Namring Estate 2nd Flush

Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “2/18/14 Afternoon tea with my husband. 1 packet/12oz/212F/2.5min From my Select box! Pretty pretty brew. I enjoyed it very much, though I can't describe it well since it's...” Read full tasting note
    AnnaEA 82 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I love a second flush Darjeeling, so I was happy to find one in my Steepster Select box from February. A lovely fruit note: black currant and grape. I am tasting sweet and a hint of...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4231 tasting notes
  • “This tea had such a nutty roasted aroma that I was almost taken aback by the tangy tannins that hit me on the first sip. Was pleased when it mellowed into a malty finish, and actually find the tea...” Read full tasting note
    tooch 16 tasting notes
  • “This is one of the teas from the *February 2014* Steepster Box. This is one of my first Darjeelings. I am not sure what to write about this one. It is hard for me to pick out flavors in this...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 199 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

Darjeeling, India
Grown high in the Teesta valley at the base of the Himalayas, this 2nd flush brews up with the famed muscatel aroma associated with high grade Darjeelings. A classic afternoon tea.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

2/18/14 Afternoon tea with my husband. 1 packet/12oz/212F/2.5min From my Select box! Pretty pretty brew. I enjoyed it very much, though I can’t describe it well since it’s the first darjeeling I’ve drunk in ages and ages. I brewed it as per the instructions on the packet, and it made a nice potful for dH and I to share before he left for work.

Backlog:

I love a second flush Darjeeling, so I was happy to find one in my Steepster Select box from February. A lovely fruit note: black currant and grape. I am tasting sweet and a hint of tart from these fruit notes. Somewhat tannic, but, that’s something I tend to expect from a Darjeeling like this.

I taste muscatel, woody notes, subtle hints of earth, a wine-like finish. A nice afternoon cup.

This tea had such a nutty roasted aroma that I was almost taken aback by the tangy tannins that hit me on the first sip. Was pleased when it mellowed into a malty finish, and actually find the tea as a whole to be quite enjoyable. A nice, medium bodied tea, but the tannins give a little pucker that I almost found refreshing on a warm day. 7.5/10

This is one of the teas from the February 2014 Steepster Box.

This is one of my first Darjeelings. I am not sure what to write about this one. It is hard for me to pick out flavors in this tea. It has a very dry finish. It makes my tongue think it is a tad bit bitter at the finish of the sip, and there is a woody/fruity mouth full.

From tasting this tea I am tempted to purchase a sample set of darjeelings to see how they compare and if there are any that I would like. This one is enjoyable, but does not stand out as a tea I would purchase again.

(1st Steep – 2.5 min) This tea has the softer aroma and flavor that you would expect from a Darjeeling. The muscatel flavor mentioned in the description is present but not overpowering. It is more of a slight sweetness followed by a slight woody flavor. It finishes clean and has a slight drying sensation. All in all I would say a great late afternoon tea. However, I could see myself drinking it all day.

(2nd Steep – 3 min) I noticed very little change between the first and second steeping of this tea. Possibly a little less of the drying sensation at the end, but it was minimal.

(3rd Steep – 3.5 min) The third steeping produced more of the cut-wood notes with the sweeter flavors more subtle. However, it is still a great drinking tea that has proved enjoyable all day.

I will probably continue drinking this tea in the afternoon, and probably up the initial steep time to 3 minutes.

A bit too much muscatel for my taste, with coppery aftertones and bitterness on the tip of my tongue. Not my favorite tea from this box, but it was better than the jasmine.

Flavors: Flowers, Metallic

I am back to review this tea for a second time, after initially disliking it and giving it a meager 15 rating. I learned some things about Darjeeling tea which I wish I’d have known the first time around and now that I’ve learned how to brew it properly, this has bumped my rating up to around a 55. That’s probably still a meager score to some, but I try to use the full range of the scale in my reviews, so that to me is fairly neutral, erring a bit on the higher side. In other words… it was enjoyable to drink, but I wouldn’t buy more of it.

But I do want to stress that it WAS enjoyable to drink. Brew this tea around 194F/90C and you are in for a treat! The flavor is rich and warm. There is an apricot-like taste up front, especially in the second steeping. It is backed by some darker bittersweet tones underneath. I brewed this tea many ways trying to find a good combination, and I can say that brewing it at any temperature above 194 made it have a very dry finish and a good deal of astringency. At 194 these are for the most part not present, though still there a bit.

This is a good tea if you treat it right! Don’t scorch it! Really, try it at a lower temp than the typical “black tea gets boiling water” and you’ll be pleasantly surprised!

Flavors: Apricot, Dark Bittersweet

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I tasted no lemon or apricot.
It does have what I perceive to be a muscatel quality, but admit I am enough
of a newbie to state I am still very much learning about teas,
especially darjeelings, I was believing that I hated them all (darjeelings)until I tried this one.
By Far the best Darjeeling I have ever tried.
Very pleasant (muscatel? ) aroma…slightly dry, astringent tea…In a good way.
I could be persuaded to try additional darjeelings based on this tea.

I didn’t love this. It was kind of lemony and tart. I didn’t hate it, but I wouldn’t really be interested in buying something like this for myself…

First sample from the Steepster Select box I won! Woohoo!

I chose this as a sample because I was at a nice folksy-hipster restaurant the other day and they had a wide assortment of loose leaf tea. I always try to get a pot to finish my meal with, and I wanted to try their Organic Darjeeling FTGFOP from the Makaibari Estate. It was TREMENDOUSLY delicious, and so I bought some…don’t know what it is, but it tastes like low quality tea…I’ve been messing with the temperature and duration, but have yet to find a combo that yields as good a result as I had in the restaurant. I went back the next day and ordered another pot, and it was just as delicious as the first, so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong….but I digress….

Anyways, this brewed up a beautiful red. Initial scent was of pine nuts or chestnuts? I’m not sure, but something a little nutty. Since this is my first actual Darjeeling (well, second I guess…), I don’t know what to expect or look for. Tastes like black tea to me! Haha. But in all seriousness, I’m not really picking up the muscatel notes. The Darjeeling I had in the restaurant was almost malty and grapey…it was fruity, with the mouth-feel of eating grapes. I swear, I understood the whole “muscat grape” description. I’m not really getting that with this one. It’s a little astringent towards the back end, but that might also just be because I was eating cinnamon Life cereal earlier (whoops!). Definitely will have to edit and give this one another chance with the 2nd packet they supplied. Decent tea, but still unknowing of what to expect.

EDIT: After nearing the end of the cup, I definitely notice the strong aroma of grapes and wine, but I am not picking up the flavor

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML