Random Steepings

Tea
Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Wood, Bitter, Green, Seaweed, Dust, Fruity, Hibiscus, Honey, Smoke, Vegetal, Cinnamon, Clove, Lavender, Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa, Pecan, Vanilla, Floral, Leather, Sugar, Tobacco, Peppercorn, Spices, Spicy, Sweet, Camphor, Thick, Creamy, Ginger, Grass, Smooth, Astringent, Cream, Menthol, Nutty, Hazelnut, Milk, Roasted, Berry, Pumpkin, Apricot, Muscatel, Dried Fruit, Pepper, Raisins, Nuts, Butter, Earth, Herbaceous, Taro Root, Brandy, Hay, Powdered sugar, Malt, Almond, Citrus, Cookie, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Apple, Burnt Sugar, Cherry, Wet wood, Lychee, Autumn Leaf Pile, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Blueberry, Chestnut, Mango, Tart, Plums, Vegetables, Yams, Rose, Pastries, Salt, Coffee, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Toasted Rice, Strawberry, Stonefruits, Lemon, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Norbu Hong Mao Feng black tea w/roasted mate. 3:2. It’s not bad.

Happy Holidays with Lots of TEA!!!

boychik

Happy Holidays to you too !

Thanks!! :)

mrmopar

You as well!

Thanks!!

Stephanie

Have a good one!

MzPriss

Happy holidays to you too

Thanks everybody!!

drinking a mix of david’s teas mother’s little helper with sweet dreams with some rooibos in there for good measure.

almost what i need it to be. SO CLOSE. i think it’s missing licorice root.

Monday – Green Tea / Day 2 of Lion’s Tea Challenge

80 mL water + 25 mL hot milk + 1/2 tsp matcha power (writing is in Japanese, I don’t know they brand)

Ick! I forgot I do not like matcha by itself. Maybe I have not had a good matcha, because I like matcha icecream and frappachinos. Anyway. This is bitter and gross. It tastes like green tea and kelp :P Maybe I’ll use the rest to make homemade blended ice drinks, I can’t see myself drinking this again.

Flavors: Bitter, Green, Seaweed

180 °F / 82 °C 1 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

Black Tie Guan Yin, direct from Taiwan via a tea acquaintance who I am very grateful to for allowing me to acquire/purchase this incredible tea. Belgian chocolate aromatic dry leaf, sweet dried fruit and yam aromatics wet leaf, honey, spice, raisin flavor notes, subtle smokey autumn leaf finish with a touch of orange…nothing but love in this cup.

5g, 120ml @ 212F. 10s start with 5s increments for multiple infusions leading upwards to 3m.

The session: https://instagram.com/p/BFVUZcgBUqt/

Boiling 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

This is for Verdant Tea’s “Thirty Year” Tieguanyin. Probably not worth making a separate database entry for this because it likely won’t be available again. I bought some of this when I purchased their bamboo strainers, which I highly recommend, and I needed to add only a few dollars more to get free shipping. Thus I tossed this into my cart.

This tea is tough to judge because it has been heavily re-roasted recently. In fact it tasted like it was re-roasted right before I got it. Noticed some nearly char black pieces, the roasting is rather uneven. I mainly tasted the roast throughout with a slight sour note. The tea looked green once the roasting soaked off. I don’t think this is 30 year old Tieguanyin but with Verdant’s track record of misleading marketing lately I wasn’t expecting this tea to be as old as advertised.

On the plus side, it does steep quite a long time. I got 8 steeps before getting bored with the tea and it could have easily gone a few more. I don’t remember what parameters I used but I did use quite a lot of the tea.

Gooseberry Spoon

Will it go in the tin?

Cwyn

No, it is too recently roasted. Such a small amount left anyway.

So over the last week I’ve been telling myself I need a thick-walled gaiwan for brewing high-temperature teas like shou. Basically the theory is that thick-walled gaiwans retain heat better on longer steeps, making later steeps more flavorful. Anyway, I don’t have the money to buy teaware at the moment so I decided to make my own.

May I introduce you to…the double-boiler gaiwan!

Yeah, so I happen to have two of the same gaiwan cups (the lid broke on my first one), and decided to try filling the lower one with boiling-ass water and steeping the top one with equally hot water. So does it work? Yes! Not only is the gaiwan sizzling hot to the touch, but the tea inside (2011 Hui Run from Yunnan Sourcing) is much richer and more intense in later infusions. Maybe I should switch my major to engineering…

Matu

Brilliant. I’d find every way to burn the hell outta my fingers doing that though haha

JWhisk

Ha yeah, I definitely singed my fingertips a little. The goal is no fingerprints by age 30

Backlog from April 21st:

Pineapple Kona Pop / Raspberry Pineapple Luau
from Teavana

I mixed these two together this morning for something different, but it didn’t really create anything spectacular. In fact, it’s pretty tasteless. I’m sure it’s partly due to my teas being older, but it’s really just not good. There is a vague fruitiness but it mostly tastes dusty and bland. The color is a deep berry red which I’m assuming is from the hibiscus which I can also taste. Not impressed.

