Irish Breakfast

Astringent, Malt, Tannin, Lemon, Raisins
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Twinings

A strong, full-bodied black tea from the regions of Ceylon and Assam expertly blended with a hearty flavor and delightful aroma.

The Irish really love their tea and are amongst the most frequent drinkers of tea around the world. In celebration of this tea drinking tradition, Twinings blended a special Irish Breakfast Blend. This tea is best taken with milk and sweetened to taste to bring out the best flavor.

About Twinings View company

Hmm, this time was just “meh”, I guess since I’m starting to notice the difference between this and say the Assam from DAVIDsTEA and to prefer the latter. Ah, the pursuit of good tea – it’s why we’re here! :)

This tea seems to taste different whenever I have it. This time for Breakfast it woke my mouth up, got me doing some warm ups and then prepared me for a big dose of English Muffin. It’s just great on any occasion again with a little milk and some sugar. Oh, how I love the versatility of this tea.

This tea kicks my butt in the afternoon when I’m starting to get sleepy. Nice and strong, even seems surprisingly forgiving when I accidentally steep it too long. Distractions at work? Never! Probably because it is so strong that my tastebuds aren’t given a chance to notice anything tannic about it. I drink it straight, but it probably would mellow out with some milk.

This is my normal office tea. I tend to forget that I put a tea bag in and steep it way too long, but it’s still quite drinkable. I like the bitterness and astringency that it has (even when steeped a more reasonable amount of time). This is a serious no joke black tea.

This is my standby, always in the cupboard late night cup. Plenty hot with milk and sugar, and I can practically feel my nerves slowly smooth out and unfrazzle. Not the most adventurous cup, but a good reliable cup every time.

So this was an interesting experience this morning. First, I’d been doing the decaf thing for a while so when I decided I would just do the full caffeine version… hmm. maybe not the wisest choice as I feel a bit jittery now.
As for the flavor. I took my first sip just after finishing a glass of juice. Not pleasant at all. I was terribly disappointed since I remember enjoying this tea. It tasted really old and stale.
After I got the juice/sweet taste out though, I continued and it was much improved. I used a small amount of milk in it and it’s very enjoyable over my eggs and toast. I’ll continue using this one in the am but I think I’ll try to remove some of the caffeine, steer clear of drinking it with juice and likely not add any sweetener just to be safe (I’m not a fan of sweet teas anyway.)

Dark, rich… almost coffee-like in its strength. Needs quite a bit of milk! (I’m a wuss.) An excellent morning drink.

My first Irish Breakfast tasting was a Twinings Irish Breakfast tea, and it was delicious. All I needed to add was a touch of sugar or honey, and that was fine enough for me. I find this to be a great way to bounce back from a rough morning.

Good anytime cup of brew, the perfect start to anyday!

I LOVE this tea! I drink it with a teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of milk, at least 3 mornings a week :)