Random Steepings

Tea
Chocolate, Malt, Sweet, Vanilla, Camphor, Forest Floor, Fruity, Smoke, Dust, Smooth, Wood, Cinnamon, Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Creamy, Hibiscus, Tart, Wet Rocks, Astringent, Medicinal, Grass, Nutty, Seaweed, Herbs, Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Bitter, Green, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Herbaceous, Tannin, Almond, Caramel, Honey, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Pineapple, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Sugar, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Honeysuckle, Marshmallow, Tea, Floral, Perfume, Red Apple, Rose, Earth, Ocean Air, Ocean Breeze, Peat Moss, Sand, Wet Earth, Toasty, Hay, Hot hay, Lemon, Narcissus, Vegetal, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Cream, Stonefruits, Thick, Peppercorn, Spicy, Butter, Apricot, Dried Fruit, Plums, Sugarcane, Ginger, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Orchid, Berry, Pumpkin, Drying, Sour, Mud, Berries, Metallic, Mushrooms, Orange, Autumn Leaf Pile, Peanut, Roasted nuts, Muscatel, Pepper, Raisins, Nuts, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Citrus, Cookie, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Apple, Burnt Sugar, Wet wood, Lychee, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Mango, Vegetables, Yams, Pastries, Salt, Decayed wood, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Strawberry, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Norbu Hong Mao Feng black tea w/roasted mate. 3:2. It’s not bad.

Happy Holidays with Lots of TEA!!!

boychik

Happy Holidays to you too !

Thanks!! :)

mrmopar

You as well!

Thanks!!

Stephanie

Have a good one!

Myssy

Happy holidays to you too

Thanks everybody!!

drinking a mix of david’s teas mother’s little helper with sweet dreams with some rooibos in there for good measure.

almost what i need it to be. SO CLOSE. i think it’s missing licorice root.

This was the “hush hush” tea from Curated Puerh Box 0004 so I’m not going to list it. I’ll just say it was a Taiwan stored 2006 sheng. I did 7g of this in a 100ml gaiwan on Saturday, and I was so not ready for the wonderful experience it was about to pull me into. I drink tea on homework day to keep me fueled, but this kept trying to claim my entire focus!

These tea leaves have a very slightly smoky aroma that I found very comforting. The liquor steeped out to an amber color and was thick, viscous and mouth-coating from the very first steep. The flavor had a light smokiness to it up front, along with a bit of camphor and light fruitiness that gradually pushed its way in.

The thing about this tea that really draw my attention was its depth. Something about it pulled me in, and I didn’t want to make it let me go. As I continued with the session, a bit of fluffy airiness developed in the texture, bringing with it a nice sweetness, both up front and in the form of huigan.

After several steeps over a few hours, the leaves had a warm, comforting, foresty aroma. I steeped them a few more times the next day to enjoy that a little while longer. Fantastic all around!

Flavors: Camphor, Forest Floor, Fruity, Smoke, Sweet

Boiling 7 g

Tea: some 2011 Dayi shu puer that was sent to me, unlabeled
Prep: 60cc gaiwan, 4gish? boiling water, quick steeps
Sessions with this tea: 1

Taste: Very mild fermentation notes. Light leather and vanilla. Doesn’t evolve much across steepings. Later steepings bring in a kind of “pulpwood/paper” taste, which yes I am familiar with from chewing paper in grade school. Don’t ask.

Body: A lot less thick than what I expected. Fairly moderate thickness, the earthy feeling lingers a bit, and I feel strength in my jaw and upper neck. Get a bit of heaviness in the stomach also, not pleasant.

Not usually a huge shu fan, and this was sent to me by a friend to try something different. Is definitely on the lightweight side. Would have to ask to find out what this is, but I don’t care much to ask.

kuding cha from LP’s mystery buy.

having this a second time; i still like it. probably going to have to order more. i’ve been using 2 “nails” : 80ml, gongfu style. last time i did it more bowl style. both are good. definitely bitter, with a sweetness. idk, i like it, but i can see how it would be polarizing. :P definitely something to be in the mood for.

I’m trying out this tuo that matu sent me—“I didn’t like it, so now it’s your problem!” It’s a “2013 Menghai (region, not factory) raw I randomly bought on eBay.”

Dry leaf has no strong smell—I’m picking up a bit of menthol or mint lifesavers or something but that might be my nose playing tricks on me. Nice and easy to pick apart, not too dense. My crappy oyster knife did just fine.

Rinse: lid smell is pretty much neutral green tea. Soup is more amber than yellow. 1st steep (5s): lid smell is underspiced pot roast. Taste is astringent and chalky, I can barely taste through the bitterness. Dumped this steep after a few sips. 2nd steep (5s): lid smell is composting dried autumn leaves. Even though the water temp fell to ~203 for this steep it is far too astringent. The aftertaste isn’t very pleasant but it is going deep which is nice. I’m getting little teases of fruit but I can’t pin it down. Also dumped most of this steep. 3rd steep (7-8s, 195F): lid smell is a children’s playground wood chip bedding after rain and a couple kids peed their pants. I’m really smelling urine deep in the background. A little bit less bitter, not sure if it’s the water temp or it’s just chilling out. Tasting orange pith. Astringency is still there and not feeling great. 4th steep (12s, reboiled): Still getting a little bit of urine smell but mostly just wet earth/wood/grass. God, why am I still drinking this? My mouth is so dry. Bitterness is manageable at this point but it is still so astringent. Getting some cigarette ash notes.

I might do as Matu suggested and use this as pick practice.

Boiling 10 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
mrmopar

Tuition tea. We have all bought them one time or another.

Had the ball from the pubertea group buy today. I can’t remember if that was a “surprise” from LP or if I just can’t remember what the mterial there was. Either way, I enjoyed this one a lot. This was probably my favorite tea from that buy so far. No idea what the material here was or quality, but i thought this was great. The ball took a good three steps before it really opened up at all, but steeps 4-7 were fantastic. This had a sweater than the YQH and EOT stuff and was very easy to chug cup after cup. It didn’t last horribly long, and got to pretty mellow steeps a bit earlier than I would have liked for how good the mid stages were, but I also hit the first couple rinses/steeps fairly hard to get the ball opened up.
Also, this ball had enormous in tact leaves in it for being a rolled ball. Yeah there was chopped up stuff here and there, but several huge stems with two leaves and a bud each. That alone tells me this was much nicer than your average chopped up factory scraps used for many pu balls.

Liquid Proust

2003 Bulang. Privately bought, privately stored. There wasn’t enough for me to have one so I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Alex_fred

Well thanks! Not having any expectations or ideas going in and enjoying the tea that much was a great experience! As all the teas from the group buy werre. I appreciate it!

So, my health-seeking/improving journey continues. Saw a naturopath for the first time the other day who suggested, among other things, that I include coconut oil in my nutrition plan. Yeah, I am continuing the One Night in Rio and Brazilian Fruit, as in previous post, now with the addition of a bit of coconut oil. A bit odd, but it works.

Mookit

Does it make the tea texture oily at all?

Evol Ving Ness

Yes, it creates a coconut-flavoured oil slick on the surface. Odd, yes, but fine once you get used to it. You see, I have a daily quota to uphold. It may as well be in coconut pineapple and tropical fruit tea until I can find a better way to ingest it.

Evol Ving Ness

Also, the oiliness is a bit different from other oils, a bit less slick-like.

Today’s random steeping is a Jasmine green from China. The maker is called Xuan En Yulu. The jasmine flavour is pronounced, pleasing, and filling. The tea brews up a serious yellow colour. I had it prepared in store in a tea pot.