Superfine Hao-Ya "A" Keemun

Edit tea info Last updated by sygyzy

• “I'm a big fan of Keemun teas, so bought a sample of this as a special treat. And a fine treat it was. The aroma is good: not overly powerful but with a strong chocolate nature. Magnificent...” Read full tasting note
    Dr Jim 148 tasting notes
  • “The highest grade of Keemun black tea from China, this does not come cheap. I don't remember the exact price but I have the label marked with an asterisk which means it was pricey. Dry leaves are...” Read full tasting note
    sygyzy 35 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

Officially the top grade of China Keemun, this grade has always been produced in limited supply. A top new lot for the Keemun connoisseur.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

I’m a big fan of Keemun teas, so bought a sample of this as a special treat. And a fine treat it was.

The aroma is good: not overly powerful but with a strong chocolate nature. Magnificent finish: long, complex, and powerful. The taste is good and well-balanced, but not quite as good as the finish, which just goes on forever. Not a hint of bitterness anywhere. Excellent tea. Not as smoky as some Keemuns, but the smoke is definitely there.

I tried a 2nd steep(3m): Taste and nose are slightly weaker than the first steep, but the quality of the flavors was almost as good as the first steep. The finish was a lot weaker than the first time around. Still, if I had only had the second steep, I would have said it was an above-average tea.

I drank this in a series of cups with some other Keemuns. When I tried my previous favorite (Upton’s ZK25 Keemun Dao Ming) it tasted a bit coarse compared to this tea, which was really elegant.

Although this is a bit pricy, I think I need to buy a larger quantity, since it is definitely the best keemun I’ve ever had, as well of one of my favorite teas ever. I’ll use the fact that it re-steeped fairly well to help justify the price.

The highest grade of Keemun black tea from China, this does not come cheap. I don’t remember the exact price but I have the label marked with an asterisk which means it was pricey. Dry leaves are brittle and black and look like tiny short sticks. They are not gunpowder fine but not very large either. Brews up nice and dark and reminds me of Lapsang Souchon and while it’s not smoked, it has a very strong smokiness to it. Tanins are present as well as very noticeable acidity, almost like you squeezed a few drops of lemon into your morning tea. Viscosity is on the medium range, and it coats your tongue nicely. If you rub your tongue against the insides of your mouth, you’ll taste the residual tanins/tea which linger for quite a while after you’ve swallowed.