China Pu-Erh Tuo Cha, Size 1 (ZH30)

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Smoke
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “The liquor sure is dense and black, it looks like coffee. The smell and taste is very earthy. It is very mellow and soothing to sip. It leaves a very clean aftertaste. The directions said to steep...” Read full tasting note
    Maniac49 429 tasting notes
  • “Okay, I tried pu-erh at the beginning of my tea drinking...but I didn't know what to do with it so I just steeped it in boiling water for about 5 minutes. It was HORRIBLE! Then I learned more about...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes
  • “i actually brought a pu-erh cake and my small glass gung fu to work today. it won't be the classiest steep of all time, but i realized i was never gonna drink my unflavored or traditional teas...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 737 tasting notes
  • “After over two weeks absense, I'm back for a review. My niece was here for two weeks visiting, so my tea time was limited, but it was nice spending time with her! I haven't been drinking really top...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

Small tuo chas (compressed cakes) of black pu-erh tea, with a weight of approximately 3 grams each – an ideal size for one or two cups.

The liquor is dense and black. Multiple infusions are often made from this tea.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

The liquor sure is dense and black, it looks like coffee. The smell and taste is very earthy. It is very mellow and soothing to sip. It leaves a very clean aftertaste. The directions said to steep for 6-7 minutes but I never follow directions. I actually steeped for 30 seconds and discarded the liquid and then steeped for 4 minutes. I am really enjoying this tea, its making me want to try other pu-erh which is a good thing. I’m not sure how many times I can steep this but I’m going to find out. Excellent tea.
3g/8oz

Dan

Second steep is going great. There is plenty of earthy taste and aroma still left in this tea. Tea is still dense and black.

Dan

Third steep is just as earthy and tasty as the second. Time to stop now. three is enough.

Lori

Adding this to my list…

LadyLondonderry

Dan, I have to thank you for saving me time and money — you’ve been trying so many kinds of tea that are on my to-sample list (Himalayan, Java, Pu-Erh, etc.)! You’re giving me a good sense of which ones might capture my fancy and which I can safely pass by.

Okay, I tried pu-erh at the beginning of my tea drinking…but I didn’t know what to do with it so I just steeped it in boiling water for about 5 minutes. It was HORRIBLE! Then I learned more about pu-erh which made me think “No wonder I hated it!” I have been getting up the nerve to try it again for about a year and a half. When I placed my order from Upton, I must have been feeling adventurous because I added a sample bag of this pu-erh.

This time I did a 30 second rinse which completely broke up the little bird’s nest. I then did a 30 second steep…..the taste isn’t all bad. It was a bit earthier than I expected so I added a pinch of sugar and a tiny splash of cream and wow! I’m surprised that it actually tastes pretty good. I think I’ll try to drink this for the rest of the day!

My rating will be based on the overall feelings of this tea so I will rate it later today. I will probably do a bunch of infusion notes today, so stay tuned!

SimplyJenW

I have a sample of this, too. My first pu-erh experience was a bust ike yours, but I am sure I oversteeped. I will have to try the rinse + mini-steep next time.

i actually brought a pu-erh cake and my small glass gung fu to work today.

it won’t be the classiest steep of all time, but i realized i was never gonna drink my unflavored or traditional teas if i didn’t start putting a little extra effort forth and make some compromises. and i’m pretty excited about this.

i did one 30 second rinse. then one 30 secondish steep. i realized a little too late i should have done both shorter. but this is learning! and it’s still a good tea experience i get to have.

the cake loosened and dissolved into little tea flakes immediately. after the rinse, the fishy pu-erh scent was immediately present, but not strong!! it really wasn’t.
again, i’m not very pu-erh knowledgeable yet, but i can immediately tell that this is much better than the crappy davidstea pu-erhs i’ve tried. (don’t get me wrong, i like davidsteas a lot! and they have a ton of great teas but really they do not do pu-erhs well at all.)
i steeped the next cup at 20 seconds, and then the next one at 30 seconds, etc. and my pu-erh innocence tells me that this is a very very good tea. my other great experience with pu-erh is a blood orange pu-erh from Carytown Teas that i tried once and then couldn’t get it out of my head. (so of course i own 2oz of it now.)
this is a rambley review i realize.
i think i have gained perspective on how a good pu-erh should taste. i’m excited.

