Random Steepings

Tea
Roasted, Sweet, Tobacco, Cucumber, Nuts, Pumpkin, Baked Bread, Malt, Grapes, Citrus, Peppermint, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Flowers, Creamy, Custard, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Apricot, Caramel, Grass, Jam, Astringent, Blueberry, Chestnut, Nutty, Almond, Cookie, Fruity, Mango, Tart, Jasmine, Plums, Honey, Yams, Earth, Rose, Butter, Pastries, Salt, Ginger, Hay, Wood, Coffee, Cream, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Chocolate, Spicy, Stonefruits, Hazelnut, Smoke, Burnt Sugar, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3090 tasting notes
  • “pssst....i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5566 tasting notes
  • “So Ceylon Star asked what kind of tea to mix up on facebook, and I immediately went into the kitchen and threw this desserty concoction together: 1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea 1/2 tsp...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1686 tasting notes
  • “Since I'm in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn't properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Norbu Hong Mao Feng black tea w/roasted mate. 3:2. It’s not bad.

Happy Holidays with Lots of TEA!!!

boychik

Happy Holidays to you too !

Thanks!! :)

mrmopar

You as well!

Thanks!!

Stephanie

Have a good one!

MzPriss

Happy holidays to you too

Thanks everybody!!

drinking a mix of david’s teas mother’s little helper with sweet dreams with some rooibos in there for good measure.

almost what i need it to be. SO CLOSE. i think it’s missing licorice root.

Well, I found this amazing little café in one of the buildings on campus. It’s about 2/3 of the way between two of my classes on Friday, so I know where I’ll be going every week. Their tea is great, too (loose leaf? on my campus?!). Sadly, I have no idea what brand it is. The shop itself is an offshoot of Lavazza but their tea looks nothing like what I had. What a mystery! Maybe I’ll ask if I ever catch them at a slow time.

On to the tea: this jasmine green is really good in a subtle way. The jasmine flavor sneaks up on you. It’s a little bit fruity at first, then sweet, with a beautiful floral aftertaste. The green flavor is a steadying presence in the background but never overwhelms; the whole cup is subtle. Utterly delicious (and even better with a lemon bear claw)!

Nicole

lemon bear claw… drool

MissB

Interesting. There are Lavazza’s in Europe (I just saw one last night in Belgium), and I noticed each one is a bit different. Maybe the suppliers change based on location?

Houjicha of the Autumn Moon
Home-roasted houjicha from Obubu Tea Farms Sencha of the Autumn Moon

This is my second time turning some of my Obubu green tea into houjicha. This one was particularly tantalizing, as it smelled like pumpkins as I was roasting it. It smelled sweet, a bit like yams, and even more like the smell of a freshly carved jack-o-lantern when you’ve got a lit candle in it, perhaps a bit sweeter. I’ve always picked up a pumpkin note in this tea, and roasting it brought it out in the scent even more. It’s great. Definitely autumn, without belonging to the generic “pumpkin spice” persuasion.

The scent of the brewed tea is very caramely and sweet, with a hint of roasty char and cigar tobacco. The taste is mellow and mostly reminds me of cigar tobacco, mildly sweet. It’s really comforting. I tiny hint of the pumpkin taste comes through in the finish.

The second infusion tastes a little more green, with a pistachio like taste and a hint of cucumber, and it has a sweeter lingering aftertaste. I could swim in this cup. It’s so delicious.

The best two houjicha I’ve had now have been the ones I roasted at home from Obubu’s green tea. I may just end up doing that from now on. I’m not sure if houjicha is just better when freshly roasted, or if I’m just using teas that are more to my liking for this type of flavor. Either way, Obubu sells their teas at greatly reduced prices when they aren’t in season, so I’ll be picking up some of these to roast with my next order from their website. Order from them direct. So many people I know order Obubu’s tea from Yunomi, and pay the huge markup that comes with it. I’m not sure why.

Flavors: Cucumber, Nuts, Pumpkin, Roasted, Tobacco

Tonight I am drinking a caffeine free tea purely for the benefit of my stomach, peppermint tea. A lot of people don’t realize this, but a strong cup of peppermint tea, as long as it is high in peppermint oils, is excellent for certain gastrointestinal problems. Tastes pretty potent though, not one I drink for the taste. You have to brew it really strong to benefit your stomach.

I brewed this once in a 14oz mug with 5 tsp leaf and boiling water for 8 min.

Flavors: Peppermint

Boiling 8 min or more 5 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML
Ubacat

I enjoy peppermint tea in the morning sometimes when I think I’ve already had too much caffeine. It’s also a good tea to enjoy in restaurants since they can’t mess it up.

AllanK

While I agree that a restaurant probably wouldn’t mess this up I don’t agree that it can’t be messed up. Simply because I always mess it up intentionally. I brew it roughly twice as strong as you would if drinking this for taste. It comes out bitter and somewhat unpleasant but it works.

Ubacat

That’s good it works for you. I’ve never brewed it quite that long. I didn’t know it got bitter.

gmathis

Yup. We use peppermint medicinally for a number of diseases and discomforts.

AllanK

Not horribly bitter but a little, of course I also use twice the recommended amount of leaf.

1 more steeping left of my no-name assam (I’m sure it had a name but I lost it) then I can replace it with a new assam. This one is rather flat only a little malt note in the front if I add condensed milk. I prefer a really strongly malty assam so next time I’ll be looking for the malt. This one does the trick of clearing the fog and waking me up. Steepster ate a lot of my notes lately, lets see if this rather inane one “sticks”

Blou (black/shou) combos of the day:

- 2014 Verdant Zhu Rong and Tangerine Shou (shou aged in a little tangerine): Super good. This had a refreshing, cooling, citrusy feel. It would actually be a nice springy tea. Perfect for when everything around is waking up!

- 2013 Mandala Temple Stairs and WP Ailaoshan Black: Deeeelish! Another good combo. :)

MzPriss

Woo! I’m also enjoying a cup of the Temple Stairs/Ailaoshan combo – it’s excellent!!!

I mixed Zhena’s Chocolate Chai and Republic of Tea’s Good Hope Vanilla and drank it iced.

These are two high-quality rooibos teas that mix quite well together. It tasted like earthy- spicy dessert. I would do it again, except that I like the vanilla rooibos better by itself.

This is quite possibly my first “Random Steepings” entry. Tada! The beau and I had Chinese food “in town” tonight and I was curious about the tea. The waitress said there was a loose leaf oolong and we asked for a pot of that. It came loose but was brewing up really dark so we investigated. Turned out, this is definitely shu puerh. She had no more info about it but we told her a bit about puerh and how she might like to brew it if she wants to try it again. It was actually really nice and held up to Western steeping really well. This encouraged me to try more of our pu Western style. Yay!

Also excuse the (many?) Typos. I’m on my phone and Steepster won’t let me see what I am typing so I am just hoping it turns out legible…now it’s letting me. Grr. That was pretty bad. I think I got most of them.

Cheri

Isn’t that frustrating, that on the phone the text entry field doesn’t like to show everything?!