Namring Estate 2nd Flush Darjeeling

Darjeeling Tea
Flowers, Metallic, Apricot, Dark Bittersweet, Lemon Zest, Mineral, Wood
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “2/18/14 Afternoon tea with my husband. 1 packet/12oz/212F/2.5min From my Select box! Pretty pretty brew. I enjoyed it very much, though I can't describe it well since it's...” Read full tasting note
    AnnaEA 93 tasting notes
  • “I brewed up another glass of this Namring Estate 2nd Flush Darjeeling from Upton by way of Steepster Select. I've been exploring the second flush darjeelings from Golden Tips and was wondering how...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 1293 tasting notes
  • “This sample tea came from the February Steepster Select box, which shows how far behind I am in trying out the samples that I have -- it's now the beginning of June. I couldn't help but sneak a...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2542 tasting notes
  • “:/ I had a nice pretty review written, and then my computer crashed. So sorry that I can't be bothered writing up as nice of one. No aroma when I opened the pouch, leaves were a lower quality...” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 149 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

Darjeeling, India

Grown high in the Teesta valley at the base of the Himalayas, this 2nd flush brews up with the famed muscatel aroma associated with high grade Darjeelings. A classic afternoon tea.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

2/18/14 Afternoon tea with my husband. 1 packet/12oz/212F/2.5min From my Select box! Pretty pretty brew. I enjoyed it very much, though I can’t describe it well since it’s the first darjeeling I’ve drunk in ages and ages. I brewed it as per the instructions on the packet, and it made a nice potful for dH and I to share before he left for work.

I brewed up another glass of this Namring Estate 2nd Flush Darjeeling from Upton by way of Steepster Select. I’ve been exploring the second flush darjeelings from Golden Tips and was wondering how this would measure up in comparison. I think that it’s not as good, but it’s true that I used only half of my envelope, so 2.2 grams (it contained 4.5 grams) for about 8 ounces of water. I kept the temperature cooler (82C rather than the Steepster Select recommendation of 100C—which is a big mistake, imnsho), and I brewed for about 3 minutes.

The resultant liquor was amber colored and pretty good but not great. I do not believe that darjeelings can be successfully re-steeped, but I tried last time (Steepster Select says on the envelope that it’s good for 3 re-steeps!). It tasted like dishwater, so I’m not bothering this time.

Does anyone in the universe, aside from Steepster Select, recommend that darjeeling be re-steeped? I’ve never read it anywhere. It seems like a ploy to make the program seem to cost less than it does. You do not, my tea-infused friends, get four 12 ounces cups of tea from this envelope. No, you do not.

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Excelsior

The first steep of a Spring Darjeelings is infinitely better, but at work I often resteep for a second mug of tea.
Water Temperature 100C
Steep for 20 to 25 minutes
It lacks the full flavor of the first steep but still retains the characteristic tastes of a Darjeeling tea. Since I have not tasted dishwater, I cannot compare.

Happy Steeping!

Kat_Maria

100C for a darjeeling??? Never! :O

Excelsior

Trying to get flavor out of a second steep requires severe parameters. 100C for a first steep? Never. 85-95C? Yes. 20-25 minute steep? Absolutely not! 3 or 4 minutes? Yes, for a first steep.

Try re-steeping at 85C for 3 minutes. Does it taste like dishwater? Probably.

sherapop

Thanks, Excelsior, for this interesting testimony! Do you then zap your cup to make it hot again? It must be cold by the time you’ve finished steeping!

sherapop

btw: no I have not imbibed dishwater, but I have smelled it, so let’s just say that the second infusion tasted how I gather dishwater tastes…

Excelsior

Actually, my porcelain teapot retains the heat rather well and the tea is still hot even after 25 minutes. I gathered you were not in the habit of tasting dishwater.

This sample tea came from the February Steepster Select box, which shows how far behind I am in trying out the samples that I have — it’s now the beginning of June.

I couldn’t help but sneak a peek at the other reviews and I saw a lot of dismal thoughts about this one. I confess that 2nd flush darjeelings don’t tend to be a favorite of mine, but I’m up for trying any tea at least once.

I noticed the wet leaf smells very “woody” — almost like musk — when I took the infuser out of the teapot. The tea liquor steeps up to be a medium orangish-brown in color. As far as the flavor is concerned, Upton’s flavor description seems to be spot on. I would also describe it as woody with a hint of muscatel. There’s a slight astringency in the finish but it is palatable.

I liked this better than most of the other reviewers did; though I still don’t plan to put this on my shopping list anytime soon. A pinch of raw cane sugar makes a nice addition to this.

