Ginseng Oolong from China

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Kristin

From Unknown

One of my book group cohorts went to China recently and the only thing she brought back was tea. She brought a bag of Oolong to share with the group. Sadly, I don’t know much else about this tea. It was in a white vacuum sealed bag with Chinese writing. My friend said it was a medium grade Oolong. The leaves were all balled up tight and were shaped like chocolate chips. I’ve added a pic to this so you can see it. It looks like a Ginseng Oolong.

Here is a more artistic pic of the tea that I like a lot.

About Unknown View company

One of my bookgroup cohorts went to China recently and the only thing she brought back was tea. She brought a bag of Oolong to share with the group. And, she sent me home with a bunch of it in a ziploc bag (woot!). Sadly, I don’t know much else about this tea. It was in a white vacuum sealed bag with Chinese writing. My friend said it was a medium grade Oolong. The leaves were all balled up tight and were shaped like chocolate chips. I don’t think it was a Ginsing Oolong, but it definitely looks like one. Here is a pic:

Does anyone know if the tea could be a regular oolong and look like that?

Anyway, it has a slightly vegetal taste (but not overwhelming) and has a light peachy flavor in the background. We did 2 steepings and both were great.

Rabs

I want a bookgroup cohort to go to China and bring back tea! That’s so awesome :D Sorry, but I can’t help on the tea identification :(

Kristin

I know. It was really nice of her! :)

Rabs

Wow — that tea looks amazingly cool! They’re like little pebbles! Unfortunately, that means that I’m still unable to help, but now I’m even more curious to find out along with you.

Payton

That’s almost definitely a ginseng-covered oolong. They’re very popular in China. What makes you think it isn’t one?

Kristin

Well, I don’t know what ginseng tastes like so I didn’t know. Also, the person who gave it to me just said it was an oolong. Some people did say they tasted licorice in it and I read that licorice is sometimes put into ginseng oolong, so it probably is.

Thanks for the confirmation. I’ll rename it. :)

Batrachoid

Ooh, a detecive novel of a tea! My thanks to you friend. It likely does have licorice in it if there’s any flavoring. In China, licorice flavoring goes into pretty much every flavored tea and preserved foodstuff …