Golden Kenya Black Tea GFBOP (TK25)

Astringent, Malt, Sweet, Wood, Apricot, Grapes
Edit tea info Last updated by KiwiDelight

• “This smells like a MEAL. Savory. A smorgasbord of aromas...malty, rice-Y, nutty, sun-dried tomato-esque, lots of interesting contributions. Then when I sipped...it tastes completely different...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Another black tea for me this morning! :D This one came from *KiwiDelight*. I haven't had many broken-leaf teas, so I'm not sure what to expect here aside from strength of flavor. The leaves are...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 543 tasting notes
  • “It's refreshing to have another one of Upton's African teas after months of running out of my last. The dry leaf aroma smells unpredictably - and pleasantly - of apricot. The instructions suggest...” Read full tasting note
    KiwiDelight 140 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

This is a broken-leaf analog to our popular Golden Kenya TGFOP, which is temporarily unavailable. The cup has full flavor and aroma, with medium body. May be enjoyed plain, but it is strong enough to accommodate a touch of milk. Flavor hints of rose and nuances of pepper make this selection especially interesting.
Origin:
Kenya

About Upton Tea Imports View company

This smells like a MEAL. Savory. A smorgasbord of aromas…malty, rice-Y, nutty, sun-dried tomato-esque, lots of interesting contributions.

Then when I sipped…it tastes completely different than it smelled!

First and foremost peppery notes! This is a stronger cuppa! I kind of wish I started my day with this one! It’s a little bitter but in a coffee-type bitter way – nothing I can’t handle. At the end of the sip there is an inkling of something but I can’t quite put my finger on it…MAYBE…a berry of some-sort…perhaps currant…but it’s very VERY subtle.

This is a good one for first thing in the morning or when you need a good kick in the pants!

Another black tea for me this morning! :D This one came from KiwiDelight. I haven’t had many broken-leaf teas, so I’m not sure what to expect here aside from strength of flavor. The leaves are very broken and dark chocolate brown in color. They smell of malt and wood with a slight sweetness. I followed Kiwi’s instructions and did a 1 minute steep.

The brewed aroma is rather sweet and strong with lots of malt and wood. Oops, I accidentally dipped my nose in it… XD The taste is pretty much the same as the aroma. It has a strong woody presence, and the sweetness really marries well with it (sounds weird, but it’s good). There’s some malt in the background, and a slight bit of astringency. Overall, a simple tea but a nice one.

Flavors: Astringent, Malt, Sweet, Wood

It’s refreshing to have another one of Upton’s African teas after months of running out of my last. The dry leaf aroma smells unpredictably – and pleasantly – of apricot. The instructions suggest to allow the leaves to steep for 3 minutes, but I’ve found that I enjoy the cup more when I let them steep for only 1. In case of the former, the liquor is rusty gold, clear, medium-bodied, and astringent. It’s also quite malty, but so much that I felt I had to add milk and/or sugar. Following the latter steeping parameters, the liquor is truly golden. The malt is much, much lighter, even barely there. A bright muscatel flavor is able to emerge, and it lingers lightly on the tongue in the aftertaste.

Flavors: Apricot, Grapes, Malt