Random Steepings

Tea
Honey, Lemon Zest, Plants, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2475 tasting notes
  • “pssst....i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes
  • “So Ceylon Star asked what kind of tea to mix up on facebook, and I immediately went into the kitchen and threw this desserty concoction together: 1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea 1/2 tsp...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1165 tasting notes
  • “Since I'm in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn't properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going to lump them all into one summary. And here it is, at least in order:
- Irish Breakfast – Butiki – I’m not totally sure, but I think I like this one better than Malty Irish Breakfast, but then again, as I said before, I love the one I’m drinking while I’m drinking it.
- Elderberry – Cheryl’s Herbs – This morning I woke feeling a little flu-like. Elderberry rocks!
- Golden Monkey Black – Teavivre…sigh…oh, beautiful delicious tea…
- Black Beauty – Mandala – oh, other beautiful delicious tea…
- Premium Taiwanese Assam – oh….you get this picture here, right?
I pretty much made a point of pampering myself with delicious teas, good food, & just chilling out doing office work all day. Now I’m drinking a pot of Pumpkin Spice (Rooibos) from Harney & sons. My only complaint is the gross ‘silk’ bags. I hate those.

Ze_Teamaker

Seems like a rich black tea tuesday.

Also is this a new entry for just random tea logging?

Terri HarpLady

It was a rich black tea tuesday!
I set up this ‘random steepings’ page a year or so ago, for days like today when I drank alot of tea, but don’t really feel like I have much to contribute by way of review. Or for whatever people want to use it for :)

Ze_Teamaker

SHWEET! This is nice for when you want to talk about a tea you drank, but don’t have to put up a nice review for it yet. I always hated to do half-backed reviews just to talk about it.

Terri HarpLady

I also get tired of reviewing the same tea over & over again, no matter how much I love it. I mean, after the 9th post, what else is there to say? It’s delicious, it’s wonderful, it’s redundant (not the tea, the review…lol)

pssst….i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you all and hope everyone is having a kick ass sort of weekend.

OMGsrsly

Hope you’re having fun with your family. :)

Cavocorax

Yay! Glad you’re having good times.

TheTeaFairy

So happy you get to spend some time with your family :-)

Terri HarpLady

Yup, enjoy that family time!! We’ll all be here waiting for you ;)

1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea
1/2 tsp Divine Temptation (black) from Bayswater
1/2 tsp Creme Brulee (black) from Bayswater
1 tsp Canadian Maple Seduction (black) from Steam Tea House

With 1-ish tsp maple syrup and some almond milk, because I don’t want whipped cream enough to walk the 1km to the grocery store in the rain.

Yummers. Yum! Just what I wanted, even though more caffeine at 7pm is probably not a super smart decision.

So good.

Recommend. (Maybe with a toffee puerh for more depth next time?)

Thanks for enabling me, Ceylon Star! :)

I’m a terrible influence, I’m sorry :P

OMGsrsly

AWESOME influence! I wanted some creme brulee today anyways, and this was a good way to have it. :)

Ceylon Star

I just finished my latte and I don’t know what else to drink O.o

OMGsrsly

Eenie meenie miney moe? All my teas are in a spreadsheet, so I just use =randbetween(a:b) and then see if I can actually FIND the tea.

Amariel

I need more CB and DT from Bayswater. So good.

Ceylon Star

I don’t have the attention span to do a spreadsheet. I usually end up playing “help pick a tea” with my buddy, or get panicky and grab something random. haha

Since I’m in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn’t properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a normal black. This time I got it straight. Woohee! This is bitter and strongly malty. I had 3 sips and then I had to sweeten it. Once I added honey, it smoothed out the flavor and was much better. There is a build up of bitterness in the mouthfeel and I feel like I need to brush my teeth. This isn’tsmething I would drink on a regular basis.

greenteafairy

I’ll have to go back and try this straight – it actually sounds like something I’d really enjoy, since I love black teas that are super strong and malty!

Fuzzy_Peachkin

I like strong and malty, but not bitter.

greenteafairy

Yeah, my bitterness threshold’s also pretty high – I think it comes from drinking too much (very strong) coffee over the years…

teamore

Could the bitterness just be the steeping process? Too bad you can’t just buy some leaves and make yourself. I love a good strong black tea, myself. Greenteafairy, our tastes are an exact match. lol.

More lavender experiments

1 TSP lavender
Few slices of ginger
Cinnamon (@1.5 inches crushed)
1/8th TSP licorice shredded licorice root.

@ 16Oz mug

Cinnamon and lavender dominate scent.

The flavour is a little thin for the amount of water I used. Next time I might add more ginger and slightly increase the cinnamon and lavender. The licorice root is perfect. However, the flavour does intensify while you drink it.

