Ceylon Orange Pekoe

Edit tea info Last updated by Zanato

From Twinings

Ceylon Tea comes from the country that today is known as Sri Lanka. Twinings Ceylon tea is made using the finest quality high grown teas from the Dimbula region in western Sri Lanka. In the 1870’s, Ceylon became a major tea producing area after the coffee crop failed. Its tea is still referred to as “Ceylon” despite the country changing its name to Sri Lanka in 1972 following independence. Ceylon is ideal to drink at any time of day and is great for ice tea too. Drink black, with a little milk and sweeten to taste.

About Twinings View company

I have this tea almost every day. Adding orange blossom honey really helps bring out the citrus notes.

This is the first time I have had this one. It is the bagged version. I don’t know, it seems kind of thin. I was expecting big bold and malty. The aftertaste is kind of fruity. It is a bit drying. It does remind me of Charleston Plantation black tea.

Siiiiiiiiiiick.

This weekend has freaking sucked.

Made a cup of this before my giant meeting, and added a spoonful of lemon juice and honey. Here’s to hoping like hell that it helps me kick this cold.

I’m a Ceylon hound. I sniff it out wherever I go and although I love the dark maltiness of a pure black Ceylon tea, the Twinings blend is definitely that with a modest bolt of citrus. This, to me, is a pleasant evening tea to help settle a full stomach. Don’t bother with milk – just add honey or a light sweetener. My nightly ritual has become more interesting with a bag of Twinings Ceylon Orange an hour before bedtime. When it comes to the caffeine content in this blend, the bark is worse than its bite. I have no problem nodding off to sleep at night.

This tea isn’t terrible, but I wouldn’t buy it again. I liked it well enough hot, with or without honey, but it didn’t stand out to me. I’ll probably leave it at my parents house just to have a bit of variety in tea. On a side note, the only orange I noticed was maybe a hint of orange blossom in the smell once brewed.

I had this one years ago and have not been able to find it locally again. One of the best orange pekoes I’ve tried.

Again I must repeat, Twinings US tea bags are made for 6 oz cups…not the huge mugs most people use to brew tea, so if it tastes weak to you that may be the issue.

I was in Indiana this past weekend visiting some friends and I knew I wasn’t in DC anymore, Toto, when I walked into the supermarket and asked a clerk where the tea was.

He looked at me. “What kind of tea?”
I’m sure I gave him a “are you stupid or just sh*tting me” look in return.
“Do you mean the kind in bags that goes in hot water?” he clarified, complete with hand motions miming lifting a tea bag in and out of a mug of water.
After he directed me to the tea aisle, I realized he was differentiating between tea and iced tea – the kind you make with a powder and was nowhere to be found near the bagged teas.

My mind. It is boggled.

Anyway, among the boxes of bagged tea, there were a few lone tins of loose tea by Twinings. I was thrilled to find them, even though quality-wise, I knew they weren’t that great. I needed caffeine. So I snagged a tin of the Ceylon Orange Pekoe, which was what got me through several semesters of 8 AM classes in college, albeit in bagged form.

Ceylon Orange Pekoe is nothing special. It’s just a plain black tea. There is no subtlety to the flavor, and no fruit taste I can discern. But it was tea. And it was caffeinated. And it helped me get through the hours in Indiana with my friend’s crazy family until it was socially acceptable to move to alcohol.

Cheri

I laughed out loud at this. My mind is also boggled.

Debbie

I had such culture shock this weekend. Between the tea, being served mushrooms in BBQ sauce, and the smoked American cheese masquerading as “gouda”…

Cheri

Wow. Just…Wow.

Mushrooms in BBQ sauce?? Smoked American cheese?? Wow.

My go-to morning tea before I started to get fancy. I will always come back to it!

This is perfect for my office workday daily cuppa.
No fuss, no muss, tastes fine with the not-quite boiling water from the coffee maker’s “hot water” tap, doesn’t need milk or sugar. I always keep it stocked in my desk drawer.

This tea is perfectly adequate given that nothing else is available. Slightly fruity and floral. Becomes astringent easily. I’ve had worse tea, but. I’ve also had better.