ZO78: Tie-Guan-Yin Oolong Second Grade

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Emily M

1 Tasting Note View all

• “AHA!!!! Instead of following Upton's brewing directions, I increased the leaf quantity by 50% (used 1 tablespoon for a 12 oz pot), lowered the temp by 10 degrees, and infused for 30 seconds less...” Read full tasting note
    RachelJ 110 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

Description:
A classic Tie-Guan-Yin, with dark-golden, rolled leaves, producing a flavorful cup with the aroma of sweet raisins complemented with robust earthy tones. The fine flavor lingers on the palate with a toasty, sweet aftertaste.
Origin:
China

Steeping Suggestions: –
Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 190°
Steep Time: 2½-3½ min

About Upton Tea Imports View company

1 Tasting Note

AHA!!!! Instead of following Upton’s brewing directions, I increased the leaf quantity by 50% (used 1 tablespoon for a 12 oz pot), lowered the temp by 10 degrees, and infused for 30 seconds less than the lower part of their range, and LO AND BEHOLD, tea with flavor and little to no astringency! YAY! Now I will feel better about trying some more expensive teas… More hopeful that I can get good results.

The tea itself tasted very nice, but it is closer to a green tea than a black tea. I think I would prefer a darker oolong. I thought this one might be darker because the leaves were more brown than green, but it still tasted more like a green. But it was certainly a pleasant flavor without too much astringency.

El Monstro

Their zo80 tie-guan-yin and golden wuyi are both really good too.

Rachel J