Warm slightly spicy tea, with a touch of sweetness, and a bit of brightness from the ginger and lavender. Not overly floral, the lavender and cinnamon kind of blend into each other, with the lavender only slightly dominant.

__Morgana__

I’m trying to imagine cinnamon and lavender together and totally failing in the attempt.

pyarkaaloo

cinnamon and lavender…how’s that working out? a creative pairing, no doubt. i imagine this to be a clash of titans. did u enjoy this one?

yyz

Its kind of interesting, the lavender I have is quite a spicy one. In some sips they kind of create their own unique entity, while in others the cinnamon is kind of woody cinnamon hearts and the lavender comes off slightly powdery compared to some of my other lavender experiments. Mostly its a sweet spicy mix with a touch of brightness.

yyz

I’m actually enjoying it. I wasn’t sure if I would like it, but for some reason it was in my mind to try it.

TheTeaFairy

Haha! I like reading about your little alchemy blend testings :-)

Tabby

Oooh, interesting. I can see lavender and ginger being nice together… the cinnamon makes it a little scary, haha.

yyz

I’m not sure if I like it as much as the lemongrass, lavender, ginger but it did taste pleasant to me, I think I want something to deepen the base a bit, but I really liked the last half cup. I might add it to the coconut experiment sometime maybe I can get lemon pound cake with lavender ( I have had that before).

Shh, don’t tell my tea stash. I cheated on it with some coffee at lunch today! I very very rarely drink coffee, but I had to opportunity to have Turkish coffee, which I do enjoy quite a bit. I love cardamom! YUM!

I’m heavily caffeinated now O_o

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Sounds like me yesterday. There was pumpkin spice coffee and I didn’t have time for tea that morning.

Stephanie

:D I’d go for a pumpkin spice…and in the winter a peppermint mocha if I need a serious boost when I am out running errands!

BrewTEAlly Sweet

I turn to caramel brûlée if I absolutely need to at Starbucks or a hazelnut macchiato

yyz

yum, but honestly my favourite fancy coffee is just espresso con pane ( especially if the whip cream is either unsweetened or has just a touch of vanilla syrup). ON the other hand the Starbucks closest to me has a very odd definition of a macchiato. I asked for one the other day and they basically gave me a full foam cappuccino. I still love coffee, though I’ve weaned myself mostly off it. Not like my mom though, once she quit, she couldn’t have more than half a cup or she’d have a migraine.

TeaBrat

I love them both!

Fjellrev

I haven’t had Turkish coffee but it sounds good!

I was carded tonight! Holy moly. Let’s just say I gladly produced my ID, and told the gal I was easily old enough to be her Mom. She corrected me after seeing my birth date, saying I just looked really young. Still hilarious.

What was I carded for? Tea. Well, a Peppermint Toddy, to be exact. First time I’ve had one, and it was delicious. Peppermint tea, Kahlua and Baileys, served hot in a mason jar with a cute paper napkin tied around the rim like a bandanna to keep my fingers from scorching. So much fun!

Roswell Strange

Oh, that sounds really good! I bet that’s tea that even Tre could get into :P

Hee! You definitely read young enough to get carded. :D

MissB

I’m going to try and find a recipe to make my own. Really yummy!

OMGsrsly, you flatterer you! :)

Kaylee

Well I know what I’m making after dinner tonight. That sounds delicious!

OMGsrsly

I rarely, if ever, buy alcohol, so I never get carded. :) My mom was once in San Fran. I was offered a beer at 13. :D

Dustin

I love hot alcoholic drinks! I’m going to have to try that one. Right now I’m on a hot buttered rum kick!

MissB

I’m definitely returning to this place to try more hot boozy drinks (hopefully also with some form of tea in them).

Kaylee

Here’s the recipe I used and it came out pretty tasty:
1 teabag Celestial Seasonings Peppermint/5 oz boiling water
steep for 10 minutes
add 1 oz Kahlua
add 1 oz Bailey’s Original
stir
microwave 20 secs on high

So. I finally blended my own chai. I included pink peppercorns, crystallized ginger, whole cloves, whole cardamom (which I crack open with a mortar and pestle right before brewing), broken up cinnamon sticks, and rooibos (this is our nighttime treat). I scoop in a perfect teaspoon and a half per 8 oz of water, and serve it with vanilla infused honey and a splash of milk.

Wow! Maybe because the spices are glorious ones from Penzeys, or maybe because I used just enough to make things flavorful but not ultra spicy or bitey, but — I’m in love! My husband is in love, too! He requests it every night, and I have to cajole him to try another tisane at least one night a week!

