Richmond Park Blend TB86

Edit tea info Last updated by erteke
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 5 oz / 148 ml

From Upton Tea Imports

A mellow, whole-leaf blend of Keemun, Ceylon, and Darjeeling. An exceptional tea which is smooth enough for drinking plain, and sturdy enough to take milk or lemon. From our London blender.
Origin: England

About Upton Tea Imports View company

More Upton thunderdome-ing. Today it’s TB70 Finest Russian Caravan (India, China, Formosa) against TB86 Richmond Park Blend (Keemun, Ceylon, Darjeeling).

This one’s greener, grassier smelling dry. Whoa, this is weirdly tart and bitter. A very odd tea, and while I like being open-minded to teas that don’t taste like anything else I’ve had I’m pretty sure I would not seek this one out again. Some milk and sugar helps a little but it’s still weirdly tangy in an unpleasant way. Worse than Finest Russian Caravan (which was merely disappointing), probably worse than anything I’ve had from Upton. This is one of the first loose teas I’ve had where I’m struggling to want to finish the cup. Bummer.

EDIT: Anyanka put it so well when she said it was pickle-y. Yes! That’s a good way of describing the strange planty tanginess it has, which I was struggling to find words for.

This tea was a real surprise for me. I am a hardcore coffee snob—own a coffee press (including a travel one to bring with me on the way into the office), whole beans only thank you , etc. Tea to me is nice, but most of the standard blends were never as satisfying as the flavor seems to fade into something unpleasant after the first few sips.

To cut down on my daily intake of half and half I have started to explore better quality loose tea and gave the British Blend a whirl, After all, wouldn’t you expect the brits to have a good handle on blending a good tea.
This blend if my first experience of a tea that is as satisfying to sip as a cup of good coffee. Its strong, bold has body but not bitter AT ALL. Even as the softer more complex notes of the tea fade as the cup cools a bit this tea is still pleasant to sip. It stands up well to sugar and milk and tastes just as well straight up.
I finally understand why brits drink tea more often than coffee.

I first tasted this tea as part of a sampler set (British Blend Sample SB11) that I purchased last year. This tea alone was good enough to convince me that I ought to try some other teas from Upton. I have a hard time explaining why I like this blend so much. I remember saying something uninspired along the lines of, “It tastes like tea!” So many mild afternoon blends are so bland that they end up tasting like slightly stagnant tap water. The Richmond Park Blend tastes like tea. It still tastes like tea if milk, honey, or sugar are added, but I usually drink it with a splash of soymilk and no sweetener.

I got this as a free sample when my order from Upton Teas came in. I actually decided to make a latte with this instead of trying it plain, like I usually do when trying a tea for the first time.

It was really smooth with no astringency and stood up very well to all the milk (I made the latte a little milkier than I originally wanted). A very good breakfast type tea. I’m looking forward to trying it plain.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 2 OZ / 59 ML

This is a very nice blend of teas, perfect balance of the keemun. The fresh almost green taste of the darjeeling and the classic honeyness of the ceylon tea. This is a most try for all those that enjoy black tea!

The dry leaves are sweet-smelling, with a hint of chocolate. But I could not get that flavour from the steep.