Flavors: Dust, Fruity, Hibiscus

Well, today I’ve finally had a moment to sit and drink tea; to contemplate my life. The last couple of weeks of college are nearly complete (4 classes left until I complete my Education major, and then can continue onward for another year, to become a certified middle-grades History/English teacher!), my wife’s car is on the verge of falling apart, we’re waiting for our caseworker to get a hold of us to set a date for the home study, and we’re eager to have our children out of the terrible foster system—and into a loving home—where Mom & Dad will give them the best that we can give them….

Okay, that was sentimental….

Anyway, I’m currently drinking my third cup of Liquid Proust’s ‘A Dark Kitchen Sink.’ As of late, I’ve been wanting to eat everything candy and/or ice cream. However, I need to resist the temptation, and just pluck from the cupboard, these types of tea that I purposely have for these stressed induced situations. Fortunately, this was in there—and what a treat! If I were to close my eyes at this moment, I could say that you’ve watered ice cream down (particularly a Turtle sundae) by a whole lot, and reduced it to a simple drink; to which I’d say,

“My, oh my, what a fine treat! Is this hot watered down ice cream?”

Then I’d hear, “No you dope, it’s simply the best damn dessert tea that you’ve ever had.”

Alright, there’s a huge nutty flavor which comes from the whole pecans within the tea. There is definitely a nice black tea flavor after the third steep that jumps out a little (from the description, I’m assuming that’s from the Golden Pu-erh needles); which gives it the sweet cocoa note. The honey gives it a nice caramel note, too. I mean, I could list the ingredients that I try, but when I go about reviewing a tea that way, I get sidetracked, and then my review turns to mush.

I will just say that this is GREAT, remarkable, extraordinary, amazing, astonishing, astounding, sensational, stunning, incredible, and unbelievable! Buy it. Try it! Drink it! It’s liquid ice cream! What could be better?

P.S. Today’s tea soundtrack comes from the Japanese instrumental rock band, MONO, “Hymn to the Immortal Wind.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbnhjsDI_ho

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa, Honey, Pecan, Vanilla

Daylon R Thomas

It’s one of the best Pu-ERh blends I’ve had. Funny enough, I’m a social studies education major…

R.F. Hill

Any particular era of history that you enjoy the most?

Liquid Proust

Oh hey, I have a MCE bacholers certified to teach SS and LA :)

R.F. Hill

Well, I guess there are plenty of us out there in the world, wanting to teach! Such interesting subjects, too.:)

Kirkoneill1988

one of the many best reviews i’ve ever seen

Daylon R Thomas

Ancient Egypt. My degree was in anthropology, but I switched ‘cause I like teaching more. I probably will pursue a Master’s or a PhD eventually, but with my type 1 diabetes, I need good insurance to cover my pump supplies.

Daylon R Thomas

I also really like teaching philosophy and psychology…which I do as a tutor in a International Baccalaureate Theory of Knowledge class.

R.F. Hill

That is awesome! I’m a big Civil War buff & 19th century literature geek. I want to pursue a Master’s in Literature and/or Counseling.

R.F. Hill

Egypt is pretty cool stuff, though. I just taught my kids about mummys the other day.

gmathis

Can’t wait to hear good news about the kiddos! They are blessed that you much about them!

R.F. Hill

@gmathis, We are preparing the house for everything. We’ve already got the bedroom ready, finally have (as of yesterday) two reliable family-sized cars, and have bought them small gifts for when they arrive! We’re so excited; it’s quite emotional for the both of us. Unfortunately, the county is behind by 5-6 weeks on home studies, so that is frustrating. Thank you for the kind words :)

gmathis

That you care so much about them! (Glad you read between the typos.) Keep us posted!

I received a mystery sample! All I know for sure about it is that it’s by Yuuki-cha. My best guess from the appearance was that it was a green tea, so I steeped accordingly. I think I guessed right. The brew is quite dark, but definitely not dark enough for a black tea. To me this tastes like hojicha, though the dry leaves didn’t look anything like the hojicha I’ve tried before. It may also be some sort of oolong I haven’t encountered before, but hojicha is my best guess.