Keemun Xiang Luo (ZK50)

Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

• “A tea to be savored, this delicate Keemun does not feature the smokey tobacco flavor of some, but the alluring blend of spice (cinnamon and allspice) and red wine is delicious. This is not an...” Read full tasting note
    triumph 99 tasting notes
  • “Smelled richly of chocolate as I opened the bag, and then just as much after steeping. It was a beautiful cup hot, but as it cools I've lost the chocolate flavor other than the richness of it, and...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 944 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the afternoon...... I recently bought a few black tea samples from Upton again. I tend to do this for entertainment, mostly, but every now and then I find something great. I get the...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 956 tasting notes
  • “I must be a glutton for punishment but I keep trying keemun samples to find a few that I like. :) I steeped this for 3 minutes and am finding this is one of the most gentle keemuns I have tried. I...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2172 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

A rare offering from An Hui province, home of the famous Hao-Ya teas. This offering has an intensely rich character, with deep chocolate notes in the cup as well as in the leaf aroma. A truly outstanding selection.

Origin: China

Steeping Suggestions: –
Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 212°(boiling)
Steep Time: 3-5 min.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

A tea to be savored, this delicate Keemun does not feature the smokey tobacco flavor of some, but the alluring blend of spice (cinnamon and allspice) and red wine is delicious. This is not an in-your-face tea, but often restraint is the essence of beauty.

Smelled richly of chocolate as I opened the bag, and then just as much after steeping. It was a beautiful cup hot, but as it cools I’ve lost the chocolate flavor other than the richness of it, and it’s become a bit astrigent for my liking.

Flavors: Chocolate

Tea of the afternoon……

I get the typical profile of a quality Keemun. This is oh so smooth and gentle. Very low to almost undetectable on the smoke. Notes of cocoa, bread, malt (I kind of think the bread/malt note is very similar in a way) with a touch of floral. One of the reasons this one caught my eye is that it is the same type of tea that Andrews & Dunham is offering as their limited Edition Spring Keemun. I am still on the fence about that one due to the cost and no samples. This one is pretty pricey on its own. It hits about the max I feel comfortable spending, if the tea is special. I am not sure if this one is worth it.

Usual mug method.

MzPriss

JenW I bought that A&D Spring Keemun and I would be happy to send you some. It’s nice but its not one I will hoard, so hit me up if you want some.

SimplyJenW

MzPriss- Thank you so much for the offer, but I think I will skip it. I am one of those weird people who always falls madly in love with a limited tea and then I am kicking myself later, LOL! I am just going to save myself the hassle!

I steeped this for 3 minutes and am finding this is one of the most gentle keemuns I have tried. I definitely get the cocoa/roasted notes but not much tobacco/smoke that you find in some keemuns. There’s a few interesting fruity notes in here that are reminiscent of wine. I’d recommend drinking this straight in order to appreciate the delicate flavor. it is lighter in body than most other keemuns I’ve had. In fact, I might try steeping this a little longer next time.

Not destined to be a personal favorite, but I have enjoyed the cup. This morning I’m thinking about going back to bed after I’ve had my tea and breakfast!

Flowery

Have you tried Mandala’s Black Beauty? They describe it as ‘keemun style’. I’ve never found a keemun I love but can’t get enough Black Beauty, and it gets rave reviews here.

Flowery

Ha, never mind – just saw your review on it. ;)

TeaBrat

yes I do recall that it was good, I should get some more

looseTman

TeaBrat, You may find this thread of interest:
It also sounds like your Keemun search experience may be helpful to the readers of it.

MzPriss

Flowery – Im very sad I just read this. My most recent Mandala order is likely on its way and now I have toi turn around and do another. I LOOOOVE Keemuns and I love Mandala. Sigh. Y’all are bad influences.

@TeaBrat – I recntly got samples of most of Upton`s Keemuns. I need to get busy and try them.

Flowery

Oh that stinks MzPriss… at least they have very reasonable shipping? Definitely not one to be missed. :) I just ordered 4 ounces myself, and I almost never order more than 2 ounces of anything, usually 1. It’s really special and has just grown on me!

TeaBrat

MzPriss – I look forward to your reviews

looseTman – I’ll check it out

MzPriss

@Flowery – mine is on the way