ZK80 Hao-Ya B

Edit tea info Last updated by Doug F

• “This is the second time I’ve tried this tea, with very similar tasting notes. Rich smoky nose, with perhaps a touch of cedar. Compared with the Harney Hao Ya B, this tea is less smoky but...” Read full tasting note
    dr-jim 177 tasting notes
  • “Maybe it’s my unrefined palette, but I’m having a hard time discriminating among the three Upton Keemuns I have recently sampled: Mao Feng, Mao Feng Superior and the Hao-Ya B. This one...” Read full tasting note
    triumph 119 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

China Keemun.
Extra care is taken with each step, from the extra-fine picking through the fermentation. Exquisite in style, color, aroma, and taste. If an unspecified ‘Hao-Ya’ Keemun is sold, it is typically Hao-Ya ‘B’.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

This is the second time I’ve tried this tea, with very similar tasting notes. Rich smoky nose, with perhaps a touch of cedar. Compared with the Harney Hao Ya B, this tea is less smoky but more refined.

In the mouth, the smoke is less obvious than the tea flavors. It is smooth and not overly powerful. The finish kind of sneaks up on you: doesn’t seem like much at first, but grows, and lasts forever. I want to say there is some chocolate in the taste and finish, but if so it is just barely there.

(5 min re-steep): Weak nose. Good taste and finish, but there is a slight hint of bitterness in the finish.

Maybe it’s my unrefined palette, but I’m having a hard time discriminating among the three Upton Keemuns I have recently sampled: Mao Feng, Mao Feng Superior and the Hao-Ya B. This one might have a little more body and a more prominent burgundy flavor but all three are smooth and fairly light with a nice sparkle in the cup.

looseTman

Of all the brands you’ve tasted, what’s your favorite Keemun to date?

Doug F

I go back to a Keemun I tried a couple of years ago from Teagschwender, China Keemun Finest Chuen Cha. It was incredible. I don’t know why I haven’t ordered it again; that will change soon.

looseTman

Since you enjoyed Teagschwender’s China Keemun Finest, you may also want to check out: http://steepster.com/teas/zen-tea/46734-black-tea-keemun-finest during one of Zen Tea’s sales.

Doug F

Thanks for the suggestion!

You’re welcome!

boychik

Joseph Wesley has incredible Keemun and limited edition Qimen. I love Keemun but didn’t try the new Qimen
They are running 20% off till August 1 code 2015

looseTman

Cool – thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks boychik!