Bond Street English Breakfast Blend (TB10)

Malt, Mineral, Tannin, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by zeitfliesst
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Upton Tea Imports

Description:
A hearty blend of Ceylon and Assam teas, developed by a famous London company. Rich and flavorful even with extra milk.
Origin:
England

About Upton Tea Imports View company

I steeped this for a good 3 minutes, but it may have not been enough. The taste is very subtle and cries for milk or sugar. Its definitely a neutral tea if you don’t have strong tea preferences, and would go well with desserts to balance out the sweetness.

This tea tastes like a nicer version of the english breakfasts I drank before getting into loose leaf tea (twinings and the like, bagged). It’s good, but gets pucker-your-mouth tart if you oversteep. I’ve had it plain, with sugar, and with milk and sugar, and it is most palatable with milk (sugar optional). I prefer a milder tea than this, but, I’m having a drowsy day when I need to be having a productive day, so I chose it from among my other curl-up-with-a-book choices.

This tea has replaced coffee as my breakfast drink of choice. I don’t care if it is a CTC. Bring on the milk, and lots of it: this brew is strong enough to handle it! And as with cooked puerh, BSEBB does not seem to get bitter with oversteeping. I can leave it in my tea press all morning, and the first cup is no less bracing than the third, taken an hour later.

Wow, this stuff is like coffee! Strong enough to etch metal! Quite a bit of astringency, and some hints of unsweetened dark chocolate. If this is Assam’s famous maltiness it slaps you upside the head on the way down your throat.

With 2 tsp rock sugar, no milk. Needs about 1/2 a tsp more sugar, I think.

Is there crack in this blend or what? I’ve recently (over the past 6-8 months) gone through several sampler sets from Upton (all black teas) and so tasted more than 20 different varieties. The Bond Street English Breakfast is far-and-away my favorite…like by light years. I don’t understand why, either. When I ran out, I tried to blend Ceylon and Assam several different ways with several different types of each and never came close.

Also I should mention that I only just started learning about tea this year. I couldn’t tell an Earl Grey from a FTGFOP Darjeeling when I started;).

Cheers!

Ken

Very astringent, but not bitter. Definitely a tea for milk. Nice beginning to the day but not destined to be a favorite.

From The Traveling Tea Box

A very nice Breakfast Blend. I wouldn’t mind it if it was a bit more malty but its still very nice and soon to be come a staple.

Not my usual morning tea, just wanted something more robust and brisk to go with my oatmeal. Light aroma, but good flavor and pleasant color. Enough kick to get me going this Monday morning…

Flavors: Malt, Mineral, Tannin, Wood

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

A little pricey, but very tasty, with milk and sugar, and I’m a straight black tea kind of person, but I finished 4.4 oz very quickly and used milk and sugar like never before. I wish tetley taste like this!

i have been a little hesitant to review black teas, as they are (imo) harder to compare to other tastes/experiences …but ill do my best

the leaf is cut/rolled into tiny pellets(very tiny) and has an almost absent smell… i kinda like the mildness of the scent

when steeped the water turns dark very very quickly(in my experience) possibly due to the larger side surface area of the leaves(being in tiny pieces?) i tend to cut the steep dramatically short of the prescribed 3-5 for blacks

it also provides what i consider a large amount of brews/cups(compared to other blacks)

the mouthfeel tends to be really thin… i dislike this greatly… but it is my understanding that this is usual with englishbranded teas?

the taste i don’t much care for as i prefer irish/assam type blacks more.. but the taste lines up with what i’d expect from an english breakfast

overall im impressed with the tea but alas it is just not for me