Keemun Xiang Luo (ZK50)

Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

• “A tea to be savored, this delicate Keemun does not feature the smokey tobacco flavor of some, but the alluring blend of spice (cinnamon and allspice) and red wine is delicious. This is not an...” Read full tasting note
    triumph 102 tasting notes
  • “This is a more like it. After an unfortunate bout with the Z11 Keemun this morning, I chose this one next. This is kind of the opposite end of the spectrum from the Z11. There is a...” Read full tasting note
    mzpriss 120 tasting notes
  • “Smelled richly of chocolate as I opened the bag, and then just as much after steeping. It was a beautiful cup hot, but as it cools I've lost the chocolate flavor other than the richness of it, and...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1114 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning...... And this is the end of my sample. I really do like this one, but not sure it is worth the cost. It is like my favorite Keemun Mao Feng without the smoke note. Smooth,...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 972 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

A rare offering from An Hui province, home of the famous Hao-Ya teas. This offering has an intensely rich character, with deep chocolate notes in the cup as well as in the leaf aroma. A truly outstanding selection.

Origin: China

Steeping Suggestions: –
Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 212°(boiling)
Steep Time: 3-5 min.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

A tea to be savored, this delicate Keemun does not feature the smokey tobacco flavor of some, but the alluring blend of spice (cinnamon and allspice) and red wine is delicious. This is not an in-your-face tea, but often restraint is the essence of beauty.

This is a more like it. After an unfortunate bout with the Z11 Keemun this morning, I chose this one next. This is kind of the opposite end of the spectrum from the Z11. There is a barely-detectable smoke note, way way back – a nice antidote to the intense smoke/creosote of the Z11. This is far more delicate and well mannered. There is a hint of cocoa, a slight whiff of malt and a little yeasty graininess. I like the little floral, winey waft in the aftertaste. This is nice enough, but not very distinguished.

Smelled richly of chocolate as I opened the bag, and then just as much after steeping. It was a beautiful cup hot, but as it cools I’ve lost the chocolate flavor other than the richness of it, and it’s become a bit astrigent for my liking.

Flavors: Chocolate

Tea of the morning……

And this is the end of my sample. I really do like this one, but not sure it is worth the cost. It is like my favorite Keemun Mao Feng without the smoke note. Smooth, cocoa-noted, and malty. I do still get a little bit of a floral note at the end of the sip. I suppose I would consider buying it if I did not have a stash full of other wonderful teas. Tasty, but not remarkable.

Usual teapot method.

I must be a glutton for punishment but I keep trying keemun samples to find a few that I like. :)

I steeped this for 3 minutes and am finding this is one of the most gentle keemuns I have tried. I definitely get the cocoa/roasted notes but not much tobacco/smoke that you find in some keemuns. There’s a few interesting fruity notes in here that are reminiscent of wine. I’d recommend drinking this straight in order to appreciate the delicate flavor. it is lighter in body than most other keemuns I’ve had. In fact, I might try steeping this a little longer next time.

Not destined to be a personal favorite, but I have enjoyed the cup. This morning I’m thinking about going back to bed after I’ve had my tea and breakfast!

Flowery

Have you tried Mandala’s Black Beauty? They describe it as ‘keemun style’. I’ve never found a keemun I love but can’t get enough Black Beauty, and it gets rave reviews here.

Flowery

Ha, never mind – just saw your review on it. ;)

TeaBrat

yes I do recall that it was good, I should get some more

looseTman

TeaBrat, You may find this thread of interest:
It also sounds like your Keemun search experience may be helpful to the readers of it.

MzPriss

Flowery – Im very sad I just read this. My most recent Mandala order is likely on its way and now I have toi turn around and do another. I LOOOOVE Keemuns and I love Mandala. Sigh. Y’all are bad influences.

@TeaBrat – I recntly got samples of most of Upton`s Keemuns. I need to get busy and try them.

Flowery

Oh that stinks MzPriss… at least they have very reasonable shipping? Definitely not one to be missed. :) I just ordered 4 ounces myself, and I almost never order more than 2 ounces of anything, usually 1. It’s really special and has just grown on me!

TeaBrat

MzPriss – I look forward to your reviews

looseTman – I’ll check it out

MzPriss

@Flowery – mine is on the way