TD70: Margaret's Hope Est. FTGFOP1 Musc Second Flush (DJ-191)

Edit tea info Last updated by utatane

• “>a distinctive muscatel character umm... not the grape one, I suppose. But there certainly exists something unique flavor/aroma in your breath. >and delicate sweetness. it's quite obvious. ” Read full tasting note
    uta-ta 18 tasting notes
  • “Have been doing thunderdome rounds between 2 Uptons at a time. Drank this yesterday afternoon when Steepster was down, comparing it to Upton’s Margaret’s Hope 2nd flush White Delight. And I was...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

This offering was produced in June at the height of the 2012 second flush season. The wonderfully refined cup has a light astringency, with a distinctive muscatel character and delicate sweetness. A top selection from a popular estate.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

>a distinctive muscatel character
umm… not the grape one, I suppose. But there certainly exists something unique flavor/aroma in your breath.

>and delicate sweetness.
it’s quite obvious.

Have been doing thunderdome rounds between 2 Uptons at a time. Drank this yesterday afternoon when Steepster was down, comparing it to Upton’s Margaret’s Hope 2nd flush White Delight. And I was doing a darjeeling-a-thon the whole day; I compared two Thurbo 1st flushes and later two Thurbo 2nd flushes and then moved on to the Margaret’s Hopes.

Looks the part of a 2nd flush darjeeling in the cup, that pretty reddish brown. Smells lovely dry, that oh so slight musky perfume thing.

I really like the way this smells both dry and in the cup. Get the feeling I don’t quite love it in the cup as much as the winning 2nd flush Thurbo though. More astringent, which is eh, but also has a gentle lingering sort of…rooty, slightly bitter flavor that is actually quite good, and doesn’t show up at first, it takes a bit. That part’s cool. Earthy, a bit mineral/granite-y, kind of like soil, some rootiness. A nice vegetal flavor eventually shows up too, and as it cools a sweetness comes in at the finish of the swallow that’s nicely balanced with the other stuff.

So. It’s slightly astringent for my tastes, but the other stuff almost kinda makes up for it…complex and subtle, the way darjeelings are wont to be. I would drink it again…it’s not an easygoing drink-while-distracted-or-in-need-of-babying-comfort cup, but an interesting, fun-to-experience-its-nuances thing. The astringency is what keeps it from being something I could pick as my everyday-like-a-favorite-pair-of-jeans,-pick-only-one darjeeling.