East Frisian BOP (TB51)

Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Upton Tea Imports

Description:
A classic Ostfriesen blend of Assam teas. Authentic 100% orthodox tea blended in Germany for those who like a hearty, malty tea.
Origin:
Germany

About Upton Tea Imports View company

Boom! I ran out of my stash of the now defunct SpecialTeas blend and after looking around for a new supplier I landed on Upton. This one is huge and heavy . . . a tea of planetary proportions. It’s the only tea I take with cream and sugar (a LOT of sugar) and there is nothing you can do to calm this one down. I love it.

I had to do a lot of experimenting to find just the right steeping time for this tea. I started with the recommended 3 minutes and gradually lessened the time. I think I finally got it down this morning. 2 1/4 minutes seems to be just right for my tastes.

Wow, this is brisk. Bold, earthy, good amount of astringency. I think next time I might steep slightly less than 3 minutes, but this was just what I needed to help me stay out of bed. I am in that weird period between ending winter classes and starting summer classes and having nothing to do is making me want to sleep all day. This tea is kind of jolting me awake!

Brewed up strong pretty quickly. Has a classic tea taste which always makes me want to make iced tea (and that is exactly what I did with it), yet there is also some earthiness to it. This is really hitting the spot tonight after doing a ton of yard work on an unusually warm Winter day. Very rich…the taste is lingering in my mouth for some time after drinking it. The price is very reasonable as well. Worthy of a re-order for sure.

This is quite nice – brisk yet drinkable! It’s really strong plain, and even with milk/2 sugars it is quite robust! It’s not very nuanced or distinctive, so it’s not going to be my favorite, but I found it enjoyable on this gloomy afternoon.

Very rich and malty, with a peaty/earthy smell.

Ahhhhh this is the type of black tea that is my happy zone. The kind that makes me take smaller sips just so that the cup will last longer.
Malty and rich, with just a hint of astringency. Not flowery, but perhaps hinting towards that edge.
It makes me sad that I’ve only got a sample, especially since none of my other black teas hit the bulls-eye of my preference so accurately. If I was to break my buying ban, it would be for this, or at the very least something that I hope could fill in the gap!
There is atleast one more cup’s worth, maybe two. Can I manage with just that until mid March??? I must…

TeaBrat

this is nice!

Indigobloom

It really is!! :)

Wow – I can understand why this tea gets high ratings. I’ve tasted three East Frisians recently (the two Uptons and also Harney & Sons). This one is a winner by a long shot. Awesome rich flavor. Added just a touch of honey and “wow”. I even noticed a hint of dusty chocolate.

Bold and robust. Perfect on a cold evening or cloudy day.

Probably the most robust tea I have had the pleasure of drinking. You want strong and flavorful ? You’ve got it with this one.