I want to try it with black tea and I also have 2 packets of flavored rooibos and one of honeybush I want to give the chai treatment to. I hope that will allow us to have chai throughout the winter without purchasing more tea!

SimplyJenW

This sounds wonderful. I am in complete agreement about the spices at Penzeys being glorious, too! Stay warm!

Bonnie

Another two resources are Savory Spice (online and in some cities) and happyluckys.com (they carry ‘true’ cinnamon chips not chassis and other herbs and spices in bulk for a good price…). I’ve said before that I keep a box of blending ingredients. Helps that I have 2 spice shops and happyluckys within 3miles of me though. Another thing people can add to tea is freeze dried fruit to get the natural flavors they’re looking for. Pineapple, blueberries etc.

inguna

Penzeys is awesome! We buy spices from them regularly. Can you recommend any favorites?

JacquelineM

All of the ones I mentioned above are fantastic. Their powdered cinnamon “Penzeys Cinnamon” is so good too — perfect blend of I think 3 or 4 different cinnamons. I also love their powdered mustard and mustard seeds! I’ve been making my own mustard and it’s so easy and delicious. I also love the seeds in chutneys. The other thing I love is their mixes of spices to make your own salad dressings. I haven’t bought a bottle in ages. The French Vinaigrette is my favorite, and my husband loves when I make mayo and use the ranch spices to make a salad dressing.

But honestly — I haven’t had a single spice from them that I didn’t love. I also love their catalog. The stories in it are so heartwarming. I can’t believe I sit there and cry reading a spice catalog! I’m such a dork.

inguna

I agree that Penzeys never disappoints. My family loves: Vietnamese Extra Fancy Cinnamon, berbere, Southwest Seasoning and Sweet Curry Powder.

gmathis

Never heard of Penzeys until y’all started dropping all these tantalizing hints. Merits some research, sounds like!

ashmanra

I went to Penzeys a month or so ago Andre quested help choosing some chai spices from a nice young man working there who is obsessed with chai! We came up with a very nice blend very similar to yours! I used an Assam as my base.

pyarkaaloo

the look on my face right now… :o this sounds righteously delicious!!

My husband just returned from a trip to Singapore and brought me back a few teas. One of them was labeled a Lapsang Souchong. I thought, oh crap, I seriously do not like them. But when I opened it. It smelled amazing. Rich chocolate. Dark roast. Is that normal? I always thought LS were just meat smokey. And I don’t eat meat, so I really don’t like my tea to taste like it. But this one was either mislabeled, or maybe there are different kinds. Cause this one was amazing. Anybody have any insights?

I used my new favorite glass steeper. Perfect 8oz glass mug with glass steeping insert. Pictures here:

mmmmmmmm

also…that is a really cute steeper

OMGsrsly

What Sil said! Love that steeper. :)

yyz

To answer your question yes! Current regulations have severely limited the use of pine smoke in LS so more and more of them are being produced with little to no smoke flavour and yes many of them have very strong chocolate notes. I tried one that tasted like a chocolate caramel and was buttery like an oolong. I suspect I know who sells it but I have to decide if I want to pay that much for it. On the other hand of the 2 LS I have bought recently one has sharp fruit notes over the chocolate and the other has roasted notes and is more caramel underneath than chocolate but I’m currently loving this version of LS.

yyz

From another site..Apparently “Yan Zhengshan Xiaozhong” (煙正山小種). is the smoked version.

Sounds yum!

Had afternoon tea and a BBC Pride and Prejudice marathon yesterday with a friend! So fun! We’ve seen that version of P&P a million times, but it’s still the best! I made a new scone recipe, which was delicious…raspberry, white chocolate chips and coconut buttermilk scones! We also had a variety of tea sandwiches, of which my friend’s apple pecan version was awesome! I love long weekends!!

Oh, almost forgot to say, we enjoyed Nina’s Paris’s Grand Amour, Della Terra’s Oolong Creme de la Creme, and Butiki’s Maple Pecan Oolong! Yay!

Cavocorax

That sounds awesome. I love that version.
Those teas sound pretty nice too.

Terri HarpLady

Sounds like an awesome afternoon, especially the FOOD! YUM!

ashmanra

I NEEEEEEDDDD a tin of Grand Amour! I think I am going to buy a tin for my son-in-law as a groom gift when he and my daughter get married.

Stephanie

Maple pecan oolong is da bomb

Tealizzy

Ya, it was pretty great. When the husband’s away, it’s great to have a girls day!!

ashmanra – you should totally go for it! Make sure you get some for yourself!!

Chelle

I was watching it too! Love it. I had a pot of Madam Blueberry from a local tea blender. Yum!

Tealizzy