After over two weeks absense, I’m back for a review. My niece was here for two weeks visiting, so my tea time was limited, but it was nice spending time with her! I haven’t been drinking really top shelf loose leaf tea lately, because the tap water sucks chunks this time of year & I can’t find my filters. So I’m entering my time machine, reviewing this tea ordered late October 2002!

I think my first Tuo Cha was ordered from Specialteas, but they were very similar. I love the bowl like shape of each Tuo Cha and did use multiple steeps (as many as seven). The first three steeps were always the best, and I always increased water temp, and steep time with each cup.

What I remember was a very dark, silky cup color, with an earthy aroma. I was surprised to notice a purple hue around the edges of the liqour. The wet leaf had more earthy aromas than in the cup. Every cup I tasted was silky smooth, with a natural sweetness, and definite earthy notes, reminding me of Autumn. Once I left a Teabowl in my cup for about eight minutes, and still got a decent second cup. At eight minutes the liqour was darker, with more sweetness and earthiness, and so silky smooth! This tea was NEVER bitter, yet full of flavor. I really like this tea, but have not reordered it. I’ll have to reorder it, so I can refine the review and reacquaint myself with an old friend.

Reviewed: Thu, 09-01-2011.

I’ve had this little sample lying around for some time, briefly forgotten about. It came to me from Shmiracles

I did a bit of a longer rinse on it because I was expecting the leaves to need a few extra seconds to break up, but they didn’t. It broke up really quickly and the leaves are itty bitty.

The taste of this pu-erh is like sour dirt rather than the sweet earthiness that I am used to. I’ve head that mini cakes aren’t the best quality pu-erh, but the mini cakes I got from Butiki were a lot better than these IMO.

These cute but eminently stinky Tuo Cha from Upton Tea Imports were my very first purchase ever of this type of tea. That was more than a decade ago. Seriously. They sat in a drawer alone, neglected and scorned for all this time, never to be infused until today. They aren’t nearly as stinky as I recall, but I figured, how can pu-ehr go bad, really? Perhaps they have improved with age!

The strong scent of the initial sample (which contained 6 tuo cha, now 5) left such a lasting impression on me that I completely avoided this entire category of tea. Why would I want to drink such a thing? I asked myself most logically.

After seeing the throngs of pu-erh devotees out there in the world wide web, some of whom spend time here at Steepster, I realized, at last, that first impressions might deceive. Perhaps it’s really true:

Don’t judge a book by its cover or a tuo cha by its stench!

I tossed the first short infusion and proceeded to brew this tea using near-boiling water, which swiftly produced a dark brownish amber liquor with not a trace of its former stinkiness lingering in the air. To be honest, and a bit surprisingly (or not!) the flavor strikes me as a cross between a Yunnan black and a Lapsang Souchong tea. Does anyone else find similarities between pu-erh and Lapsang? Or is it just this particular batch?

Anyway, it’s good, and now I’m off to the races for many new adventures in the vast land of pu-erh! I needed to clear this hurdle before I could try any other pure pu-erhs. Mission accomplished, and happily, too!

Flavors: Smoke

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
boychik

Was it sheng ?

sherapop

Sheng is ripe? Or is that raw? Do I even know the difference? I simply assumed that anything in cake form would be ripe! ;-)

boychik

Sorry I didn’t read a description. It’s shou/ ripe. Boiling for sure. Still I like gongfu super short steeps.

Tried a 30 second steep after a 30 second rinse because of all the comments about it being strong. Seemed pretty mild to me. Wil try a longer steep for the next cup.

First cup I had put a little milk and honey into. For the second and third cups, I drank it plain after steeping for 45 seconds. The color is still dark, but I have to dash off to work. Taking the other cake with me to sip all day.

The flavor is very mild to me. Slight earthy tones that are pleasant. No bitterness or acidity, so no need for me to have doctored it in the first place.

Thank you to Shmiracles for the two cakes I get to sample!

Wow, the liquor is very dark. It’s VERY earthy, almost taste lightly bitter but not so. It’s on the verge. Perhaps I put too much tea in this pot (3 discs for 4 cups of tea). I did also brew it for the max recommended, which is 7 minutes.

If you like a strong Pu-Ehr, you’ll most likely enjoy this.