Prince of Wales (loose leaf)

Edit tea info Last updated by cookies

From Twinings

The blend is made from China black teas. The strong earthy scent of Prince of Wales Tea comes from high grade Keemun tea from the Anhui Province. The Keemun is blended with other teas from around China such as Gunpowder, Oolong, and Lucky Dragon for a mild and complex cup.

The tea was a personal blend of Edward, Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII.

Its many variations are produced by multiple companies. Edward granted Twinings Co permission to resell his personal blend using his royal title, in 1921. Twinings of London however recently withdrew its Prince of Wales tea from the United Kingdom market (although it is still marketed abroad), as witnessed by their official regional websites.

This blend is light in color and has a smooth and mild taste, with a well-rounded character. Great in the late morning or in the afternoon, it is perfect with or without milk and can be sweetened to taste.

About Twinings View company

I am really really liking this. The twinings mixed teabag box now made me discover two of my favorite, staple teas (fyi, the other being lady grey).

This is a pretty “different” kind of black tea. It is supposedly mixed with green and oolong, and it does show something of that. It is lovely.

I really enjoyed this blend. When I went to the shop, I knew they had loose Twinings tea and was hoping to find Lady Grey – but that was sold out. So, on a whim, I snatched up Prince of Wales because it was on the lighter side. (I’m still easing my way into strong black teas.)

I found this to be so yummy! I added a bit of rock sugar to sweeten things up a bit and really, really enjoyed this. I could see drinking this one on a very regular basis.

An old favourite. Intriguing blend. Not one bit malty. Loose is better than bagged.

I very much enjoy this tea, smooth as silk with no astringency. Fine cuppa straight up or with a little sweetener.

I like this tea better now that I’m brewing it a little hotter.

200 °F / 93 °C

very mild flavor, a little bland, but for a bagged tea, it is alright.

too mild

Another unexpectedly excellent bagged tea. Twinings, I feel, is particularly good at these.

This tea is surprisingly nice. I have to admit I bought it because I love Twining’s tins (they stack so well) and just want to use it for other teas, but I happily ended up enjoying this tea. Knowing it was very light (not my preference) I overleafed right off the bat and I’m happy I did. It’s still not incredibly strong but it has nice flavor. Mostly sweet Yunnan at the beginning of the sip with some earthiness coming in later and a touch of smokiness (Keemun maybe?). Very smooth with no detectable astringency. Another reviewer compared it to Queen Catherine, and I think that’s a fair comparison. They seem somewhat similar but Prince of Wales seems to be heavier on the Keemun and a bit lighter and muddier tasting. Overall it’s quite nice.

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

The flavor is a little more delicate than I usually prefer, but it is as “velvety smooth” as the description claims. It’s very nice for relaxing with, and goes well with the frou-frou imported honey I picked up at World Market.