The Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by Scheherazade

From Twinings

The story goes that Earl Grey, the Georgian prime minister, was given cases of this tea by a Chinese Mandarin. He liked it so much he brought it home and asked Twinings to recreate it for him.

Light, fragrant and with a distinctive bergamot and lemon flavour, our Earl Grey still has all the taste of the original, and we like to think it’s still the best.

About Twinings View company

My daughter’s fiancé brought this tea as a gift when he visited from Northern Ireland recently. He is a big fan of Earl Grey and Lady Grey teas. This is a loose leaf version.

The leaf is of medium size and the aroma when you open the inner pouch is so citrus-y and fresh. This smelled like oranges to me, though the box describes bergamot and lemony flavor. The aroma isn’t too strong and doesn’t have that bathroom cleaner acrid smell that I have found in one or two Earl Greys.

I let it steep for three minutes. I did not add milk or sugar to this one and I find it really doesn’t need anything. If you like milk and sugar I feel sure this tea could handle it. The bergamot is present and has a light, fresh aftertaste. If you love really strong bergamot this probably won’t do it for you, but I am finding it to be a very satisfying mid-morning pot of tea.

Stoo

Buttering up the future mother-in-law. Smart dude! :-)

ashmanra

Indeed! And it gets even better! He loves to play Scrabble. I grew up on Scrabble and my hubby and I enjoy playing. It is almost like we picked him ourselves! :)

K S

Is this different than the American version? I believe the US version says flavored rather than oil of bergamot. I like it anyway.

ashmanra

I am not sure if it is differ, KS. On the bottom it says “100% black tea, bergamot flavouring.” Under that it says, “Tea with the fragrant flavor of bergamot.” The box is definitely different from what I see as loose Earl Grey at my grocery store. And it is actually called “The Earl Grey” not just Earl Grey.

K S

They sell the black box Twinings locally but I did not know if there was a quality difference. According to this link there probably is http://www.foodbanter.com/tea/79498-twinings-uk-vs-twinings.html

ashmanra

I haven’t noticed the black box around here. The one they sell at our local grocery is a tin, and I believe it is yellow. I may have seen this packaging at A Southern Season, though, because it does seem familiar.

A very nice bagged EG. I like to drink it with dinner. Perfectly balanced, and I think I’m getting licorice notes as well.

I haven’t had one of these in a long, long time. They were the first tea bags that really got me interested in trying different varieties of tea, so I owe them something for where I am now. Anyway, I added some of these to my last Twinings order on a whim. I generally stay away from supermarket tea these days (with the exception of Twinings Whole Leaf Silky Pyraminds, because I think they’re pretty good, and some of their whole leaf loose teas), but it’a always nice to re-visit old friends.

So, yes. This is pretty much how I remember it. A nice strong tea base, and just the right amount of bergamot flavouring for me. I don’t like a lot of Earl Grey varieties because they have far too much bergamot, and I find that a bit “ick”. I like to taste the tea in my Earl Grey — that’s a bih part of the experience for me. There isn’t all that much to say about this — it’s just one of those teas you can rely on. Unexciting, butunchanging, good stuff. I might keep a few of these on hand in the future, just for those days when I need something reassuring. I’m not sure why it is, but this tea is always that to me.

I enjoy this tea. It’s got a nice flavor, nothing artificial. I enjoy it with a touch of sugar, and milk (blasphemy, I know.)

I’m really keen on this, thought I’d try it at home my way after having it at a friends. I find this to be citrusy but not too much and a good amount of bergamot. The teabag form is good when steeped for 4-5 mins, and I like mine with a bit of sugar and tea. A good little afternoon tea.

I had a cup of this tea tonight while watching Downton Abbey (I have to stay true to my English roots, you know!) and it was surprisingly delightful. I will admit it… a few years ago someone gave me a bag of Earl Grey and I quickly tossed it after taking a whif of it. I’ve since heard a lot of good things about the tea and have decided to give it a try. The scent of the teabag & tea is very ‘peppery’ or ‘licorice-y’ (from the bergamot) but once it is steeped I find the taste to be very desirable. It has a pleasant hint of citrus to it that compliments the black tea (I took mine black tonight but I’ve heard that it is popular to add milk). I’m sure that I will return to this box in the near future. It is not something I’d drink every day but I most definitely do not regret trying it.