Earl Grey

Lemon Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Orange Zest, Vanilla
Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

• “I found a recipe for Earl Grey lemonade and it made me curious. It has been very hot here recently and I have been drinking a fair amount of half-tea, half-lemonade that my fiance's mother has...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 526 tasting notes
  • “I have one more bag of this. I used to drink this often and loved it. Now I am finding it kind of meh. I hate it when the classics don't quite live up to the memory. ” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1317 tasting notes
  • “This is another tea I bought, mainly because I like Earl Grey. It is really one of my favorite [fruit flavored] teas. Surprisingly, I haven't had all that many different brands of it, nor do I have...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “I am kind of confused by the myriad of Earl Greys that Twining's seems to offer. I am now in Heathrow Airport (London) on my way to Madagascar and I had a bagged EG that wasn't the typical...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1964 tasting notes

From Twinings

Fine black tea expertly blended with the citrus fruit flavor of bergamot, to deliver an uplifting tea with a unique floral aroma and refreshing taste.

About Twinings View company

Excuse me while I alienate everyone. I hate this tea. I just do not like the flavor at all. No matter how many times I have tried it. I love earl grey. But not this one. ew.

Dearest Earl Grey:
I believe you don’t have the right to be in my cupboard anymore. Your wife, Lady Grey, may stay. Maybe I understeeped or oversteeped you. But, hey, my stepfather likes you!

Boiling

A solid, if slightly boring, Earl Grey. Best with a bit of cream or soy milk and sugar.

Twinnings is good. The favor is kind of weak but it sufficed my needs.

Quite good for a bagged tea. The UK import version is better, less bergamot, and more delicate. The US one is one of my favorite earl grays, beating out the extremely strong Rishi. A local importer has better tea, but for bagged tea in a morning when I don’t want to fuzt with a tea ball, it works quite well. The tastes is really good, not too strong. If you brew it for too long, it can take on a bitter taste.

This is my standard go-to bagged tea. Mostly because it’s the only Earl Grey I can buy at the grocery store in boxes of more than 24, but it’s a simple unoffensive tea. Nearly impossible to oversteep, so it’s great for those times when you’re a bit distracted and can’t baby your tea during the brewing process. The tea doesn’t stand on its own very well, but I prefer milk and sugar anyway.

Boiling

A year ago I would have rated this a lot higher than I will today, partly because I hadn’t tasted many black teas back then, and more to the point because I hadn’t tasted the lovely Lady Grey back then .. To be fair though, I do find this to be a nice cup of tea, with or without milk & sugar – but I’ve decided not to replace it when the current box runs out ..

One other note is that I’ve found some non-flavoured tea drinkers (my parents in particular) complain about the strong floral aroma of the Earl .. They’ve even asked me to not make ‘that perfumed tea’ while on vacation together, which of course I did, but went outside to drink it ..

This is my work tea. I have a bag full of the bags in a drawer. Forgiving when it comes to the water being too hot or oversteeping; not as prone to getting quite bitter, which is great if, like me, you could get dragged away from it at any moment. I like it best with a teaspoon of demerara sugar.

180 °F / 82 °C

I actually think even the bagged Earl Grey is quite okay. Or it could be because I had the Tazo version earlier and it made me cringe. But for some reason I like this with not boiling water. Perhaps I just have a really weird tongue.

As I said in another post, this is the tea that got me into drinking hot tea. There are better examples of Earl Grey that I have found both in loose and bagged form, but I always keep a box at the office. I consider it a guilty pleasure or a constant friend that will just always be there.