TA40: Tippy Orthodox GFOP Assam

Assam Black Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

From Upton Tea Imports

A whole-leaf Assam with golden tips (young leaf buds). Characteristic maltiness and complex flavor. This is our most popular Assam.

Origin: India

About Upton Tea Imports View company

SIPDOWN! i recall nothing about this tea, except that i’m not not in love with it. at least i had the chance to try it and with upton’s samples it was cheap and there was lots to it!

Tea of the morning…… (SRP #10)

This is pretty much just a basic longer leaf Assam. There are definitely some golden tips, and it brews up very smooth with really no astringency or bitterness. It makes a good strong cuppa, which is greatly appreciated in the morning. (It is the second morning of waking up early to get to school after being on our own schedule last week for Spring Break…the bus comes at 6:30am….. Needless to say, my drama club teen was in rare form this morning!) The tea is dark and malty, strong and fortifying. Perfect for a morning like this one. A pulling up by the boot straps kind of tea.

Usual mug method for 3 minutes.

So it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve received my order from Upton. I’ve ordered four kinds of teas, and so far I’m happy with all of them. Also, the service from Upton was top notch, since I received the teas in the mail in just 5 business days. This was very unusual for something shipped via USPS First Class International so I was very surprised.
Now, about this tea. It’s certainly got its characteristic body to it, but I found it to be lighter than the East Frisian Blend. Also, the malty flavor was somewhat subtle, compared to another Assam I’ve tried in the past. This tea would be great for drinking anytime of the day, but I would definitely lean towards the stronger East Frisian in the morning.

1 tsp for 8 oz

Been drinking this for my first morning tea with soy milk and sugar. Very decent tea for that purpose. Wouldn’t drink it straight, though.

Straight up breakfast assam for when you’re bleary eyed and still dusting the cobwebs out of your brain. Takes to milk and sugar well.

Tippy Orthodox Assam

Leaves: mild smell- mild black tea smell(of the brkfst teas) but sweeter…better smelling(imo)- the leaves are about average size

Liquor: this has a lighter liquor than the breakfast teas, comes off close to an irish breakfast but smoother i guess you could say, also has a full mouthfeel

overall i really like this tea

Only had a few cups before passing off the rest of my batch to my father who is a black tea fan. No complaints, very malty with a round flavor. Enjoyed it but not really my go-to cup. Getting a couple more black teas in the mail soon from Upton, going to review soon.

another sample. had this with cream and half & half. maybe would be good for homemade chai? think I like this a little better than the mincing lane blend.

I have pretty much stuck to single estate assams, figuring I’m too much of a tea snob to enjoy a “best seller.” But I finally tried it – and now I actually realize that while I am a tea snob, there’s a reason this is a best seller. It’s really good. As some of the other reviewers have noted, there’s not much exciting here – but it is a really nice tea for every day drinking. Full taste, just rich enough with a good aftertaste, and perfect for the morning. I’ll be re-ordering this tea.