Random Steepings

Tea
Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Flowers, Roasted, Creamy, Custard, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Apricot, Caramel, Grass, Jam, Astringent, Blueberry, Chestnut, Malt, Nutty, Sweet, Almond, Cookie, Fruity, Mango, Tart, Honey, Yams, Earth, Rose, Butter, Pastries, Salt, Ginger, Hay, Wood, Coffee, Cream, Chocolate, Spicy, Stonefruits, Hazelnut, Smoke, Burnt Sugar, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3002 tasting notes
  • “pssst....i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5047 tasting notes
  • “So Ceylon Star asked what kind of tea to mix up on facebook, and I immediately went into the kitchen and threw this desserty concoction together: 1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea 1/2 tsp...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1496 tasting notes
  • “Since I'm in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn't properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

1962 tasting notes

So my day started off kind of shitty. I woke up and had to tidy the apartment since someone said they wanted to come see it. They were supposed to arrive at 3 and at 4:30, when they still hadn’t showed, I messaged them to find out they forgot. So now they are coming tomorrow…provided they remember. It just sucks because I stayed in all day waiting for them.

Anyways, after realizing they were not coming, my roommate and I decided to go out. Our plan was to go eat dinner and then see Captain America. After grabbing our tickets, we headed over to a bubble tea place for dinner. It was nice because it was the first time in a long time where the two of us just hung out, as opposed to us staying shut in our rooms 24/7. Plus, I got to have some delicious tea:

First, I had a Fresh Taro Milk Tea with bubbles, which was delicious. Yummy latte, fresh taro, and bubbles…can’t ask for anything more :). Then, since we had time to kill before the movie, we went to a Korean supermarket and bought both Barley tea and Buckwheat tea to see how they compare to my beloved Soba Cha. And then, we hit up DAVIDs to redeem my free cup of tea for signing up with their frequent steeper club. I got Gold Rush because I figured that is expensive so it was a good tea to get for free :P. Unfortunately, it wasn’t as good as it normally is since it seemed weak but it was free so I wasn’t too upset. Also, once I was at DAVIDs, I ended up buying a couple of samples and 100g of Birthday Cake because I have a problem.

Anyways, right now I am sipping away at the Barley tea we bought and though I think I prefer Soba Cha, this is a close comparison for those who can’t easily get a hold of Harney and Son teas. I would say the only difference is this is more like wheat/grains while Soba is reminiscent of a hot cereal. Both are good though :)

Oh and Captain America was quite great in case anyone was wondering.

Hello.Kiki

I think we all have that “one” tea that we just can’t resist…

sundaysipping

Taro milk tea is amazing!

Cavocorax

Captain American!!! I’m tempted to bundle our toddler off and go check it out but… but… she’snot ready for a full-length movie.

Tealizzy

Sounds like an awesome evening! A bubble tea place just opened near us and we’re obsessed! I’ll have to try taro milk tea sometime!

Jennkay

boba? barley tea? Captain America? Sounds like my kind of night! :)

Harney & Sons – Soba Tea, Roasted Buckwheat
vs
Yunnan Sourcing – Himalayan Black Tartary Buckwheat Roasted Tea

I adore H&S Soba Buckwheat tea. H&S is a bit expensive to ship to Canada. Was looking for another example of this tea. I’ve looked for roasted buckwheat at local health food store but haven’t been able to find any. So, when I saw something that looked similar at YS I was quite excited.
I’ve made a cup of each using the same steep parameters. 1 tsp/8oz 100C 5 min
I used Davids steeping baskets in my Noble cups, so each tea was steeped in the same vessel and I’m drinking it out of the same cup.

Dry – the H&S nuggets are a little smaller and a little darker in color than the YS version.
Dry smell – really they both don’t smell like anything.
Steeped – Again the H&S is slightly darker in color.
Smell – the H&S smells more toasted, the YS is similar but not as strong.

H&S is for sure more toasty/roasted. The YS is sweeter and more grainy. I’m not sure I’m going to be able to articulate how I feel about this. I like them both – if I weren’t drinking them side by side, I’m not sure I would think there is much difference. But I am drinking them side by side. H&S is more flavorful – I think it’s more fun, like a kids cereal. YS is more subtle and more natural – it’s more adult.
I think the YS version would benefit from a longer steep time – I think the bigger nuggets need a bit longer steep time.
All and all I am really happy with my YS purchase, I am going to be perfectly happy drinking this, and considering how cheap it is – that’s just a bonus. Do I like H&S better? yes I do, but only marginally better. I’m not sure what I rated H&S – but right now I’m thinking H&S 95 – YS 92.

Both these teas make me happy.

TheTeaFairy

Awww, thanks for doing this dexter…I will now purchase in confidence the day I finally order from YS! I just can’t live without soba cha :-)

Cameron B.

