Lady Grey

Astringent, Bergamot, Drying, Lemon Zest, Orange, Citrus, Lemon, Orange Zest, Honey, Cookie, Grapefruit, Tea, Butter, Creamy, Malt, Earl Grey
Edit tea info Last updated by Janefan

2 Images

From Twinings

“A refreshing, light black tea with the distinctive citrus fruit flavor of bergamot to deliver an uplifting tea with vibrant aroma and zesty flavors of orange and lemon. Lady Grey Tea is a unique blend from Twinings…[with a] gentle citrus flavor that is both relaxing and refreshing. It is perfect in the morning with breakfast or for afternoon tea. Enjoy it with a little milk, or with sweetener, or to your liking.”

About Twinings View company

My latest Bluebird order arrived yesterday, so now I’m on a serious mission to reduce my cupboard in the hopes that it can be back under 200 before…too long? The easiest way to achieve this seems to be to focus on smaller samples and things I only have one of, and this teabag from a Twinings pick n’ mix fitted the bill.

I think I’ve only tried this once before in my life, which seems quite odd given that I pretty much grew up on Twinings. I’ve drank a lot more Earl Grey, but if I’m totally honest I think I actually prefer Lady Grey because the orange is more “actual orange” than slightly bitter bergamot, and it generally tastes like a creamsicle which is never a bad thing.

Today’s cup is no exception. I gave the bag 2.5 minutes in boiling water, no additions. The black base is light and bright tasting with mild citrus notes – probably a Ceylon. Of the added orange and lemon peel, orange is definitely the dominant flavour. It’s sweet, kai-ora like orange, maybe a bit over-ripe in terms of taste but it works well enough. There’s just a hint of slightly bitter lemon right at the end of the sip, but mostly this is a smooth and almost creamy tasting tea, perfect for a gentle start in the morning. I’d not rush out and buy loads, but an occasional visit to my cupboard would be no bad thing. As bagged tea goes, it’s one of the better ones.

At Strada Cafe, Berkeley – had a steaming hot cup of this. I remember liking this one the last time I had it, but it’s been a while so I wasn’t really sure how it would measure up today. Turns out it was quite tasty! I liked the blend of bergamot with more of a citrus accent, without being overdone. Some natural sweetness to it, unobtrusive black tea base. A very good back-up tea for a cafe setting.

This’ the last teabag of this. I like it enough that I might go and buy a full box. I’d get the full loose leaf, except that it doesn’t seem that anywhere around here sells it. The only Twinings loose leafs I’ve found are for Earl Grey and Gunpowder Green.

Besides, Tealicious seems to have plans for their own version of Lady Grey, so maybe I’ll just hold off on getting more until they come out with their own and try that first.

As you may have noticed, I haven’t updated a lot lately, and I will tell you my reasoning: unless I find something particularly interesting the following times I drink something, I most likely will not log it. May give the impression I don’t drink much tea. More like I require VARIETEA. (Har har, look at my pun.) cough Anyways.

Waking up with a cup of bagged Lady Grey, because I needed something light and citrus-y to fill my nostrils and taste buds! It’s very forgiving on steep times and temperatures, and I drink it straight because it never strikes me as bitter or too bold. Personal preference would normally lead me to Irish Breakfast, but this is a lazy morning that requires the power of tea and fruit in one cup, rather than soothing milk that will paralyze my senses until I am prepared to realize that I am, in fact, quite conscious. Today, I am off to Sotheby’s with my college twin, so I have to look lively!

myspecialtea :)

lol….sorry, it was just the way i read the first line of this paragraph:

“Waking up with a cup of BAGGED LADY Grey….”

I’m enjoying a cup myself as i’m reading this…i’m sure the Bagged Lady Grey liked it as well ;)

1931 tasting notes

Earl Grey for the bergamot hater. The citrus keeps the berga-monster from getting out of control. I’m seeing “froot loops” in at least one review, and I understand and appreciate where that comparison came from.

Over at a friends house this morning, and the only thing on offer is this Lady Grey. (When will I learn to travel with teas?)
But the good news is I’ve had this before, and I still like it now. Its pleasant, digestible, and light. A nice start to the morning, even if I am away from home.

I wasn’t sure what I wanted, and I have a lot of this for some reason, so this is what I’m having. And you know, I actually like it. (I guess there is a reason I have so much of it.) It really is a citrusy take on Earl Grey and a decent one at that. It’s good to keep some bagged tea around for when you need a quick and mindless cup, and this does just the trick.

ashmanra

This one makes my pinky go up in the air! I feel hoity-toity when I drink it!

This was my morning cup at the B&B this morning. I am use to getting up at 4:30am with the youngest so my idea of sleeping in late is well not my friends idea of sleeping in. So I got up and enjoyed some quiet time, a book and this cup.

This is a very soft version of EG. I enjoyed this. Nothing mind blowing, but pretty damn good. I would love to get my hands on the loose leaf version some day to give it a try.

My first Lady Grey – it tastes like Earl Gray, I enjoyed it.

This cup of tea should have been a disaster. I overbrewed by about three minutes, and it is bagged. I also skipped any type of additions, as I usually lightly sweeten my tea. However, this is quite good! I am shocked, and this needs to be on my shopping list for when I am travelling. When not at home, it is good to have fool-proof tea on hand…..
Thank you to teawing for sending me some of this to try!

Boiling 8 min or more