Bond Street English Breakfast Blend (TB10)

Malt, Mineral, Tannin, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by zeitfliesst
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Upton Tea Imports

Description:
A hearty blend of Ceylon and Assam teas, developed by a famous London company. Rich and flavorful even with extra milk.
Origin:
England

About Upton Tea Imports View company

My order of samples from Upton came this morning just in time for breakfast. I ordered mostly white teas but also two Lapsang Souchongs, the much acclaimed Baker Street Afternoon Blend and some breakfast blends for comparison, because for a dollar each why not?

Now I am not really not a breakfast tea person, I don’t drink much black tea in general due to caffeine sensitivity but if I do it is one type of whole leaf tea. So my only point of comparison before this tasting is Teavana’s English Breakfast, their now retired Assam Gold Rain and Celyon from a gift set.

So I brewed this in cast-iron with filtered water at the recommended 212 for 3 mins. The smell was not as strong as I expected and the taste certainly not as malty. This tasted like a nice clean non-China black like you would use for ice tea and I will probably end of let my husband use the rest for that purpose.

I didn’t get much Assam from this (but remember I don’t have a whole lot of experience with Assam) but the high notes I would assume are from the Ceylon, they were very “bright” though probably grounded and mellowed a bit by the Assam. I wouldn’t call this a complex tea but it wasn’t a singular note either.

I decided to try it with some cream and sugar (I’ve honestly never had tea with cream and sugar with the exception of random mate lattes our barista makes at work- Teavana that I only have a sip of) but figured this was part of the experience and would be part of the evaluation. I can see why folks take Assam and blends this way, it was pleasant though I think would have been better with rock sugar (but I was adding it to the cup not the pot). The other teas I sampled (Irish, Scottish and River Shannon) actually took better to the cream, so I think I shall give this to the husband to do what he will.

Its definitely not a bad tea, its neither bitter nor bland, its just not what I look for in hot tea, like the hint of butteryness I got from the River Shannon blend. I am really looking forward to the Baker Street blend tonight though with the husband while we watch Sherlock (new BBC).

Edit to add: made this tea for my husband this morning, his reaction as expected- “it tastes like regular tea” which is not to say he didn’t like it, Teavana does not carry a good “regular tea” for him to make iced, though he loves his now retired Nine Dragon Golden Needle, we have over 2lbs stocked up. He also really like the Baker Street Afternoon blend which I need to revisit and review but first impression is it was quite good bit it didn’t wow me.

I steeped this for a good 3 minutes, but it may have not been enough. The taste is very subtle and cries for milk or sugar. Its definitely a neutral tea if you don’t have strong tea preferences, and would go well with desserts to balance out the sweetness.

This tea tastes like a nicer version of the english breakfasts I drank before getting into loose leaf tea (twinings and the like, bagged). It’s good, but gets pucker-your-mouth tart if you oversteep. I’ve had it plain, with sugar, and with milk and sugar, and it is most palatable with milk (sugar optional). I prefer a milder tea than this, but, I’m having a drowsy day when I need to be having a productive day, so I chose it from among my other curl-up-with-a-book choices.

This tea has replaced coffee as my breakfast drink of choice. I don’t care if it is a CTC. Bring on the milk, and lots of it: this brew is strong enough to handle it! And as with cooked puerh, BSEBB does not seem to get bitter with oversteeping. I can leave it in my tea press all morning, and the first cup is no less bracing than the third, taken an hour later.

Wow, this stuff is like coffee! Strong enough to etch metal! Quite a bit of astringency, and some hints of unsweetened dark chocolate. If this is Assam’s famous maltiness it slaps you upside the head on the way down your throat.

With 2 tsp rock sugar, no milk. Needs about 1/2 a tsp more sugar, I think.

Is there crack in this blend or what? I’ve recently (over the past 6-8 months) gone through several sampler sets from Upton (all black teas) and so tasted more than 20 different varieties. The Bond Street English Breakfast is far-and-away my favorite…like by light years. I don’t understand why, either. When I ran out, I tried to blend Ceylon and Assam several different ways with several different types of each and never came close.

Also I should mention that I only just started learning about tea this year. I couldn’t tell an Earl Grey from a FTGFOP Darjeeling when I started;).

Cheers!

Ken

Very astringent, but not bitter. Definitely a tea for milk. Nice beginning to the day but not destined to be a favorite.

From The Traveling Tea Box

A very nice Breakfast Blend. I wouldn’t mind it if it was a bit more malty but its still very nice and soon to be come a staple.

Not my usual morning tea, just wanted something more robust and brisk to go with my oatmeal. Light aroma, but good flavor and pleasant color. Enough kick to get me going this Monday morning…

Flavors: Malt, Mineral, Tannin, Wood

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

A little pricey, but very tasty, with milk and sugar, and I’m a straight black tea kind of person, but I finished 4.4 oz very quickly and used milk and sugar like never before. I wish tetley taste like this!