Malabar Estate Java OP Clonal (TI88)

Black Tea Leaves
Grapes, Melon, Tobacco, Wood, Cinnamon, Orange Zest
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 3 g 14 oz / 412 ml

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “Well, a second tea from the Steepster Select that I haven't been impressed with. I love the idea of Select, but I think I'm going to wait a little longer until it gets teas more to my taste. Now...” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 149 tasting notes
  • “(1st steep; 3.5 min) This tea has an aroma that I have come to associate with black tea. I wish I had a better description, but that the only description I have arrived at. The first flavor that I...” Read full tasting note
    jbpowell78 61 tasting notes
  • “I clearly don't have the delicate palate that the below reviewers have. I don't taste the notes others do...never have, never will. My palate is pedestrian. But what I do have to say about this...” Read full tasting note
    arnieadam 7 tasting notes
  • “First taste of caramel dissolves quickly into bold tannins. At first I could barely taste anything but tannins, but as it cools I am able to find traces of citrus and a teeny bitfof spice. Not...” Read full tasting note
    tooch 31 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

A boutique offering showcasing the unique terroir of West Java in Indonesia. Volcanic soil, high altitude, and careful harvesting make for a unique cup. Goes great with milk. This is one of the best high-grown Java teas we have seen in years.

Origin:   Indonesia

About Upton Tea Imports View company

I’ve been having a little bit of an end of the month sipdown party over here, & this is another one. I’m staying in tonight, so I can a few end of the month things done in my office, including updating my tea list & printing out the new ‘Menu’. I’d like to believe that I’m ending the month with less teas than I started with, but that may not be true, as I’ve received several care packages from friends.

Oh, & I’d like to publicly apologize to the people I said I’d send out samples to, and also to the people who have sent me teas that I haven’t gotten around to drinking & posting about yet. I haven’t forgotten you or your teas, I promise!

So the first steeping of this tea is very tasty, fruity, & satisfying. The resteep is just ok.

I’m not a fan of OPs generally, and this did nothing to change my mind. I took it with me as a travel tea though and admit I was grateful to have tea that tasted like tea at all, since you just never know what you’ll get.

First steep reminds me of a very smooth English breakfast, with a slight bitter aftertaste that goes well with the tea. Second steep is a bit more complex with cinnamon and clove undertones. A very nice cup of black tea.

Flavors: Cinnamon

This is just as described on the package,,,,grape and mahogany notes with a dry finish. I taste a hint of orange peel in there as well.
I am a novice to quality black teas but the two I have tried now have been from Upton
Teas and I have been very impressed. Very delicious!!!

From the Steepster Select Box, February 2014

Flavors: Grapes, Orange Zest

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

The dry leaf does smell like grape! In a good, earthy way, not like a fake flavoring. This is a very fruity black tea, distinct and ejoyable. Quite tasty, but not one I’d feel compelled to buy any more of, mostly because I can’t make up my mind about how to prepare it. Straight? With milk? With sugar? Any works, but none seems quite right.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 3 g

2/20/14 Another Steepster Select tea. Brewed as per the packet instructions,
1 packet/12oz/212F/3.5min. A nice black tea. Very dark in the cup, with an aroma of brown sugar and wine/grape. Pleasantly astringent without being bitter. I’ll probably add milk to future cups, as suggested.