Darjeeling

Astringent, Wood, Biting, Bitter, Earth, Honey, Straw, Grapes, Raisins, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From Twinings

The light golden black tea from the foothills of the Himalayas is considered the champagne of all teas. Expertly blended with a delicate and unique character that is likened to the Muscatel grape.

Darjeeling teas are grown in the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains in northeast India. The high altitude, soil and climate of the Darjeeling plantations contribute towards the unique and delicate taste of this tea. Twinings Darjeeling uses the finest first and second flush teas (those picked in the spring and summer) in this blend. Darjeeling is often regarded by connoisseurs as one of the finest teas. Darjeeling is best drunk black or with a touch of milk.

About Twinings View company

Can get a bit bitter. It’s just OK.

This is an alright tea, but very touchy. I had a wonderful cup a few days ago. It was smooth and light, with a honey note on the end.
Today I prepared a cup the same way as before, and it turned out so bitter and horrid, that I poured it down the drain.

Not a very exciting day of tea today. This is not brilliant, but the best I could come up with. I am still hoping to find a black tea that doesn’t need milk and comes in tea bags, because it makes it easier to take into work. Posh teabags are expensive butat some point I will have to try them

This is the only tea you will ever see me time the brewing of precisely. I’ve admittedly ruined many a cup by forgetting to set a timer for 5 minutes, and employing my usual “make it, set it down to cool to a drinkable temp, and walk away, sometimes forgetting it for upwards of 20 minutes” method. Beyond 5 minutes, it gets so bitter as to be utterly unenjoyable. But, at 5 minutes, it makes a good cup.

And this is about my 4th cup of tea today. It’s just been THAT kind of day, apparently…

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more

I really need to figure out how to work that hot pot.
This went bitter very quickly, but I’m eating Nutella and watching The Avengers; it’s not really a big deal.

Boiling 8 min or more

I credit this tea as the one that got me into Darjeeling. Now that I’ve sampled a few loose leaf Darjeelings, I know the Twinings one isn’t that great. Still, I like the woody flavor and the astringency when I’m in the mood for it. It’s a bit like drinking a table leg.

Flavors: Astringent, Wood

I bought this tea on a whim from a local Food City store. I tend to have a sentimental attachment to Twinings products and I like Darjeeling teas, so I figured that this is one I should try.

After trying this tea in a couple of different preparations, I can safely say that I like it. The tea displays delicate aromas of honey, earth, straw, and wood. In the mouth, I detected delicate flavors of wood, straw, honey, and earth underscored by a subtle bitterness. On the finish, earthy notes linger while bitterness and astringency become more pronounced. Additions of milk and/or sugar tame the bitterness and astringency and allow the honey notes to really shine through. Subtle fruitiness and caramel sweetness also emerge.

Honestly, I don’t get the low reviews for this tea. Sure, it’s not the most complex Darjeeling in the world, but its straight-forward, unassuming nature is rather appealing. All in all, I find this to be a very thin, light-bodied tea that is super approachable. I also think one has to be realistic with their expectations when approaching this tea and review it for what it is. Twinings Darjeeling is not going to compete with super premium loose leaf Darjeelings from smaller companies and that’s fine because it’s not meant to. This is a readily available bagged Darjeeling that you can get for around $3 from most retailers. For what it is, it really is far from bad.

Flavors: Astringent, Biting, Bitter, Earth, Honey, Straw, Wood

Whiteantlers

Hooray for a nice commentary. Sometimes a bagged tea is just that and should be appreciated for exactly what it is.

I was somewhat disappointed in this tea. I expected more flavours and spices but instead it was too similar to a standard black tea. Not bad but definitely not great. Perhaps Twinings played up the ‘exotic quality’ of the tea which may have partially dashed my hopes.

Flavors: Bitter

This tea bites.
I struggled to finish my cup.
Maybe I should blend this with some other tea?

Flavors: Biting

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 240 ML
ashmanra

Maybe lower temp and shorter time will tame some of the bite? Darjeelings can be pretty harsh.

Louise Li

I tried brewing at 90-92’c steeping for 2 minutes only, still not helping much.
I plan to blend this with another mediocre tea, see how that will turn out.

This is without question the most bitter thing I have ever put in my mouth. I’m very sensitive to bitter flavors, and this one was just too much. The bag smelled like maté, a Chilean beverage which tastes like alfalfa and tire treads, but the tea turned out to be much more bitter than maté, which I didn’t think was possible.

I took the first cup straight, and steeped it for only 3 minutes because it smelled so strongly. That first cup practically ate through the lining of my stomach. I steeped the next cup for only 2.5 minutes and I added milk and sugar, which did not cut the bitterness at all. For the third cup I tried honey, but I just couldn’t make it drinkable.