I love my noble cups! :)

yyz

Glad that you enjoyed them!

MzPriss

I’m so glad you did this. I wondered myself. I just ordered some of the H&S (because I needed TINZ) and then I saw the Teavivre one. Thanks Dex

MzPriss

Oooops, I mean YS, I was thinking about the Golden Monkey I just recently compared. But yes, I ordered the H&S soba and I’m looking forward to it. And I’m afraid YS might become a new addiction

boychik

Thank you Dexter. I love side by side reviews. I like that you made it in the same vessels. I see YS addiction in a near future, haha

Awesome!

Cavocorax

Oh, that’s good to know! I like Soba Cha, but don’t have any plans to order from H&S. Alternatives are always nice. Thanks!

Ubacat

I saw the buckwheat tea on YS website last time I ordered but having a bad experience with some local buckwheat tea at the Korean/Japanese market , I was very reluctant. Thanks for testing them. Next time I order from them I’ll be sure to add some buckwheat tea.

1989 tasting notes

Sipdown, 146. Here’s a true mystery tea… a gold-foil packet of black tea from China from Sil. At least I know approximately what it is! It looks and smells fairly similar to the Tan Yang I brought back from China myself, though with a few less golden tips.

Interestingly, this one smells more chocolatey than I would have imagined, close to Laoshan Black. Definite toasted grain notes, but no honey or caramel. It’s a little more charcoaly than I would prefer, but overall pretty good. I think I steeped it a little strong, which may be contributing to that sensation. Still, an enjoyable cup for the afternoon.

i had a bit of ‘little litchee raspberry’ from yyz and an assam from MissB, no time and deadlines everywhere i look. chucked them together and wunderbar! back to the grind.

bye!

TheTeaFairy

Have fun! We miss you though ;-)

miss you too! =0)

There you are!

JustJames

last semester was like a high school dance…. lol.

Aww, I’m sorry. :(

JustJames

it’s going to be great… somehow i managed to impart to the NGO that i’m working for that i really know what i’m doing (? how did i do that again?!!!) and now i find myself with a surprising (did i say intimidating? i meant to say intimidating) amount of responsibility. =0\

OMGsrsly

You can do it, James! You have a bunch of tea loving cheerleaders on here. :)

JustJames

i am channeling yoda: do or do not…. there is no try.

TheTeaFairy

To help you cope, let me know if you want some tea from my cupboard, it’s finally all up to date! No swap, just a one way trip to BC, you obviously don’t have time to waste right now on anything else :-0

JustJames

you are so nice to me… =0)

TheTeaFairy

For real, don’t be shy, just let me know whenever :-) At 258, my cupboard will thank you!!!

JustJames

hmmm… i might! lol. ;0) (who doesn’t love tea parcels!!!)

Hahaha. Why isyourcupboard so high tea fairy :)

TheTeaFairy

My dear sweet/evil friend Sil, first, you inspire me to «clean» my cupboard, then, you send close to 30 samples my way!!! Awww, you are so sweet my darling :-)

giggling that’s what friends are for!

Gunpowder & Mate by Teapots & Treasures

Not the best morning. Bit stressed out, all the little things. Woke up from a creepy-ass nightmare a bit before 6 AM and never went back to sleep. Need the good stuff.

This green taste is cleansing and refreshing this morning. Already starting to feel a bit better. I never thought this would be a staple, but apparently it’s about to be.

Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box

I’m being lazy and not creating a new tea page for The TeaCupany Green Mandarin Orange. I brewed just over 1tsp in a 12oz mug, 175 degrees for 3 minutes which is pretty close to the instructions.

It’s not bad. Green tea is one of the few types that I can easily drink unsweetened (prepared correctly that is), but with that being said, none of the flavors really pop when I do that. I faintly taste lemon and maybe a little orange, but it’s an afterthought, not the main event. I bet I would taste more fruit if I sweetened it, but given that this is one of the few types of teas I can do without, I’ll sip the rest of the cup as is.

0 OZ / 0 ML

I had my morning cup of Irish Cream Breakfast, but I didn’t write a note for it. I didn’t bring tea to school today, so now I’ve arrived home and I’m making a resteep of Japon with 1/2 tsp. of Cacao for a little extra oomph.

My stepdad called me today to invite my to Jamaica from March 28-April 3! I was so excited, then it hit me I present my conservation poster to the department March 28. And I have a psychology presentation April 3. Of course. I plan on speaking with both profs tomorrow to see if I can’t present a day or two early. What do you guys think?

Lala

Certainly worth talking to them about it? You wouldn’t want to ask and miss out on the vaca when you could have potentially gone.

