Malabar Estate Java OP Clonal (TI88)

Black Tea Leaves
Grapes, Melon, Tobacco, Wood, Cinnamon, Orange Zest
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 3 g 14 oz / 412 ml

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “Well, a second tea from the Steepster Select that I haven't been impressed with. I love the idea of Select, but I think I'm going to wait a little longer until it gets teas more to my taste. Now...” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 149 tasting notes
  • “(1st steep; 3.5 min) This tea has an aroma that I have come to associate with black tea. I wish I had a better description, but that the only description I have arrived at. The first flavor that I...” Read full tasting note
    jbpowell78 61 tasting notes
  • “I clearly don't have the delicate palate that the below reviewers have. I don't taste the notes others do...never have, never will. My palate is pedestrian. But what I do have to say about this...” Read full tasting note
    arnieadam 7 tasting notes
  • “First taste of caramel dissolves quickly into bold tannins. At first I could barely taste anything but tannins, but as it cools I am able to find traces of citrus and a teeny bitfof spice. Not...” Read full tasting note
    tooch 31 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

A boutique offering showcasing the unique terroir of West Java in Indonesia. Volcanic soil, high altitude, and careful harvesting make for a unique cup. Goes great with milk. This is one of the best high-grown Java teas we have seen in years.

Origin:   Indonesia

About Upton Tea Imports View company

Well, a second tea from the Steepster Select that I haven’t been impressed with. I love the idea of Select, but I think I’m going to wait a little longer until it gets teas more to my taste.

Now on to this tea, I got the mahogany taste, but that was about it, smokey, paprika, leather, almost like the burnt ends from BBQ. Really not what I think of for a single estate tea. I haven’t really had many Indonesian teas that ‘wow’ me, and this is no exception.

(1st steep; 3.5 min) This tea has an aroma that I have come to associate with black tea. I wish I had a better description, but that the only description I have arrived at. The first flavor that I detect from this tea is a slightly sweet fruitiness like that of a melon. This is quickly replaced by wood and copper. I am curious to see how it changes in additional steepings. There is a drying sensation that quickly removes any lingering flavors once the tea has been swallowed. While a solid black tea, nothing about it stands out for me.

(2nd steep; 4 min) In the second steeping, the aroma is closer to tobacco. Some of that tobacco flavor comes through in the flavor of the tea. There is less of the sweet fruit (melon) flavor than in the first steeping. The wood is still very forward with the tobacco finishing out the layers of flavor. The tobacco seems to have replaced the copper in the first steeping. There is still the drying at the end which is nice which clears away the flavors. I am enjoying the second steep more than the first.

(3rd steep; 4.5 min) The aroma from the final steeping presents a heavier tobacco than the previous steepings. The fruit flavor is now closer to a grape than a melon. There is almost no wood flavor, but the tobacco is present and central. Also, there is a notable lack of the drying in this steeping. That is not to say that this steeping is mellow. I have enjoyed how this tea has changed during the each steeping.

Flavors: Grapes, Melon, Tobacco, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

I clearly don’t have the delicate palate that the below reviewers have. I don’t taste the notes others do…never have, never will. My palate is pedestrian. But what I do have to say about this tea is this: It’s a lovely black tea. It doesn’t have any bitter notes. It has a certain clarity to its flavor while still being full-bodied and complex. It continues to taste good, even when it cools.

First taste of caramel dissolves quickly into bold tannins. At first I could barely taste anything but tannins, but as it cools I am able to find traces of citrus and a teeny bitfof spice. Not terribly jazzed about this one; it’s fine if you’re liking for a warm, full-bodied tea, but it was lacking some complexity and depth of flavor for me. 6.5/10

Backlog:

One of the teas from February’s Steepster Select box.

Sweet with caramel undertones. Malty. Strong, robust … makes a great pick-me-up sort of tea. Fruit notes (grape) with a dry tail. At mid-sip, I noticed an orange peel sort of flavor, and a very subtle hint of cinnamon.

I’ve never had anything quite like this before. It feels very heavy, if that makes sense, but in a very good way. I liked this a lot.. I definitely notice a grape flavor and a bit of astringency. I loved this even more with some milk (per the packaging’s recommendation).. And I usually do not add milk to my tea.

This black tea has a nice red orange liquor and a very full flavor. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick, almost like half and half, and I’ve added only water to the leaves! The initial taste is quite fruity. I’m getting more of an orange zest flavor than anything, but there’s a red fruit flavor underneath like grapes or a tart strawberry. The finish is somewhat astringent and dry with a slight woodiness. This is definitely a robust tea, leaning on the tangy and tart side.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Another pick from the Steepster Select box.

Pretty standard. Was expecting more of a coffee/bitter brew, but was pleasantly surprised by what seems as a normal breakfast tea. A little astringent, but not too overbearing. I’m getting more of a note of wood than any fruit. The after taste at the back of my tongue is slightly reminiscent of grape skin…a little tart/bitter, but not too fruity. I’m not picking up on the grapes though. Doesn’t need milk or sugar, as it is pleasant on its own, but I will try a little sweetener to see if any more notes come out…

1 sugar in the raw packet seems to make it taste of sweetened wood (huh?) with the slightest note of chocolate toward the tail end. But that might just be the natural molasses in the sugar cane.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

Enjoying the last of this February 2014 Steepster Select tea as I sit and wait for the race start. Tea, time to read,and my morning run in before 9 am. It is one way to rock a Saturday morning.

I am enjoying this one a bit more than last time. I still get tannins and a dry finish, but this time I get a bit of citrus/fruit in the middle. Not one I need to keep in my stash, but I wouldn’t turn down another cup.

Charissa

Tea, reading, and running?! Three of my favorite things! Yes, that would be my definition of a PERFECT Saturday. Hope the rest of your day is just as fantastic!

TeaTiff

Running and reading are harder to come by now with the little one so the trifecta in one morning. Yep, perfect Saturday morning agreed!

I am just now digging into my second Steepster select box. I actually cancelled for the time being because I am a bit tealogged at the moment, and I don’t want the tea I have to get old and stale. The tasting notes for this tea mentioned a grape flavor, so I was initially a bit apprehensive. I love grapes, I like wine, but I have never been a fan of grape flavor. However, it is such a natural and subtle note in this tea that I actually enjoy it quite a bit. This tea is a lot of different from other black teas that I usually drink, but not in a bad way. It’s a bit more mellow, with a nice mouthfeel. It’s not too weak or too strong, and the grape keeps it interesting. I am glad this was one of the Steepster choices!

Flavors: Grapes