Formosa Amber Oolong (TT55)

Oolong Tea
Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Pamela Dean

From Upton Tea Imports

With an oxidation level of approximately 40%, Amber Oolong (Wu-Long) teas produce a liquor that is darker than the Jade Oolongs, with a flavor slightly more earthy and robust.
Steeping Suggestions: -
Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 190º
Steep Time: 3-5 mins.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

I think this is my favorite tea, I enjoy drinking different teas for different moods and reasons ect and this one in particular for me is good for all those moods and such if that makes sense to anybody. It is toasty, slightly nutty, earthy and rich while still being greenish and kinda grassy to me. I want to try the Formosa Amber Oolong Select but I’m not sure, I like this one so much I already have a bag of it but I still order more samples of it with each order for just in case lol. I guess that would be a Tea Crush.
Oolongs are great, may eventually replace Puers as my favorite type of tea.

TeaBrat

Have you tried any wuyi oolongs, like a dong ha pao? I think you might like those as well…

Thomas Edward(Toad)

I dont think I’ve tried any of those but I will be sure to now that you mention them :-) thank you for the suggestion

TeaBrat

I can send you one of you’d like to swap for somethin’ ;-)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

That would be awesome, i think i need to update my cupboard but have a look and see what ya like and if i still got it its yours :)

Tommy The Toad sent me some of this and I am very grateful! Thanks!

This is semi earthy and a little sweet with a gentle roasted nut type flavor, too. It’s like a cross between a greener oolong and a wuyi/rock-ish type oolong taste-wise. I do like the combo/contrast. YUM!

Beautiful, curly greenish brown leaves!

First steep: Woody and nutty. I don’t taste sweetness or bitterness (and I didn’t add anything to this tea) – very even. So enjoyable to sip. I could see this being great with a meal.

Second steep (4min): Sweeter and just as nutty.

Third steep (5 min): Tastes very similar to the 2nd steep!

Fourth steep: (6 min): Just a tad lighter tasting. Incredible! I’ve had enough for this afternoon, but maybe on another day I’ll find myself going for a fifth, sixth, seventh!

I need to take this home with me because I could really see steeping this all day on a day off – how pleasurable!

Cofftea

I was just telling Ricky how much I can’t wait to place my 1st UTI order. I was originally looking at theirs when I was looking at matcha sets.

JacquelineM

I really like their teas and the company. They are fast, no nonsense, and a good value – and they send the orders with cornstarch packing peanuts which you can compost or even put water on and they will dissolve! That thrilled me :) I’m so silly!

Cofftea

Dissolve? Sweet! Is the water safe to pour down the sink drain then? (We have a well)

JacquelineM

It says that they are completely biodegradable so I would think so – you can even dissolve them then pour it out on the grass somewhere if you are afraid. I have a compost bin so I put them in there :) I even put all my used tea in the compost bin. I like knowing that last years tea that I enjoyed so much will help this year’s veggies grow in the spring and summer!

Cofftea

I’d love a compost bin- but mom doesn’t want one.

JacquelineM

My husband didn’t like the idea – he thought it would smell bad! But I talked him into it because our town was offering $10 compost bins if you attended a composting class – so I went and we’ve been composting since Earth Day 2008. No bad smells at all.

fcmonroe

if you have a septic system, don’t flush the cornstarch packing peanuts!! I know someone who discovered that this is a very expensive mistake!

Cofftea

Thanks for the advice, but I’d put them outside or down the sink drain.

fcmonroe

The sink goes to the septic tank as well. These will mess up a septic system.

Cofftea

Gotcha- outside it goes then.

JacquelineM

fcmonroe – I’m glad you knew that! I would have felt terrible forever if I messed up Cofftea’s well with packing peanuts!!!!!!!

Cofftea

Haha JacquelineM, I’m sure my mom would have said something.:)

Heyes

You say that you need to take this home with you, where were you enjoying this?

JacquelineM

At work! I have a little hot pot, small thermometer, and tea-for-one pot on my desk. I have my tins of tea in my desk drawer with some fillable paper tea bags. It’s working out even better than I hoped! (I work at an art school in a really old building – we don’t have a kitchen or anything like that in our office so we do what we can :) Another coworker has a coffeepot and we have a little fridge in the area where we keep the student folders and we make do!).

Sigh. I’m out of this tea now. I seem to be finishing up a lot of samples recently, but I have WAY too much tea, so even with finishing things up I still can’t get any more. Sigh.

Anyway, this tea is still lovely. I got this sample from the lovely JacquelineM a long time ago, and I’ve been savoring it ever since. Dark, nutty, almost a little woody.

Goodbye fair tea, I will miss you.

This is the second in the Introduction to Oolongs sampler and an interesting comparison to the Formosa Fine Grade. The dry leaves are very different in color and texture. Much bigger and formed into curls, whereas the Fine Grade ones are much smaller and less formed. They smell less toasty than the Fine Grade; actually the smell reminds me of champagne. The liquor, too is reminiscent of champagne; a lighter, yellowy-amber than that of the Fine Grade with a more delicate aroma that is warm and slightly fruity. The taste is more delicate, too, and I have a feeling there is a lot more to be discovered here on subsequent tastings. The flavor is pleasant and mild, and as noted by others, nutty. The leaves uncurl during steeping until they are surprisingly long and pretty. I can see myself spending quite a bit of time with this one.

Wonderful toasty, nutty, almost an undertone of brown rice. It has a lot of depth and personality. This is definitely a winner.

Backlog:

This Oolong reminds me of the very first Oolong I ever tasted. Sweet, peach-like, earthy, nutty with a nice roasted note, and buttery. Later infusions allowed for the peach notes to emerge stronger and the flavor was smoother. Less earthy as I continued to steep. Some citrus notes also began to emerge in the later infusions.

Overall, a really pleasant Oolong.

Trying this hot on the heels of the last oolong (China se chung) to see how they compare. (They’re both from the Upton oolong sampler . ) The flavors have a lot in common – they are both darker and seem more oxidized than the oolongs I’ve had before – but this one smells and tastes a bit sweeter. It has a bit of a honey tang, and overall tastes a little more complex than the se chung (wish I knew a better way to describe it). Overall, a robust but non-astringent oolong.

Flavors: Honey

First infusion a bit too astringent for me and second infusion was much better. I am on a quest for a more oxidized oolong (50-70%) with little to no astringency. If you are reading this and know of any, let me know!

On smell I get vegetal notes. Taste is earthy, nutty, and mineral like. Kind of reminds me of their roasted oolong, with less of a coffee note in the background. All in all this is a pretty solid oolong.