Courtney

That’s what I figured too Lala. I feel like if I ask to present early rather than late it won’t look like I’m just trying to get an extension. I don’t think the department presentation will go over, but it won’t hurt to ask.

Suziqzer

Maybe you can arrange flights so you can still go, just different flights. ? I’d hate to miss a trip like that if there was a chance you could make it work

Courtney

I asked my parents that but it’s a coordinated group vacation thing. In fact, they’re even flying me home to fly out from there versus the city I’m in, because apparently that’s how it has to work.

__Morgana__

I don’t think anyone would fault you for wanting to present early if it’s possible to do so. If the March 28 one can’t be pushed up maybe you could meet them down there? I know you said it’s a coordinated thing so it might cost more to do that but it sounds like it might be worth the additional cost (within reason) to get to go as family thing.

Courtney

If I can even have the April 3 one moved, I would absolutely do that Morgana. I have a feeling that’s what will happen. My mom said it would be difficult, but I think we can all pull a few strings. :P

Courtney

It’s all I can focus on tonight, rather than what I should be doing haha!

caile

Hopefully you can work it all out – a trip to Jamaica would be fantastic!

OMGsrsly

Fingers crossed! That sounds like an amazing opportunity.

Terri HarpLady

I went to Jamaica once. Somewhere around here there is a pic of me with my entire head done in tiny braids. I left it in for the rest of the cruise.

Courtney

That’s awesome Terri! When we went to Dominican I had my whole head done in wee braids. With beads haha.

Terri HarpLady

yup, I had the beads too! It was great! I didn’t have to detangle my hair for almost a week, but then the rude awakening happened when it was time to take out the braids…my hair is very long…it took a very long time…

Stephanie

Oh man, beach vacation! That will be a blast!!!

Fjellrev

I really hope they would let you work around this! It’s so annoying to miss a vacation because of school. Ultimately, life’s too short.

So my tea of the morning was an interesting blend from ashleyef. It is part Butiki strawberry oolong, part David’s banana oolong, and part David’s vanilla orchid. I love oolongs. I was originally interested in a different oolong from her and have been dying to try vanilla orchid so she suggest this blend she combined. I have to say…it smells lovely. And the leaves are beautiful. I loved watching this steep. As it cools it gets better. The different oolong bases are amazing. Indescribable. You can taste the after notes of banana and the creaminess of the vanilla. There are slight floral notes from the orchid. The tart yet sweetness you usually find in a strawberry come at the very end. I have to say… BRAVO ashleyef good blend. I would have never guessed to put them all together. And thank you for sending me an exceptionally large amount of it:) I hope to share it with stephanie and others soon!

ashleyelizabeth

You’re welcome! I’m glad someone else could enjoy it. I only put them all together because none of them worked for me on their own, but they definitely work well together:)

BrewTEAlly Sweet

They definitely did surprisingly!

Stephanie

Wow interesting!

BrewTEAlly Sweet

I’ll have to send u some!

yappychappy

Butiki strawberry oolong was disappointing to me :\ Thanks for the idea on making use of it!

JustJames

yeah, have to agree with yappaychappy….. i have these insanely high expectations of our Ms Lim, so when she’s merely ‘really good’ (by comparison to others) i find myself let down.

So I had a burrito this afternoon and poured some queso over it. Then out of boredom I kind of ate all the queso and chips – I’ve been very very bad. I need puerh (and self control). I took a scoop of Nannoushan puerh, I think it was $6/8oz so you know it was good ;P I added 1/4 tsp of cocoa nibs and a half spoon of Teaves rose black tea. The rose is too heavy in this. It needs to be at least cut in half. I can smell the puerh but it is over powered. Good idea – poor execution.

Drinking an iced jasmine tea that my roommate made :)
First time drinking jasmine iced and I actually really like it!

Dude. So I dont love my roommates, as much as my previous ones, but like my two of my roommates now DRINK LOOSE LEAF. THEY REFUSE TO DRINK BAGGED TEA AND IT’S GREAT. I obviously trump them on like… the tea craziness scale, but I’m just happy that I live with people who appreciate loose leaf :)

mj

Actually the first jasmine tea I ever had was iced and I had it that way for years before ever trying it hot

jump62359

Jasmine is the first tea I’ve ever fallen in love will, since waaaay back in 4th grade! Now I’m in college and I just had it iced.
I should really try my teas both iced and hot from now on :)

mj

That sounds like double the tea to me…excellent :-).

Cheri

I cold brew jasmine quite a bit. It’s really nice that way.

Arshness

I feel you. My wife and sister both drink loose leaf with me and I have four friends who come over regularly who appreciate it too and it makes me SO HAPPY. Why do we love sharing our tea? It just makes happies in me to have people appreciate something I love so much.