China Oolong Eastern Beauty

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by poikkeus

From Upton Tea Imports

This well-crafted and attractive “Eastern Beauty” Oolong is appropriately named. Some appreciate the buttery and winey aspects of the tea while others have remarked on the complex layers of flavor and interesting walnut note.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

I’m drinking this one with my lunch. Rich buttery notes lead into a nutty flavor. I really like how smooth this is. Goes perfectly with my granola bar. I know not that complex of a lunch but I wasn’t really hungry and it was time to get some thing into the bod.

Eastern Beauty uses leaves picked in summer, when insect damage may consume a certain part of the tea crop. But this has unanticipated effects: the flavor becomes more subtle, and the leaves naturally oxidize prior to being processed into tea. The leaves themselves have jigsaw shapes, but the eventual tea is light copper in hue.

Subtlety is the keynote here. Don’t look for rich, overly tannic tea. What’s left of the insect-nibbled tea leaves is smooth and very easy to drink; this tea is delicately sweet. Eastern Beauty is best complemented by biscuits or some other light edible to contrast with the tea’s refined character. On the other hand, this tea is a little too subtle to drink just by itself.