Bond Street English Breakfast Blend (TB10)

Malt, Mineral, Tannin, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by zeitfliesst
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Upton Tea Imports

Description:
A hearty blend of Ceylon and Assam teas, developed by a famous London company. Rich and flavorful even with extra milk.
Origin:
England

About Upton Tea Imports View company

/Accept Quest: Unimaginably Stinky Travel Mug

/Receive: (item)unimaginably_stinky_mug

/Travel: Campus Grocery Store

/Defeat Cash Register Mob (weak against: cash, credit cards, checks)

/Loot: (item)bleach, (item)banking_soda, (item)vinegar.

/Use (item)bleach On (item)unimaginably_stinky_mug For (time)8_hours

/Receive: (item)slightly_less_stinky_mug

/Use (item)baking_soda On (item)slightly_less_stinky_mug For (time)overnight

/Receive: (item)non_stinky_mug

/Complete Quest: Unimaginably Stinky Travel Mug

/Receive Quest Reward: 10 XP, (item)non_stinky_mug_full_of_delicious_breakfast_blend

/Rejoice!

(This was the last of my Bond Street blend, which means I am out of breakfast tea! Noooooooooooooes! My main feelings upon drinking it were: “this is nice, I miss Scottish Breakfast, though.” So…guess I’ll order more of that!)

__Morgana__

Wow, you only got 10 XP for all of that? Was that quest grey to you? ;-)

Cinoi

Wow, that was an incredible amount of effort to write a great review, kudos, but what of the vinegar?

Ewa

Well, see it turns out that the bleach and baking_soda actually have a 25% failure rate, so the vinegar’s just in case you’re super unlucky.

Ewa

and yeah, it’s a low-level quest. I just did it because I like the quest reward so much.

Rabs

::bows before your superior geekiness::

LOVED this note!!!!!

Cinoi

ahh, very good, congrats on the 10 XP and getting a the stink-mug clean!!

Ewa

:D baking soda is seriously magic.

CRAP! I thought I already reviewed this one! SOrry! I just had two cups but will try and again soon for official tasting notes!

Tiny tiny little CTC leaves. Once steeped, they don’t look like fun GrapeNut tea bits. Instead, it just looks mushy. So unfun CTC + Upton? Yeah, I anticipated lots of not greatness. So I used a generous teaspoon of sugar and a good sized dash of half & half in my 12 oz…. and it was good. Like, really good. The tea wasn’t covered up by the milky or the sweet, instead it was a great breakfast tea with just a bit of astringency hanging out at the end of the sip (but not so much as to make it feel bitter – though that could be the glop of half & half I put in).

Now, I can’t say how this is without additives (yet) and honestly, I’m a little nervous for it, but with? This blend makes for a nice stout and uncomplicated breakfast tea.

This is the first in the Upton British Blend sampler, and I was having a feeling of deja vu when I read what’s in it. River Shannon Breakfast Blend, also an Upton tea, though not part of the British Blend sampler, is also a mix of Ceylon and Assam. I was wondering how they’d be different. Proportions? Estates? Both? Neither?

When I looked at the Bond Street, I discovered one difference. It must be CTC, as the leaves look like coffee grounds. Or very tiny pebbles. River Shannon is Orthodox, so one part of the mystery solved. I can smell the Assam in the Bond Street’s dry leaves, but it doesn’t have that bakey smell I don’t like, fortunately.

It’s has a fairly dark orange-brown liquor with some red in there as well. It smells and tastes like a brisk black breakfast blend tea. Like a pretty standard brisk black breakfast blend tea, though with more depth of flavor and a fuller body than a restaurant grade tea, and certainly better than any teabag black tea I’ve tried.

I must remember to do a side by side tasting of this with River Shannon and see how they compare.

A bracing malty cuppa!
Another tea sample I purchased from Upton awhile ago.
Just getting around to trying it.
You can certainly smell the assam.
I made as recommended by Upton.
212 @ 3 minutes.
I did not think 3 minutes would be enough, but it is plenty strong.
It would hold up to milk or cream well.
A great breakfast tea to have on hand.

I’m finishing up my sample of this today. This is a pretty standard breakfast tea, but I prefer a bolder and maltier breakfast tea. That being said, I am enjoying this tea with a healthy dose of milk and sugar while getting ready for our Super Bowl party.

This is exactly what a breakfast blend should taste like. It’s malty and a bit chocolatey.

I can understand how folks might put milk in this, however, not I. A bit of honey is the perfect addition.

It’s a beautiful dark amber color with just the right amount of astringency. This could turn into a morning favorite easily.

I must also say, the 2nd steeping is as good as the first.

A bit of a warning: this tea is a lot like coffee grounds. Find a good steeping basket with very fine mesh.

English Breakfast Blends are my absolute favorite type of teas.

I got a small tin of this as part of the “English Tea Blend” Sampler set Upton sells.

In the tin: This smells exactly like what an English Breakfast blend should smell like.

Brewed: This looks, smells, and tastes exactly like what an English Breakfast blend should look, smell, and taste like. Dark brown, with a “tea” smell, and slight hint of tannin.

I was distracted by my cats clamoring for attention, so I think I may have oversteeped this, but it was still really good. I’ll definitely keep track of time better on the next brew.

I added sugar and milk, since this is an EBB. An excellent rival for my beloved PG Tips as a first cuppa.

This one definitely requires milk. I was surprised at the tea leaves in that they were kind of chopped up. I know..I am a breakfast tea noob, because it looked exactly as most breakfast teas look in pictures. I guess I am a full leaf gal, who prefers tea (that is not bakery-type dessert flavor) without milk. This one reminds me of coffee.

I think I am going to go with Mincing Lane for now….at least until something better comes along.

I’m feeling under the weather, so I went with the Bond Street. I prefer Irish breakfast – this is too mild for me, but it is comforting! Any longer than 3 minutes and this tea gets bitter. Drinkable without milk, unlike many breakfast teas, but I still find it rather meh.