some vanilla bean ice cream over the weekend, I had the life-changing idea to melt a spoon of it to use in my Earl Grey.

This might just be my new favorite way to drink tea. Or any hot beverage. Or anything at all. Let’s just add ice cream to everything.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Fjellrev

Haha sounds like a legit diet.

Tealizzy

Lol! Awesome. :)

Veronica

Love it!

carol who

I think we all need to try it in the name of “Tea Science”. :D

Skulleigh

Just call it a tea float :D

Warm and cozy, perfect for a subzero day… I love Earl Grey for its classic taste. It is what I think of when I think of tea. Earl Grey from Twinings is my absolute favorite tea. What more can I say?

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

1980 tasting notes

Just an okay Earl Grey. I bought the sample pack out of curiosity and my curiosity is satisfied. It wasn’t horrible and I am not scarred for life or anything, but it was just tea, nothing special. I have purchased these while on vacation with minimal teaware and it sufficed, but Twinings has much better tea available than this one and I take loose leaf with me and find a way to make it work now! Their Blossom Earl Grey is preferable to this one for me.

On another subject, Steepster seems to be glitching horribly. I went to several friends pages and there are dozens, if not hundreds, or reviews that I have “liked” that no longer show it! Seriously, I am reading your notes and liking them, but for some reason it gets removed! I comment now and again, but I don’t know if those are being erased or not. :(

K S

The trouble with this one is the base is just too meh. It is a wallflower. Nice and polite but I couldn’t pick it out of a lineup.

I’m beginning to suspect that this is all part of Twining’s policy as the Earl Grey also suffers from what I am starting to call the American Deficit (when the same brand and style of tea has less flavor when purchased in an American Store than when purchased in other countries).

Some fair back and forth testing has confirmed my suspicion. A nice Earl Grey (not the best, but far from the worst) that’s reliably good when purchased from a retailer not located in the United States.

I got this from a friend of mine as a present, and it’s an Earl Grey so I have set quite high expectations for this one! Let’s sip! Wohoo!

The dry leaves look very produced. I don’t know whether this is the same exact tea they put in the bagged version of this (I’m not too sure if that exists though!). It typically looks like the tea leaves you would expect from bag, with here and there a longer leaf.

The scent, ladies and gentleman! The scent! Oh my gosh! Great. When I first opened the box I was like, meh, alright this is the thousand year old scent that was trapped for eternity in the box. Never have I been so wrong in my life! The scent remains even after I picked a few grams out of the box. Very intense scent! It’s obviously bergamot-scent as you would expect from an Earl Grey.

I steeped 5 grams in 300ml for about 2 minutes. The end result (as can be seen in the photos I’ve taken) is quite good. It’s about 60-70% dark. As the first sip goes down, I feel no dryness, no bitterness. It goes down slowly, mostly due to its very strong scent.

Bottom line: Great Earl Grey. Re-buying should I run out of the 3.56oz/100grams I have. :-)

Photos available here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127882037@N04/sets/72157648318765629/

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 10 OZ / 300 ML

Elusive citrus
Green in the black, green in brown
Earl grey is “light” tea.

I’m still wrapping my palate around what bergamot tastes like. I know it’s in the citrus family, so I’m thinking that the orange-peel flavor in this tea is it. Other than that, this tea tastes pretty green. The color is even a greenish brown! Not what I would have expected in my limited experience…

Flavors: Citrus Zest, Green

Meh, not a huge fan. Maybe it’s the citrus. I’d probably drink this if I had to, but I’d rather not.

In London now, while a friend has moved into my apartment to take care of my cat, my plants and tea collection during my absence :)
I use teabags when I travel, and I really needed this cup of TEA.EARL GREY. HOT. I had a morning flight, so my head is aching pretty badly due to sleep depravation. This tea has a calming effect on me, probably because it always conjures up the image of Captain Picard.
Find comfort in the little things.