Lapsang Souchong

Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

2 Images

From Twinings

Lapsang Souchong, also referred to as smoked tea, is one of the worlds’ oldest and most distinctive black teas. The tea is grown in the Wuyi Mountains in the Fujian Province of China and is made by only a select number of estates. Once a very secretive process, Lapsang Souchong is prepared using the same manual techniques today that have been passed down from generation to generation. After the tea is plucked, the leaves are withered over cypress or pine wood fires. They are later placed into barrels so that the smoky aroma intensifies. As a final step, the leaves are placed into flat wicker baskets and positioned on bamboo trays over smoky pine fires, where they dry and absorb even more aroma. The finished tea leaves are thick and black and when steeped in hot water, produce a rich tea with a unique, smoky taste.

To savour the full flavour of our teas, bring water to boil, and pour over the tea as soon as it reaches boiling. Over-boiling will cause oxygen to be reduced, making the tea taste “flat”. Brew 3 minutes or to desired taste.

*We do not recommend using a microwave to boil your cup of water.

Ingredients: Fine black tea expertly selected from the Fujian province, China

About Twinings View company

I also got this as part of a Twinings sample thing. Meh.
First impressions: Smells like fake smoke and leather. There’s also something that’s vaguely reminding me of the beach, but I can’t put my finger on it. And I just brought it out to my desk at work and everyone’s going to hate me when they walk by because the smell is so strong. Oh, well.

It tastes pretty much how it smells. I’m not a fan. This is the first lapsang souchong I’ve ever tasted, though. I’m sure there are better ones out there. At least I didn’t pay for this one.

Edit: I only managed two sips and had to throw it out. The smell is too much. And now I can’t get the smell off of my hands. Ugh.

Flavors: Leather, Smoke

This is a sample I received from Twinings. I’ve seen comments and notes on here about the smoky Lapsang Souchong tea and have been wanting to try it for a while. Twinings seems to be hit or miss for me – some of their teas are favorites and others I could do without. So I don’t know if Twinings is the best place to start for this one, but here we are.

I could smell the smoky aroma coming from this tea before I even opened the bag. The fragrance is reminiscent of beef jerky or those dried bacon bits you might find nestled into a salad bar. The more I smell it, the more I love it. It’s quite intriguing.

As it steeps, I’m noticing more of the tea but still a deep, lingering smokiness – a campfire burning at dusk. It’s very strong to taste, but this probably has something to do with me accidentally measuring 6 ounces of water instead of the recommended 8 ounces. I’m not terribly concerned – I’m loving this. It’s full of character and incredibly different but also so reassuringly familiar.

Flavors: Campfire, Smoke

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 7 OZ / 200 ML

LS is one of my favorite kinds of tea. I love it, though not everyday. It’s just such an adventure in a cup!

I felt the same way! It really was quite an experience.

This is the first Lapsang Souchong I’ve ever purchased and the name itself is a interesting ear-worm. I’m still not familiar on a perfect brew temp so the first time I tried it I did it wrong and put me off. The smell itself was interesting; a nice earthy wood-burning scent that reminds me of smoking meats in a smoker. The first time I tried it was like a punch to the face I brewed it so much that it tasted salty! The second time I did some researched and steeped it for less time and it came out better then expected. This won’t be the last time I’ll try it there are probably better brands out there. Did I mention this makes me fear that the smell of Lapsang Souchong will permeate to my other teas?

whoa baby, smells like a barbecue

One of my very favorites

My preferred lapsang.
I have a “vintage” edition (dated on 2005 and found at the bottom of a cupboard) that is stronger and more pleasant that the regular one.

This was the first Lapsang Souchong I ever tried and I still keep a box at work in case I’m ever in the mood. I personally find that it smells smokier than it tastes, which is ok because it tastes really smokey! I prefer this tea during the fall or winter. It seems to fit the mood of the cold weather months much better. My 17 year old cousin calls this “the campfire tea”.

I love smoky teas, but this is a little too much like drinking pine tar. It leaves a harsh feeling in my throat and feels like it should be carcinogenic. It’s not a bad bagged smoky tea and I would happily drink this for convenience’s sake, but I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a better bagged lapsang souchong.

This is the ultimate, penultimate lapsang souchong tea. I have tried different brands but always come back to this; though I have to order online from Britain as they no longer sell this tea in Canada. How can I describe the taste? Comforting, soothing, redolent of raspberries and cherries (to me, anyways) – perfect with a little soy milk creamer and agave nectar. My go-to tea of all time.

Possibly my favourite tea of all time. The taste and aroma is like nothing else, and gives me that campfire-nostalgia feeling too, though of what I’ve no idea!

Makes me feel warm and comfy inside, perfect for Winter.