Random Steepings

Tea
Smoke, Wood, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Creamy, Hibiscus, Vanilla, Fruity, Tart, Wet Rocks, Astringent, Medicinal, Grass, Nutty, Seaweed, Sweet, Herbs, Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Bitter, Green, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Herbaceous, Tannin, Almond, Caramel, Honey, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Pineapple, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Sugar, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Dust, Vegetal, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Cream, Stonefruits, Thick, Floral, Peppercorn, Spicy, Camphor, Hay, Butter, Apricot, Dried Fruit, Malt, Plums, Sugarcane, Ginger, Smooth, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Orchid, Berry, Pumpkin, Drying, Sour, Earth, Forest Floor, Mud, Berries, Metallic, Mushrooms, Lemon, Orange, Autumn Leaf Pile, Peanut, Roasted nuts, Muscatel, Pepper, Raisins, Nuts, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Citrus, Cookie, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Apple, Burnt Sugar, Wet wood, Lychee, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Mango, Vegetables, Yams, Rose, Pastries, Salt, Decayed wood, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Strawberry, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Norbu Hong Mao Feng black tea w/roasted mate. 3:2. It’s not bad.

Happy Holidays with Lots of TEA!!!

boychik

Happy Holidays to you too !

Thanks!! :)

mrmopar

You as well!

Thanks!!

Stephanie

Have a good one!

Myssy

Happy holidays to you too

Thanks everybody!!

drinking a mix of david’s teas mother’s little helper with sweet dreams with some rooibos in there for good measure.

almost what i need it to be. SO CLOSE. i think it’s missing licorice root.

kuding cha from LP’s mystery buy.

having this a second time; i still like it. probably going to have to order more. i’ve been using 2 “nails” : 80ml, gongfu style. last time i did it more bowl style. both are good. definitely bitter, with a sweetness. idk, i like it, but i can see how it would be polarizing. :P definitely something to be in the mood for.

I’m trying out this tuo that matu sent me—“I didn’t like it, so now it’s your problem!” It’s a “2013 Menghai (region, not factory) raw I randomly bought on eBay.”

Dry leaf has no strong smell—I’m picking up a bit of menthol or mint lifesavers or something but that might be my nose playing tricks on me. Nice and easy to pick apart, not too dense. My crappy oyster knife did just fine.

Rinse: lid smell is pretty much neutral green tea. Soup is more amber than yellow. 1st steep (5s): lid smell is underspiced pot roast. Taste is astringent and chalky, I can barely taste through the bitterness. Dumped this steep after a few sips. 2nd steep (5s): lid smell is composting dried autumn leaves. Even though the water temp fell to ~203 for this steep it is far too astringent. The aftertaste isn’t very pleasant but it is going deep which is nice. I’m getting little teases of fruit but I can’t pin it down. Also dumped most of this steep. 3rd steep (7-8s, 195F): lid smell is a children’s playground wood chip bedding after rain and a couple kids peed their pants. I’m really smelling urine deep in the background. A little bit less bitter, not sure if it’s the water temp or it’s just chilling out. Tasting orange pith. Astringency is still there and not feeling great. 4th steep (12s, reboiled): Still getting a little bit of urine smell but mostly just wet earth/wood/grass. God, why am I still drinking this? My mouth is so dry. Bitterness is manageable at this point but it is still so astringent. Getting some cigarette ash notes.

I might do as Matu suggested and use this as pick practice.

Boiling 10 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
mrmopar

Tuition tea. We have all bought them one time or another.

Enjoyed some lazers today from a friend. Unfortunately I should have taken better notes on the flavor, but a few things stand out. There were some seriously huge intact leaves in this sample. No dust, no fragments, all enormous full leaves. This was also a pretty powerful tea that kept going for many, many steeps. I didn’t count, but it had to have been at least 18-20.

So, my health-seeking/improving journey continues. Saw a naturopath for the first time the other day who suggested, among other things, that I include coconut oil in my nutrition plan. Yeah, I am continuing the One Night in Rio and Brazilian Fruit, as in previous post, now with the addition of a bit of coconut oil. A bit odd, but it works.

Mookit

Does it make the tea texture oily at all?

Evol Ving Ness

Yes, it creates a coconut-flavoured oil slick on the surface. Odd, yes, but fine once you get used to it. You see, I have a daily quota to uphold. It may as well be in coconut pineapple and tropical fruit tea until I can find a better way to ingest it.

Evol Ving Ness

Also, the oiliness is a bit different from other oils, a bit less slick-like.

Today’s random steeping is a Jasmine green from China. The maker is called Xuan En Yulu. The jasmine flavour is pronounced, pleasing, and filling. The tea brews up a serious yellow colour. I had it prepared in store in a tea pot.

Thanks for this one, Andrew! I’m drinking the Birthday Roasted Oolong at the moment. It’s pretty tasty.

It’s like a cup of liquid pecan. Definitely mild, but in a good way.

Liquid Proust’s magical sampler mystery teas 1 and 2. (“2004 raw” and “something-or-other mystery Chinese name”).

It’s very helpful to get a good selection of sheng pu-erhs as I’ve had very few, and most of them what I’d refer to as liver-stripping death teas. Haha, to be honest, I hadn’t even thought these would be sheng pu, I had simply assumed shu as that is what I think of when I think pu-erh. Here’s to trying something new.

The two samples I had today I had a few steeps of before giving up. Both had the same odd salty savouriness, almost like I’d used veggie stock or diluted sea water to brew them in.

I was given tea so I’ll drink it all even if it kills me.

(the reccomendation is a yes, if you are offered free samplers then why not?!)

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty