River Shannon Breakfast Blend (TB20)

Assam Black Tea, Ceylon Black Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle Szetela

• “I just love this tea. Its robust, brisk, and chewy. I just returned from the Dr. and I have strep throat. So, I'm going to drink tea and rest. I'll be back when I feel better which I hope is soon....” Read full tasting note
    Maniac49 429 tasting notes
  • “I was craving this after reading Dan's tasting note. I arrived home cold, rain soaked and mud splashed (once again!) so this was a perfect antidote :) Strong and brisk, no nonsense, takes milk and...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Ok, caveat guys: I am not, in fact, sure that this is River Shannon. It is in an Adagio Masala Chai sample tin, but it is definitely not chai. Because I am a giant nubcake, however, I failed to...” Read full tasting note
    chibibigos 382 tasting notes
  • “*The Final Sipdown: Day 10* Decupboarding Total: 18 Since I slacked yesterday (though not intentionally), I plan on decupboarding three teas today to keep my goal of two per day. So let's all...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes

From Upton Tea Imports

A blend of Tippy GFBOP Assam teas for strength, plus a distinctive, bright Ceylon tea for briskness. This Orthodox Process Irish Breakfast style tea is very flavorful. Reformulated with bolder and more uniform teas to produce a cleaner cup.

About Upton Tea Imports View company

Finished my sample yesterday. I ended up drinking it just to get rid of it rather than because I liked it. It’s not bad, it’s certainly drinkable, but it’s not to my tastes either. I’ve got myself a lovely new tin of the CTC Irish Breakfast and I will be sticking with that! mmm.

One of my favorite breakfast teas. It’s a robust blend of Assam and Ceylon. I have been alternating it with Upton CTC Irish Breakfast and I prefer the latter, being pure Assam. That said, it makes an excellent cup.

One of my new go-to teas; a good strong brew (I tend to nearly always add milk and sugar or creamer to my black teas, and this held up very well with the addition thereof). Be careful not to oversteep since it’s on the stronger side.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 125 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

The leaves in my sample are cut relatively small and smell good. They brewed up pretty dark/robust/rich. Tastes pretty malty to me, a worthy effort that I’d probably buy again. I thought this might be a little too strong for iced tea, but after trying it on the rocks I prefer it that way.

A robust and tasty breakfast blend. Overall the flavor is good and malty. I don’t car as much for the brisk Ceylon flavor at the end. I used to work at an office with Ceylon tea bags and I unfortunately burnt myself out on that kind of tea. But the Assam in there makes it bearable, even enjoyable with a little honey and half and half.

If you are looking for an Irish breakfast blend that is brisk and full-bodied, Upton’s River Shannon can be hard to beat. While I’ve tried a number of others, I keep returning to River Shannon as it makes a sweetly fragrant cup to start the day.