I started my writing class yesterday which is very interesting so far. Maybe I’ll get inspired soon to write some more blog postings. :)

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

:/ I had a nice pretty review written, and then my computer crashed. So sorry that I can’t be bothered writing up as nice of one.

No aroma when I opened the pouch, leaves were a lower quality than I would normally like, but as I had been given this sample, I don’t know where this degradation happened.

As it brews. no distinct aroma, maybe some faint wet cardboard. brews dark for such a surprising little amount of tea, but I guess that is from it being crushed.

The tea itself is pretty awful. If I had more of this tea than the sample, it would be reserved for ice-tea grade only. No muscatel, bitter and astringent, I see no “good” taste in this tea.

SFTGFOP

I’m throwing out the rest of my cup. Really not worth finishing.

Excelsior

I’ts teas like this that make people think Darjeeling? I just don’t get it.

I’m waiting for Mariage Freres to get more of their Spring Flush teas in and then I’ll start making my purchases for Spring Flush 2014 Darjeelings.

SFTGFOP

hahah I look forward to reading your reviews on the new stuff! I’ve heard bad drought again this year, but they seem to say that every year. I’ve also heard some estates are starting to bring in irrigation for their first flushes.

This tea was such a let down, I may actually go back and edit it even lower.

The leaves were really quite old though, so gosh knows what this tea tasted like when it was fresh. I actually had a good Balasun Darjeeling earlier today, which might have influenced the harsh-ness of this review.

When you find a good Darjeeling, there is nothing that will compare.

Backlog:

I love a second flush Darjeeling, so I was happy to find one in my Steepster Select box from February. A lovely fruit note: black currant and grape. I am tasting sweet and a hint of tart from these fruit notes. Somewhat tannic, but, that’s something I tend to expect from a Darjeeling like this.

I taste muscatel, woody notes, subtle hints of earth, a wine-like finish. A nice afternoon cup.

This tea had such a nutty roasted aroma that I was almost taken aback by the tangy tannins that hit me on the first sip. Was pleased when it mellowed into a malty finish, and actually find the tea as a whole to be quite enjoyable. A nice, medium bodied tea, but the tannins give a little pucker that I almost found refreshing on a warm day. 7.5/10

I had the last package of this tea this afternoon at work. After exploring other Darjeelings this one stands out as pretty flavorful. I really enjoyed this for an afternoon tea! I am upping my rating of this tea.

(1st Steep – 2.5 min) This tea has the softer aroma and flavor that you would expect from a Darjeeling. The muscatel flavor mentioned in the description is present but not overpowering. It is more of a slight sweetness followed by a slight woody flavor. It finishes clean and has a slight drying sensation. All in all I would say a great late afternoon tea. However, I could see myself drinking it all day.

(2nd Steep – 3 min) I noticed very little change between the first and second steeping of this tea. Possibly a little less of the drying sensation at the end, but it was minimal.

(3rd Steep – 3.5 min) The third steeping produced more of the cut-wood notes with the sweeter flavors more subtle. However, it is still a great drinking tea that has proved enjoyable all day.

I will probably continue drinking this tea in the afternoon, and probably up the initial steep time to 3 minutes.

A bit too much muscatel for my taste, with coppery aftertones and bitterness on the tip of my tongue. Not my favorite tea from this box, but it was better than the jasmine.

Flavors: Flowers, Metallic

I am back to review this tea for a second time, after initially disliking it and giving it a meager 15 rating. I learned some things about Darjeeling tea which I wish I’d have known the first time around and now that I’ve learned how to brew it properly, this has bumped my rating up to around a 55. That’s probably still a meager score to some, but I try to use the full range of the scale in my reviews, so that to me is fairly neutral, erring a bit on the higher side. In other words… it was enjoyable to drink, but I wouldn’t buy more of it.

But I do want to stress that it WAS enjoyable to drink. Brew this tea around 194F/90C and you are in for a treat! The flavor is rich and warm. There is an apricot-like taste up front, especially in the second steeping. It is backed by some darker bittersweet tones underneath. I brewed this tea many ways trying to find a good combination, and I can say that brewing it at any temperature above 194 made it have a very dry finish and a good deal of astringency. At 194 these are for the most part not present, though still there a bit.

This is a good tea if you treat it right! Don’t scorch it! Really, try it at a lower temp than the typical “black tea gets boiling water” and you’ll be pleasantly surprised!

Flavors: Apricot, Dark Bittersweet

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
sherapop

So true: 212F is a big mistake for darjeelings…