China Oolong

Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

2 Images

From Twinings

Oolong tea has a very long and rich history. Its origins are said to go back over 1000 years to the Beiyun region in the Fujian Province in China. Unlike Black teas that are fully oxidized or Green teas that undergo no oxidation, Oolong is formed through a special technique that results in the tea’s partial oxidation. After withering, the tea is placed in muslin sacks and gently rolled. This bruises the leaf slightly, causing some oxidation to occur. This is repeated several times until the tea leaf turns darker green or reddish in appearance. Our Pure Oolong tea is golden in colour with a warm, toasty taste.

To savour the full flavour of our teas, bring water to boil, and pour over the tea as soon as it reaches boiling. Over-boiling will cause oxygen to be reduced, making the tea taste “flat”. Brew 3 minutes or to desired taste.

*We do not recommend using a microwave to boil your cup of water.

Ingredients: Fine Oolong tea expertly selected from the Fujian province, China

About Twinings View company

I love oolong tea, but this one is pretty weak. I need at least two teabags and even then it’s weakish. I like subtle, but this falls a little flat for me; disappointing, given that Twinings has a pretty good reputation.

Pretty nice. Twinnings is usually a good go-to brand of teas for me, and I did enjoy it enough to finish the box off in relatively short order. A little on the light side, with not as much ‘oolong’ flavor as I’m used to, although the flavor is there. But I think I’ll stick to the cheap Golden Sail brand Oolong tea I get at the Eastern Arts store in the mall when it comes to this particular variety of tea.

This reminds me more of a low-grade unspecified black tea than an actual oolong. Tolerable with enough honey, but otherwise unremarkable.

Nice and sweet. Bitter a bit but that’s what makes it taste so good ;)

It’s a good tea, and i usually like it, but for some reason, i didn’t really care for the aftertaste.

Pleasantly light oolong flavor. Nicely bitter aftertaste.

I bought this along with the Twinnings Darjeeling. I actually can’t tell the difference between the two, except that the Oolong degrades faster after infusions.
To echo others: it doesn’t have much of a punch. The aroma is weak.
This is a so-so tea; I wouldn’t buy it again.

Decent cuppa, reminds me of a smoky green without the vegetal notes.

Five minutes of steepage isn’t doing justice for this tea, right off the bat. It doesn’t have a strong aroma… I need to put my nose quite close to my cup to catch its scent at all, really. The smell is subtle, roasty, and earthy… I wish it was stronger. I am reminded of brown rice cooking… that sort of nutty warmth.
Tastes much the way it smells. Seven minutes is what I would estimate the optimum steeping time. At five minutes it still tastes kind of watery.
I feel as if I should be eating steamed veggies to accompany this mug of tea.

This tea was smooth and not bitter, but on the weak side. We left this one brewing longer than most teas in the hopes it would toughen up. Over 5 minutes in one case. Two tea bags in a mug helped but it was still a little light.

A big leaf oolong is going to give more flavor since this is really only tea dust, but it works in a pinch but only if you like your teas on the light side. Strong tea fans not recommended. Herbal tea drinkers might like this one.