Random Steepings

Tea
Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Chocolate, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Creamy, Hibiscus, Vanilla, Fruity, Tart, Wet Rocks, Astringent, Medicinal, Smoke, Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Wood, Bitter, Green, Seaweed, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Grass, Herbaceous, Sweet, Tannin, Almond, Caramel, Honey, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Pineapple, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Sugar, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Herbs, Dust, Vegetal, Cinnamon, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Floral, Peppercorn, Spicy, Camphor, Thick, Hay, Butter, Nutty, Ginger, Smooth, Cream, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Apricot, Orchid, Berry, Pumpkin, Earth, Forest Floor, Mud, Muscatel, Dried Fruit, Pepper, Raisins, Nuts, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Malt, Citrus, Cookie, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Apple, Burnt Sugar, Wet wood, Lychee, Autumn Leaf Pile, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Mango, Plums, Vegetables, Yams, Rose, Pastries, Salt, Decayed wood, Coffee, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Strawberry, Stonefruits, Lemon, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Norbu Hong Mao Feng black tea w/roasted mate. 3:2. It’s not bad.

Happy Holidays with Lots of TEA!!!

boychik

Happy Holidays to you too !

Thanks!! :)

mrmopar

You as well!

Thanks!!

Stephanie

Have a good one!

MzPriss

Happy holidays to you too

Thanks everybody!!

drinking a mix of david’s teas mother’s little helper with sweet dreams with some rooibos in there for good measure.

almost what i need it to be. SO CLOSE. i think it’s missing licorice root.

I’m drinking the 2016 Monkey Memorial raw puerh tea that Andrew gave me a while back (Thanks, Andrew!). It is pretty tasty. Notes of hay, greens, bitterness, and stonefruits.

Liquid Proust’s magical sampler mystery teas 1 and 2. (“2004 raw” and “something-or-other mystery Chinese name”).

It’s very helpful to get a good selection of sheng pu-erhs as I’ve had very few, and most of them what I’d refer to as liver-stripping death teas. Haha, to be honest, I hadn’t even thought these would be sheng pu, I had simply assumed shu as that is what I think of when I think pu-erh. Here’s to trying something new.

The two samples I had today I had a few steeps of before giving up. Both had the same odd salty savouriness, almost like I’d used veggie stock or diluted sea water to brew them in.

I was given tea so I’ll drink it all even if it kills me.

(the reccomendation is a yes, if you are offered free samplers then why not?!)

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Fujian Shou Mei White Tea Ball from What-Cha

I received this as a mystery white tea. The tea comes in individually wrapped balls. I’m not very familiar with white and definitely not ones that come compressed into balls! The instructions recommend 1 ball/cup of 90C water for 1-2min. However, I wanted to try my new tiny 120mL teapot so I dropped used one ball, 90C, 30s, adding 10s each re-steep.

The wet leaves smell quite medicinal – reminds me of chinese medicine! Fortunately, the brew tasted a lot better. It tastes quite mellow and relaxing. There’s a hint of honey, nuts, and a slight astringency. Unfortunately, I didn’t get much fruitiness that was advertised on the package. However, this was quite a yummy tea!

Unidentified Dr. Tea from Gray Line Bus Tours

I’m guessing this little paper pot is rather old, because when I stick my nose in there to smell the dry leaf, I get practically nothing.

Got this in a strange swap, and I was expecting it to be the crap of crap. I was pleasantly surprised. There were some chocolate notes in there, as well as that tangy, leathery shou flavor.

The brew was smooth, with no astringency or bitterness. I might, however, have gotten a slight headache from it.

Flavors: Chocolate, Leather, Tangy, Tannic

Whispering Pines is recalibrating its Black Bear mix. The new mix isn’t in the system.

I got a preview sample from mtchyg, who is a fancy person IN THE KNOW.

Without a listing, I have no idea what is in this.

This is a very dark, strong mix. It’s butch as hell. It smells like tobacco and leather, and tastes like beef jerky and/or bacon. Some kind of meat, probably smoked. Did an animal die to make this?

I feel like I’m going to grow chest hair from this.

If you’ll excuse me, there are log cabins I need to construct, black bears to ride, and wild boars I have to tame.

Flavors: Char, Leather, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco

Mookit

Sounds like Lapsang Souchong!

mtchyg

It is a Lapsang Souchong. A fairly delicate one but it is there. I’m guessing you brewed it at either a higher temp, longer time, or both than I did. My experience with it has been mildly smokey with a berry under note. Do you have enough for a second brew? Try it at 200 F for 2.5 minutes or so.

Also, I love this review. Mainly because these are the things I did after I drank it! (But seriously though, I was chopping wood while drinking it)

mtchyg

Also because, I AM a fancy person in the know.

Super Starling!

I’ll try the shorter steep time. I totally over-steep EVERYTHING. Mostly because I get distracted. :|

It’s been beastly hot these last few days.
I had some concentrated hibiscus already brewed and decided to put it with some sparkling club soda, vanilla bean ice cream and a splash of lavender Torani for sweetner.
A float.
Spectacular!
Can’t wait to do it again.

Flavors: Creamy, Hibiscus, Vanilla

A contender from the mystery group buy, all it says is “A piece of the 200g Iceland sheng ball from Aliexpress.” Hm. Mysterious. Smells like strong sheng, why not give it a whirl?

Wasn’t sure of the age, so let’s go light on the water temp, about intense oolong temp, fast bubbles coming up in the pot (too lazy to take exact temp today). Hm, starts of kind of not doing much, although quite a mouth drying feel to it for not much flavor for the first two steeps. Gaiwan smells very camphorated and unpleasantly medicinal. Hm.

And then things took a steep downturn. WTF, even more astringent and the tea smells kinda… smokey and…. tobacco-y. But not in the good way. The gaiwan smells EXACTLY like an ashtray. EW. As the tea cools, it tastes less like cigarette butts and more like gross medicine with a burnt tobacco aroma and gross smoker’s breath on the aftertaste. Dumped it out after this, couldn’t keep going, need to wash out mouth with bleach, ASDFLKJASDLKFJASL,

Flavors: Astringent, Leather, Medicinal, Smoke, Tobacco

Liquid Proust

Well thankfully your portion was like 70cents :)
Owl liked it https://www.instagram.com/p/BEhCERbxYCE/

nishnek

Lolol, well, it kinda tasted like something I would expect if an owl with smoke induced lung cancer regurgitated it, so maybe that’s the reason, XD.

nishnek

Also, that tea owl and his little leaf hat is too adorable, :3.

Liquid Proust

He’s actually made after Totoro :)