Irish Breakfast

Lemon, Malt, Raisins, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I felt that it was only fitting to start St. Patrick's Day with a big, super strong (steeped for 15 minutes....yea, I'm a bit crazy) mug of Irish Breakfast....not that I really needed an excuse to...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes
  • “Happy 4th of July, U.S. Steepsters!!! Tea of the morning here (in teabag form). Not at home again and the BF picked it out. Still, it's pretty good even for a teabag. Some nice malty notes...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2466 tasting notes
  • “Last bag of my box! I'm excited to be finishing up teas. I'm not sure if I would buy this again because I found a tea that I like drinking in the morning better. But it is good. I just think I'm...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 526 tasting notes
  • “Hospital tea. I generally like this, pleasant and strong with no bitter bite; but there's just something about Styrofoam that messes with the leaf, no matter what. ” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1736 tasting notes

From Twinings

A strong, full-bodied black tea from the regions of Ceylon and Assam expertly blended with a hearty flavor and delightful aroma.

The Irish really love their tea and are amongst the most frequent drinkers of tea around the world. In celebration of this tea drinking tradition, Twinings blended a special Irish Breakfast Blend. This tea is best taken with milk and sweetened to taste to bring out the best flavor.

About Twinings View company

Note: This is a review for the bagged version.

I assumed this would be relatively the same as English Breakfast tea, but it is actually a bit stronger, though the tastes are similar. It says on the box that it is robust, and I’d say that’s pretty accurate. ;-)

Boiling

loose leaf review.

I love this tea!! okay i haven’t had a great many teas yet because I’m still a beginner but so far this is one of my favorites!!! I don’t have a lot of tea equipment yet but i just use two teaspoons for my large mug (about 400 ml or a little over 12 ounces).

I feel, like someone else said in their review, that i just can’t get enough. I’m not sure what temperature i steep it at, I just wait till just after boiling to pour it into my cup.

Ahh, the last of this tin, just means there’s more room for new tea. Good strong cup of tea this morning, but next time I get Twinings Irish Breakfast, I think I’ll stick to buying the bags. The loose tea is just so tiny, every cup ends up having a bunch of dust in it. I usually prefer loose to bagged, but this is one of those teas that’s better off staying in the bag.

If other black teas ease you into wakefulness, this is a firm boot in the ass. And possibly a slap in the face, all at the same time. It’s as though this tea is saying, “YOU. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU’VE GOT THE RIGHT TO BURY YOUR HEAD UNDER THAT PILLOW?!? OUT OF BED AND ON YOUR FEET, ON THE DOUBLE, SOLDIER!”

This tea? It is the R. Lee Ermey of the Twinings lineup. Sometimes, that’s totally what you need in the morning. Other assessments that mention it as a potentially great tea after a night of heavy drinking are also spot-on.

This is one of my go to teas. It’s definitely strong enough to stand up to milk/sugar. I really enjoy the flavor of this tea with just sugar in it as well.

Call me crazy, but I think the teabag version is better than the loose tea. This is my favorite tea ever. I drink it with milk and sugar usually.

Enjoying with a breakfast of hot oatmeal with local honey and cranberries. The Irish Breakfast has a slight spicyness from the assam tea. A splash of milk curbs any bitterness.

I love this tea! For the most part I’ll drink Twinings Earl Grey loose leaf at home, and when I go to work I’ll transition to bagged Irish Breakfast. For what it’s worth, I think that this tea (with a little bit of milk and sugar) is the best part of my work day! The flavor is strong without being overpowering. As many other have already said, it does definitely have a malty taste and the assam is well balanced. It’s my “at-work-go-to”!

This tea is pure malt. No subtlety, no delicacy, just deep strong malty liquor. And that’s not a bad thing at all. It’s not a tea I choose to drink on its own, but it’s one of my go-to teas for accompanying meals when the subtleties of other teas would be lost. This tea gets bitter quickly, I assume this has something to do with the teeny CTC leaves, so any more than a 3 minute steep is undrinkable for me. There are certainly far better Irish Breakfasts out there, but this is one that I can find (even loose) in just about every grocery store around these parts. And for the price it’s darn good.

Loose version.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

You could do a lot worse buying tea at WalMart. Get the Twinings Classics Black Tea Variety pack, its great.
In-Depth:
Aroma
This smells like a ‘proper’ black tea to me. Very warm, inviting scent. Some malt to it, I also smelled some raisins and lemon citrus undertones. Could be just me. :S Wonderful nonetheless.
Flavor
Has some bitterness, or perhaps I just steeped it longer than I should have. I enjoy a little bitterness, but I imagine others may want to put some milk in. Sugar wouldn’t be necessary. Drink it while its still hot to enjoy it. I swear those raisins are in there.
Notes
I wouldn’t say its a relaxing tea, but who would expect “Irish Breakfast” to calm you down. Its a pleasant pick me up though, and I thoroughly enjoy it. It serves its purpose as a black tea, and serves it well.

Flavors: Lemon, Malt, Raisins