TI88: Malabar Estate Java OP Clonal

Black Tea Leaves
Apple, Astringent, Floral, Flowers, Leeks, Vegetables, Vegetal, Grapes, Melon, Tobacco, Wood, Cinnamon, Orange Zest
Medium
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 2 g 13 oz / 383 ml

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “Orange. Very barely almost not there bit of floral with green underneath. Astringent but only mildly and it’s around the top of the back of the throat. Blues and greens with a leek tone....” Read full tasting note
    RumpusParable 296 tasting notes
  • “This tea brought back memories of the time I asked a fellow of Irish descent which teas are used in Irish breakfast blend. His reply? Black tea. Very standard black tea profile, as...” Read full tasting note
    shera-pop 1732 tasting notes
  • “Well, a second tea from the Steepster Select that I haven’t been impressed with. I love the idea of Select, but I think I’m going to wait a little longer until it gets teas more to my...” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 149 tasting notes
  • “(1st steep; 3.5 min) This tea has an aroma that I have come to associate with black tea. I wish I had a better description, but that the only description I have arrived at. The first flavor that I...” Read full tasting note
    jbpowell78 61 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

A boutique offering showcasing the unique terroir of West Java in Indonesia. Volcanic soil, high altitude, and careful harvesting make for a unique cup. Goes great with milk. This is one of the best high-grown Java teas we have seen in years.

Origin:   Indonesia

About Upton Tea Imports View company

Blues and greens with a leek tone. Dark green vegetables like leeks, raw kale, but no taste at all of broccoli or Brussels sprouts. Not like those.

Finish becomes astringency behind the front teeth and lightly back of tongue, between there is none.

Fruit comes to mind but maybe apple. Apple that is not sweet, a dryer, blander apple taste..

It’s not bad but I’m not impressed. It’s a mid-level taste.

2.25g/6oz

Flavors: Apple, Astringent, Floral, Flowers, Leeks, Vegetables, Vegetal

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Very standard black tea profile, as in: Lipton, Red Rose, Tetley, if that’s what you’re after (and many prople are), then you may as well just head on down to the grocery store. Nothing wrong with a stout and economical midafternoon caffeine jolt, of course!

Perhaps the Irish fellow thought that I assumed that everything Irish somehow had to be green?

Well, a second tea from the Steepster Select that I haven’t been impressed with. I love the idea of Select, but I think I’m going to wait a little longer until it gets teas more to my taste.

Now on to this tea, I got the mahogany taste, but that was about it, smokey, paprika, leather, almost like the burnt ends from BBQ. Really not what I think of for a single estate tea. I haven’t really had many Indonesian teas that ‘wow’ me, and this is no exception.

(1st steep; 3.5 min) This tea has an aroma that I have come to associate with black tea. I wish I had a better description, but that the only description I have arrived at. The first flavor that I detect from this tea is a slightly sweet fruitiness like that of a melon. This is quickly replaced by wood and copper. I am curious to see how it changes in additional steepings. There is a drying sensation that quickly removes any lingering flavors once the tea has been swallowed. While a solid black tea, nothing about it stands out for me.

(2nd steep; 4 min) In the second steeping, the aroma is closer to tobacco. Some of that tobacco flavor comes through in the flavor of the tea. There is less of the sweet fruit (melon) flavor than in the first steeping. The wood is still very forward with the tobacco finishing out the layers of flavor. The tobacco seems to have replaced the copper in the first steeping. There is still the drying at the end which is nice which clears away the flavors. I am enjoying the second steep more than the first.

(3rd steep; 4.5 min) The aroma from the final steeping presents a heavier tobacco than the previous steepings. The fruit flavor is now closer to a grape than a melon. There is almost no wood flavor, but the tobacco is present and central. Also, there is a notable lack of the drying in this steeping. That is not to say that this steeping is mellow. I have enjoyed how this tea has changed during the each steeping.

Flavors: Grapes, Melon, Tobacco, Wood

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

I clearly don’t have the delicate palate that the below reviewers have. I don’t taste the notes others do…never have, never will. My palate is pedestrian. But what I do have to say about this tea is this: It’s a lovely black tea. It doesn’t have any bitter notes. It has a certain clarity to its flavor while still being full-bodied and complex. It continues to taste good, even when it cools.

First taste of caramel dissolves quickly into bold tannins. At first I could barely taste anything but tannins, but as it cools I am able to find traces of citrus and a teeny bitfof spice. Not terribly jazzed about this one; it’s fine if you’re liking for a warm, full-bodied tea, but it was lacking some complexity and depth of flavor for me. 6.5/10

Backlog:

One of the teas from February’s Steepster Select box.

Sweet with caramel undertones. Malty. Strong, robust … makes a great pick-me-up sort of tea. Fruit notes (grape) with a dry tail. At mid-sip, I noticed an orange peel sort of flavor, and a very subtle hint of cinnamon.

I’ve never had anything quite like this before. It feels very heavy, if that makes sense, but in a very good way. I liked this a lot.. I definitely notice a grape flavor and a bit of astringency. I loved this even more with some milk (per the packaging’s recommendation).. And I usually do not add milk to my tea.

This black tea has a nice red orange liquor and a very full flavor. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick, almost like half and half, and I’ve added only water to the leaves! The initial taste is quite fruity. I’m getting more of an orange zest flavor than anything, but there’s a red fruit flavor underneath like grapes or a tart strawberry. The finish is somewhat astringent and dry with a slight woodiness. This is definitely a robust tea, leaning on the tangy and tart side.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Another pick from the Steepster Select box.

Pretty standard. Was expecting more of a coffee/bitter brew, but was pleasantly surprised by what seems as a normal breakfast tea. A little astringent, but not too overbearing. I’m getting more of a note of wood than any fruit. The after taste at the back of my tongue is slightly reminiscent of grape skin…a little tart/bitter, but not too fruity. I’m not picking up on the grapes though. Doesn’t need milk or sugar, as it is pleasant on its own, but I will try a little sweetener to see if any more notes come out…

1 sugar in the raw packet seems to make it taste of sweetened wood (huh?) with the slightest note of chocolate toward the tail end. But that might just be the natural molasses in the sugar cane.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML