Rooibos Earl Grey (BA19)

Herbal Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by ifjuly
Boiling 8 min or more

• “Not bad for a rooibos earl. Strong on the bergamot. Very fresh and lemony. I really want to smell a real bergamot one day so I have a better feel for what realistic bergamot is like. Anyway,...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 484 tasting notes
  • “Holy floral bergamot, Batman! This is one strongly flavored tea. I can't remember why I grabbed this initially - I think perhaps it was to assuage a guy I once knew that loves Earl Grey, and...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 949 tasting notes
  • “1 or 2/5...maybe 1.5/5. I didn't puke or retch or anything, but there's no way I'd voluntarily drink this again. Harsh on the bergamot, and in an off-putting Pine-Sol industrial citrus (more...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 609 tasting notes
  • “A good Earl Grey; even though it's a rooibos, it holds up well with milk and sugar. I let mine steep about 10-15 minutes, and it was still well-rounded. Not the strongest bergamot aroma or flavor...” Read full tasting note
    michelleszetela 98 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

Description: A superior grade of Rooibos, scented with oil of bergamot. An excellent caffeine free alternative for Earl Grey aficionados.

Ingredients: rooibos, artificial flavor

Origin: Germany

Steeping Suggestions:
Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 212° (boiling)
Steep Time: 8 min.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

Not bad for a rooibos earl. Strong on the bergamot. Very fresh and lemony. I really want to smell a real bergamot one day so I have a better feel for what realistic bergamot is like. Anyway, rooibos behaves in here. Good hot cup before bed. :)

Holy floral bergamot, Batman! This is one strongly flavored tea.

I can’t remember why I grabbed this initially – I think perhaps it was to assuage a guy I once knew that loves Earl Grey, and wanted more decaf options, so I grabbed him this sample. Regardless, he’s out of the picture and this tea is what fell on me tonight, and so… I’m drinking it.

It smells VERY strongly of bergamot in the bag, and even more so as it steeps. This is very definitely a strong tea. Plus, an EIGHT minute steep? Okay, if you say so.. and it’s strong. Faintly floral, very bergamot, and a hint of rooibos.

I think if I was gaga for strong Earl Greys and wanted a nighttime fix, I’d drink this. Is it for me? Not really.

Boiling 8 min or more

1 or 2/5…maybe 1.5/5. I didn’t puke or retch or anything, but there’s no way I’d voluntarily drink this again.

Harsh on the bergamot, and in an off-putting Pine-Sol industrial citrus (more chemical lemon than bergamot) bathroom cleaner way, ugh. Maybe steeping for less time will help—it calls for 8 minutes!—but I dunno, it didn’t seem like it was a leaf thing so much as a bad chemical flavoring thing. Now I appreciate American Tea Room’s version much more.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more
JustJames

oooooo. i am not a fan of bergamot and i don’t do rooiboos….. pine-sol? ack!!!

CelebriTEA

NMSAA….I did wretch :-(

ifjuly

sorry to hear! at least i’m not alone in disliking this one though…as decaf earls go, two i haven’t hated and would drink again if i was desperate for that flavor but couldn’t have the caffeine late at night would be american tea room’s and utopia’s cream one. hope you have a better cuppa in front of you now, CelebriTEA!

A good Earl Grey; even though it’s a rooibos, it holds up well with milk and sugar. I let mine steep about 10-15 minutes, and it was still well-rounded. Not the strongest bergamot aroma or flavor I’ve ever come across, but quite good.