Lapsang Souchong

Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

2 Images

From Twinings

Lapsang Souchong, also referred to as smoked tea, is one of the worlds’ oldest and most distinctive black teas. The tea is grown in the Wuyi Mountains in the Fujian Province of China and is made by only a select number of estates. Once a very secretive process, Lapsang Souchong is prepared using the same manual techniques today that have been passed down from generation to generation. After the tea is plucked, the leaves are withered over cypress or pine wood fires. They are later placed into barrels so that the smoky aroma intensifies. As a final step, the leaves are placed into flat wicker baskets and positioned on bamboo trays over smoky pine fires, where they dry and absorb even more aroma. The finished tea leaves are thick and black and when steeped in hot water, produce a rich tea with a unique, smoky taste.

To savour the full flavour of our teas, bring water to boil, and pour over the tea as soon as it reaches boiling. Over-boiling will cause oxygen to be reduced, making the tea taste “flat”. Brew 3 minutes or to desired taste.

*We do not recommend using a microwave to boil your cup of water.

Ingredients: Fine black tea expertly selected from the Fujian province, China

About Twinings View company

I got excited when I saw this sitting in my teacher’s tea basket. She was excited that I wanted to try it. So, after several attempts of taking a drink (and burning myself) I finally got a taste.

First, it doesn’t really taste like much. It tastes a little peppery to me. Not bad but not something that I would drink all the time.

Second, this tea smells like bacon. I swear it does. One of my classmates sat down from me and asked where the bacon was so I wasn’t the only one.

Overall, it isn’t something I would drink all of the time but it was interesting to try.

A very smooth tea, one that makes you feel as though you are sitting in a log cabin with a big sweater on and the snow falling outside. Definitely has that distinctively smokey taste but slides down so easily.

haven’t had the loose leaf of this tea, but my canadian wife finds this tea completely nostalgic… its smoky flavor reminds her of cross-country skiis and 70s dads.

i love this tea. it somehow brings to mind the scent of swix x country ski wax…a big childhood memory. tar like. smoky. full flavored.