Jun Chiyabari Estate HRHT (TM62)

Black Tea Leaves
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable

• “I picked up a sample of this awhile back, as I fell in love with the Jun Chiyabari estate tea from David's. This is a superb black, with robust toasty notes while being reminiscent of a...” Read full tasting note
    hammaryn 148 tasting notes
  • “The leaves on this one are surprisingly lovely for such a mass distributor as Upton, complete with some noticeably long, pretty tips. Dry and brewing this smells surprisingly toasty and grainy--an...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 607 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

A skillfully crafted, hand-rolled selection with a beautiful leaf appearance, complemented by a generous portion of tips. The flavor of the cup is rich and complex, with a floral hint and notes of muscat and red apple skins. The pleasing finish lingers sweetly on the palate.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

I picked up a sample of this awhile back, as I fell in love with the Jun Chiyabari estate tea from David’s. This is a superb black, with robust toasty notes while being reminiscent of a darjeeling. It had just enough slight bite and fruity flavor to it. This actually reminded quite a bit of the Laoshan black, if the laoshan didn’t have as much of a malty base (I still like laoshan black better). Excellent tea.

The leaves on this one are surprisingly lovely for such a mass distributor as Upton, complete with some noticeably long, pretty tips. Dry and brewing this smells surprisingly toasty and grainy—an earlier review mentions a vague resemblance to Laoshan Black of all things, and I can actually definitely see that (which is so surprising!); there isn’t the intense chocolatiness, but there is that barley-ish toasted chew feel. It isn’t like other Nepalese teas I’ve had, less woody and floral and more food-ish (I could be imagining it but I almost smell sweet cooked carrot). Some fruity perfumed astringency and tannin comes in at the end, giving it more resemblance to what I was expecting (darjeeling-ish qualities). Really surprised and impressed with this one!

TeaBrat