Organic Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

From two leaves and a bud

Our organic, best-selling Earl Grey starts with a great quality, organic large leaf, sweet black tea (not “blending teas”) from Ceylon (Sri Lanka). two leaves and a bud adds just a hint of pure bergamot oil to create the famous Earl Grey taste.

About two leaves and a bud View company

I made a cup of this for the first time in a long time the other day but it got ruined because I guess my travel mug wasn’t cleaned properly. This time it is clean!

I went to a coffee shop at the airport and ordered a hot tea, but got them to fill my travel mug with hot water and give me the tea bag separate. I was given a choice between two seemingly different decaffinated Tetley tea bags. LOL no. I kindly took the tea bag and then back at my seat and whipped out a sachet of this.

I forgot how pleasant this is. Smooth, malty base, well-balanced citrusy bergamot. These are good travel sachets to have, and they are available at some grocery stores.

Not a bad Earl Grey. A little too light to inspire me to switch from my regular steep. I did a long review on my blog.

A beautiful bergamot aroma filled the air when I opened this package. I just love bergamot!

I do wish that the brewed liquor were a little more fragrant, but the flavor is very nice. It is pungent and juicy with citrus flavor and a pleasant bergamot sharpness to it that I really like.

I got this tea in a swap, and of course the Earl Greys are the first teas I hit. Steeped for about 3 minutes, added just a little sugar.

High quality tea. I could barely taste the ‘hint’ of bergamot. I do think I can taste hints of jasmine though there shouldn’t be any jasmine.

Now to see how the leaves stand up to a second steeping.

My first whiff of the dry leaf in the pyramid bag was a little strong. The bergamot is perhaps stronger than I would prefer (a non-regular Earl Grey drinker). The brewed liquor is a nice deep amber and the aroma is similar to that of the dry leaf.

My first few sips were when the tea was freshly brewed and pretty hot still. The lemony bergamot really packed a wallop and I wasn’t particularly fond of it. It had a vaguely soapy, almost Pine Sol-like after taste for me. I let the cup sit a bit and the tea cooled. Once it was in the “pleasantly warm” category, I tried it again and basically all of the bergamot overkill had passed into history.

I think this will make a nice iced Earl Grey in the summer months, but I think I’ll pass on future hot cups.

Thanks again to Two Leaves and a Bud for sending along this sample for me!

In the airport my choices were McDonald’s for tea or this tea at a coffee stand. I went for this :) Not too disappointed. I wouldn’t by the tea in a store but one of the better teas I’ve gotten out. The flavor has a good balance. I usually find earl grey’s are too strong or lack flavor but this one doesn’t have either problem.

I’ve been drinking this tea relatively consistently in the last couple weeks and I am always happy with it. I love the flavors that come out but since I am still a teenager and my taste buds aren’t fully developed I generally add a bit of milk for creamy and sugar because I do still like sweetness.

This is my mother’s absolute favorite Earl Grey and so I bought her a few boxes and tried a cup. So far this is an enjoyable Earl Grey. The level of bergamot isn’t too sharp and it has a light and pleasant citrus flavor. I’d love to have it with some cranberry scones and Devonshire cream.

Got this as a sample. Did not like it when I first try it. Try it again and I liked a lot better.

At Beyu Caffe, Durham. A great find, with live music and a full menu (with vegetarian and gluten free options noted, too!)