English Breakfast

Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Hippietea

• “I feel like calling winter into my office at 3:45 on a Friday and telling it to find another job. Church was cancelled today because of black ice. I had a suspicion last night when it started...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1249 tasting notes
  • “What I heave learned about china/beijing today: Take advantage of uber nice hotels since what's outside the hotel is pretty gross. And secondly....as a white foreigner in said hotel, when you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4667 tasting notes
  • “Working out of a temporary/makeshift office this week...but there's a Keurig in it. The problem is ... I don't think I'm very impressed with it. Have had two cups of Twinings EB and I'm not getting...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1688 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I had a cup of this before we went to New York on friday morning. It was so much fun! We went to the big Old Navy Store and the big Macy's. Then we went around Times Square and I took...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 526 tasting notes

From Twinings

A rich & satisfying robust black tea. The robust, malty character of this tea comes from pure Assam and Kenyan tea leaves grown in India.

Twinings English Breakfast Tea was originally blended to complement the traditional, hearty English Breakfast, from which its name derives. The refreshing and invigorating flavor makes English Breakfast one of the of the most popular black teas to drink at any time or occasion – not just for breakfast. English Breakfast can be enjoyed with or without milk, sweetened or unsweetened – the choice is yours.

About Twinings View company

Funny thing, this is the best English breakfast that I’ve had. I’ve had loose tea from David’s, The sante, and other local shops near me. I’m talking about the bags, not the loose tea here. For some reason, I like this one much better. It’s full bodied, and has a very rich taste. I like to put a little milk with it, which gives it an almost coffee like feel. When I’m really tired in the morning, this is my tea of choice. Strong, but with a rich taste.

Wake up call! Arggggggggggh.
Being groggy isn’t really the time for anything fancy, so EB shows up.
Not bad for the morning. It’s strong, so it wakes you up a bit.
Nothing special though, just good old black, but that might be because I didn’t add milk and sugar, which goes good with this. Or maybe it’s because I’m not drinking it with traditional breakfast food, since I’m really starving.

I seem to always have some of this around. I drink bagged teas at work because loose leaf is too fussy. This tea is ok. It tastes like it has always tasted, and I’ve drunk a lot of it over the years. Compared to the new loose leaf english breakfasts I’ve tried, it’s a little less bright and a little less deep, but it is by no means unpalatable.

I’m a newbie and this was one of the first loose leaves I was able to get my hands into. By itself it’s a bit blah, but I usually add 5 drops of homemade vanilla extract (couple of vanilla pods in a small jar, fill with vodka, wait for 6 months shaking each month) makes it lovely.

Today I tried rinsing the leaves for a couple of seconds and it helped lower the astringency and took care of some sediment.

I’ve never been a fan of English Breakfast but this is really kind of blah. It’s a cleaning out the cupboard cup ;)

For a bagged tea this one’s pretty good – no bitterness, nice and smooth, quite flavorful. It’s especially delicious when drinking while eating something “cinnamony.” I really need to try more loose leaf breakfast teas.

I drink this in the office Monday – Friday in the mornings. This is usually my first cup of loose tea of the day if I am not drinking coffee. This can be mixed with Yerba Mate during afternoon tea.

CupofTree

Hah same here, I drink it weekdays. Adding mate is a good idea!

Ok, let me preface this by saying this is my rating for a bag tea. It’s not fair to compare bag teas with loose leaf. The bag will loose 99.9% of the time. Having said that, the Twining teas have been very consistent and make a good cup. This English Breakfast is essentially my yardstick for all other English Breakfast bag teas. It produces a nice color, has a nice touch of malty-ness, and, for me, has just the right amount of caffeine. It takes milk and sugar well, but does fine without, too. You can find it in most chain grocery stores. Again, it will never compete with premium loose leaf, but it’s head and shoulders above the majority of the bag options.

I own the loose & its very earthy, good tea for a breakfast of eggs & scones. Lovely rich flavour, dark colour once brewed.

This was my first homemade Iced Tea.

I forgot to put sugar in the Tea, before I poured it over the ice cubes.
So I poured some hot water in another glass, and let the brown sugar melt in it.
Then I took the sugar water and poured it in the Iced Tea.

The taste was very bitter, I think I should have taken the Tea Bag up sooner.
I also tried to give the taste a little kick, with some lemon juice.

In the end, it tasted okay, but not as good as I wanted it to be.

Ingredients:
Water (about 0,33 cl.)
Twinings – English Breakfast (Tea Bag)
Ice Cubes
Lemon Juice
Brown Sugar

I think I will try this again soon, but with less steep time.

mpierce87

This is just my two-cents, so feel free to disregard this advice. I’ve found that the best iced teas are cold brewed. So put the tea bags or leaf into a pitcher of cold water in the fridge for 12-24 hours. If you want sweetener, do exactly as you did with the hot water/sugar mixture and pour into the tea. I’ve found that with cold brewing, the tea doesn’t get bitter just flavorful. Good luck.

Kasper Nymand

Thank you very much for your comment!
I will sure try brewing in cold water, instead of hot water.

On my way, the Iced Tea, would also just be lukewarm, because the hot water meets the ice cubes.

So I think, I will put the Iced Tea in the fridge, as you say.