Imperial Golden Monkey (ZP85)

Chinese Black Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

From Upton Tea Imports

Description:
This selection from Fujian province has a well balanced, smooth cup that is rich and complex in flavor and aroma. Notes of spice, honey, and apple skins linger in the finish. The bold, dark leaves have an attractive appearance, and contain a generous complement of golden tips.
Origin:
China

Steeping Suggestions: –
Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 212° (boiling)
Steep Time: 4-5 min.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

So the taste of this one surprised me a little bit. I have the teavana golden monkey that I adore and this one is a bit different. I won’t compare except to note that the Upton golden monkey’s leaves are much smaller but with a similar golden tipped look. When I smell this one, I get caramel and sweetness and as I drink it I find there is an explosion of dried fruit with hints of pear and fig on the palate, though less fruity than I’d imagined. Next there is a bit of tannic astringency rounded in the front of the tongue and on the roof of the mouth, but offset with an interesting earthiness. I really am fond of the taste of this complex cup and I find there might be a taste I’m missing, but in general I am intrigued with the different mouth feel of this one.

Delicious with or with out milk. Chocolate-y undertones. One of my all time favorites. I have this for breakfast usually and its strong and not bitter which rules! I use slightly less than boiling since I like to re-steep. You can’t go wrong with Upton’s teas.