Prince of Wales (loose leaf)

Edit tea info Last updated by cookies

From Twinings

The blend is made from China black teas. The strong earthy scent of Prince of Wales Tea comes from high grade Keemun tea from the Anhui Province. The Keemun is blended with other teas from around China such as Gunpowder, Oolong, and Lucky Dragon for a mild and complex cup.

The tea was a personal blend of Edward, Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII.

Its many variations are produced by multiple companies. Edward granted Twinings Co permission to resell his personal blend using his royal title, in 1921. Twinings of London however recently withdrew its Prince of Wales tea from the United Kingdom market (although it is still marketed abroad), as witnessed by their official regional websites.

This blend is light in color and has a smooth and mild taste, with a well-rounded character. Great in the late morning or in the afternoon, it is perfect with or without milk and can be sweetened to taste.

About Twinings View company

I am really really liking this. The twinings mixed teabag box now made me discover two of my favorite, staple teas (fyi, the other being lady grey).

This is a pretty “different” kind of black tea. It is supposedly mixed with green and oolong, and it does show something of that. It is lovely.

I really enjoyed this blend. When I went to the shop, I knew they had loose Twinings tea and was hoping to find Lady Grey – but that was sold out. So, on a whim, I snatched up Prince of Wales because it was on the lighter side. (I’m still easing my way into strong black teas.)

I found this to be so yummy! I added a bit of rock sugar to sweeten things up a bit and really, really enjoyed this. I could see drinking this one on a very regular basis.

An old favourite. Intriguing blend. Not one bit malty. Loose is better than bagged.

I very much enjoy this tea, smooth as silk with no astringency. Fine cuppa straight up or with a little sweetener.

I like this tea better now that I’m brewing it a little hotter.

200 °F / 93 °C

very mild flavor, a little bland, but for a bagged tea, it is alright.

Another unexpectedly excellent bagged tea. Twinings, I feel, is particularly good at these.

While I am a Twinings aficiando, this is not the first tin I would grab when having a cuppa. That being said, I DO enjoy it (just not as much as, say, Earl Grey or Irish Breakfast). The flavor is delicate, and I believe does well without the addition of milk. Very nice, and good when I am in the mood to change things up.

This was a super quick sipdown for me. Probably the fastest I’ve ever accomplished considering it’s a 100g tin. It’s not the greatest tea around, but it’s become my go-to when I just can’t decide what I want. It’s also fantastic for mixing with Yunnans I’m not particularly fond of. Mixing about 60/40 with a Yunnan creates a taste closer to Harney’s Queen Catherine (which I adore). I’ve actually found blending it with Simpson & Vail’s China Black results in one of my absolute favorite teas. Despite the fact I don’t love China Black on its own I plan to stock up on it simply for blending with this one.

Am I allowed to count this as a sipdown if I have an unopened tin sitting in my cupboard? I’m going to go ahead and say yes. Sipdown 2/75

The flavor is a little more delicate than I usually prefer, but it is as “velvety smooth” as the description claims. It’s very nice for relaxing with, and goes well with the frou-frou imported honey I picked up at World Market.