Da Hong Pao

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinah Saur

• “This was the final Red Robe oolong I tasted in my side-by-side(-by-side) comparison this morning. The wet leaves had a nice spiciness to them, but with a touch of sweetness. The sweetness sort...” Read full tasting note
    Dinahsaur 88 tasting notes

From unkown

My brother sent this tea to me from where he lives in Wuhan. His description of Da Hong Pao is as follows:

An oolong from Fujian across the strait from Taiwan – Spicy red flavor

About unkown View company

The wet leaves had a nice spiciness to them, but with a touch of sweetness. The sweetness sort of had that characteristic of something that wasn’t initially sweet being broken down to create the sweetness (like how when you eat a saltine cracker and chew it a while, your saliva breaks it down into sugars and it becomes sweet in your mouth.) I’m not sure how else to describe it, unfortunately.

The first infusion had a very light scent, but the aroma I could pick up was clearly spicy and peppery. The flavor of the tea was nice and strong with a somewhat peppery flavor on the outside.

The second infusion elicited a more directly spicy aroma, but the tea itself was much milder compared to the first infusion. It was lovely and roasty, like a roast pumpkin that was lightly spiced.

Totally a fan of this tea!