Extra Bergamot English Earl Grey (TE11S)

Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

2 Images

• “I woke up five minutes before class, oops! Grabbed some of this on the way out to have later. This was my favorite of the Earl Greys from my first go around, so I thought it would be nice to have...” Read full tasting note
    chibibigos 382 tasting notes
  • “*The Final Sipdown: Day 4* Decupboarding Total: 5 For me, the worst thing about this tea is the end note. There's something sour/bitter/tacky/acrid/just off about the taste at the end of the sip....” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Second tea of the morning... (SRP #25) Man, I am dragging to day. I was hoping that my fist pot of Keemun would wake me up, but no go. In fact, this one is not helping, either. As far as...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “Hm. Not a highly rated tea, but I did not find this as offensive as some others did. I actually quite enjoyed it with a heavy dose of milk. :) I had brewed it strong to have a nice milky tea with...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 517 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

Description:
Specially blended for those who prefer a richly scented Earl Grey. Our most popular Earl Grey. Rated “best overall” by the Wall Street Journal’s Catalog Critic.

Ingredients:
black tea, artificial flavor

Origin:
Germany

Steeping Suggestions: –
Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 212° (boiling)
Steep Time: 4 min.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

Very strong bergamot flavor, to the point where the tea flavors were a bit hard to find. Overpowering if drank on its own, but with a tiny bit of sugar (a teaspoon or less) and a tiny splash of milk, it’s a lot easier to taste the full flavors of the tea, at which point it becomes delicious.

I’d accidentally let the water cool off a bit after boiling it, so there’s a chance that the flavors from the tea were not fully extracted (whereas the bergamot flavor, simply being an oil in this blend, was probably extracted to the same degree as it would’ve been).

The tea leaves my tongue tingling a bit for a while with a not exactly pleasant, somewhat soapy, aftertaste.

Definitely a bit much in the bergamot department, though, and I’ll probably stick with a more mellow Earl Grey in the future.

I’ve had about a zillion earl greys, and this is one of the better ones I’ve had…kind of surprised at some of the other reviews. I do like bergamot to be pretty strong in the mix though, and I wasn’t looking for complexity when I ordered this. Anyhow, great taste and smell, very relaxing (even with caffeine in it no doubt), and no harshness detected.

when you open the bag up it smells of frootloops… after the first whiff though it begins to have a very floral smell, like sweet flowers

the taste is pretty uniform with the smell and it has the frootloopish taste and kind of gets more floral the more you drink(although more subtle than the smell)

overall it was decent, not really my thing though. i seem to prefer more bland/darker flavors. but if you love frootloops go for it ! :D

Update: I bumped up the score because it actually turns out quite good if you mix a little (1:4 to 1:3 depending on preference) into a strong assam.

Old review:
I’ve had good artificial flavors, and this is not one of them. Very overpowering and one-note, like cheap perfume. Stands out even when mixed with other leaves. It can be saved with milk, but only to the point of being “alright”.