China Oolong

Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

2 Images

From Twinings

Oolong tea has a very long and rich history. Its origins are said to go back over 1000 years to the Beiyun region in the Fujian Province in China. Unlike Black teas that are fully oxidized or Green teas that undergo no oxidation, Oolong is formed through a special technique that results in the tea’s partial oxidation. After withering, the tea is placed in muslin sacks and gently rolled. This bruises the leaf slightly, causing some oxidation to occur. This is repeated several times until the tea leaf turns darker green or reddish in appearance. Our Pure Oolong tea is golden in colour with a warm, toasty taste.

To savour the full flavour of our teas, bring water to boil, and pour over the tea as soon as it reaches boiling. Over-boiling will cause oxygen to be reduced, making the tea taste “flat”. Brew 3 minutes or to desired taste.

*We do not recommend using a microwave to boil your cup of water.

Ingredients: Fine Oolong tea expertly selected from the Fujian province, China

About Twinings View company

A lovely cup of tea that hits the spot on a cold day like today. A slightly sweet taste, very subtle. A bare smokey aroma that delights the nose. I think that next time I will added a little honey.

I must say that this one is a lot better than I expected it to be. Overall I consider Twining China Oolong to be a passable oolong tea just like the oolong at Chinese buffets is passable enough to be performed to ordering a soda instead. This is a light oolong which is good and perfectly fine in my opinion although I’d recommend it as a travel or work tea when one does not have the access to or the time brew a better quality oolong in a gaiwan.

This is the second of three samples I received from Twinings a couple of weeks ago. I followed the steeping parameters listed on their website and, while the dry tea smelled nice, the brewed tea is quite bitter. I added a good bit of honey to it, but it’s not really helping. This is better once it cools though still too bitter for my taste. Perhaps a lower temperature might help, but I don’t plan on buying more any time soon to find out.

Flavors: Bitter

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

It’s very bland but makes a decent iced tea when you want a change from grocery store quality blacks and greens.

Two teabags for 2 minutes, that’s what this tea needs. A shame that so many people have overbrewed this! Sadly lacking the lovely floral notes accompanied by many oolong teas, but still a pleasant cup.

I expected different flavors when I tried this tea, but I enjoyed it anyway. Probably not my favorite and I doubt I will get it again just because I never really like Oolong when I drink it. I am glad I tried it, though!

This is a great tea to serve chilled.

Erk blergh! Uh, I did not like this tea! It tasted like cardboard.

A bagged oolong that attempts to pick up the light smokey notes common to its looseleaf cousins, but only succeeds in producing a tea that smells and tastes faintly of an emptied ashtray. Difficult to tell whether extended steeping time would improve it; not recommended for drinking without food.

I used to live in China and am addicted to oolong teas. I was concerned that the pack didn’t say what type of oolong it was – tieguanyin, jade, oriental beauty etc, but I thought I’d try it any way as it was cheap. Unfortunately to me, it tasted like it had been stored badly – it had a slightly dusty, damp flavour. It became bitter after 3minutes of infusion. I wouldn’t recommend this tea if you like oolongs, there are better options out there, even if you have to pay a little more.