Random Steepings

Smoke, Wood, Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Chocolate, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Creamy, Hibiscus, Vanilla, Fruity, Tart, Wet Rocks, Astringent, Medicinal, Grass, Nutty, Seaweed, Sweet, Herbs, Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Bitter, Green, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Herbaceous, Tannin, Almond, Caramel, Honey, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Pineapple, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Sugar, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Dust, Vegetal, Cinnamon, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Cream, Stonefruits, Thick, Floral, Peppercorn, Spicy, Camphor, Hay, Butter, Apricot, Dried Fruit, Malt, Plums, Sugarcane, Ginger, Smooth, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Orchid, Berry, Pumpkin, Drying, Sour, Earth, Forest Floor, Mud, Muscatel, Pepper, Raisins, Nuts, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Citrus, Cookie, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Apple, Burnt Sugar, Wet wood, Lychee, Autumn Leaf Pile, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Mango, Vegetables, Yams, Rose, Pastries, Salt, Decayed wood, Coffee, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Strawberry, Lemon, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Norbu Hong Mao Feng black tea w/roasted mate. 3:2. It’s not bad.

Happy Holidays with Lots of TEA!!!

Happy Holidays to you too !

Thanks!! :)

You as well!

Have a good one!

Happy holidays to you too

Thanks everybody!!

drinking a mix of david’s teas mother’s little helper with sweet dreams with some rooibos in there for good measure.

almost what i need it to be. SO CLOSE. i think it’s missing licorice root.

First Pubertea tasting!
I debated not putting up any thoughts on this session as it was very lackluster, and only decided to describe it here after the last couple steeps. Anyways, here’s my first crack at the aged group buy teas: the 2006 YQH QiXiang.
I steeped roughly 5 g’s in an English tea cup using a mesh basket so this was very dilute compared to normal puer preparation. For this reason the first five or six steeps were basically warm water with zero flavor even after the leaves opened up a bit. Becoming frustrated with wasting part of my sample of such a nice tea I started pushing the steeps hotter and longer trying to get notes of something. I got a few generic aged notes from steeps 6/7-11 or so before finally getting what I wanted. By this point I was to fairly long boiling steeps and finally got to know what the tea was about. Even being so dilute and well steeped this tea became a pleasant surprise. The quality material showed itself in these long, hot steeps. A pleasant mouthfeel and thickness was present coating my teeth and leaving a smooth sweetness. I could see this tea giving a good tea drunk feeling with more leaf in less water as I felt a little of this effect late into the day after 16 or so cups. This could also make the tea more interesting hopefully as from what I tasted this tea had a good texture and lingering feeling in the mouth but a very one dimensional taste.

So, my health-seeking/improving journey continues. Saw a naturopath for the first time the other day who suggested, among other things, that I include coconut oil in my nutrition plan. Yeah, I am continuing the One Night in Rio and Brazilian Fruit, as in previous post, now with the addition of a bit of coconut oil. A bit odd, but it works.

Does it make the tea texture oily at all?

Evol Ving Ness

Yes, it creates a coconut-flavoured oil slick on the surface. Odd, yes, but fine once you get used to it. You see, I have a daily quota to uphold. It may as well be in coconut pineapple and tropical fruit tea until I can find a better way to ingest it.

Evol Ving Ness

Also, the oiliness is a bit different from other oils, a bit less slick-like.

Today’s random steeping is a Jasmine green from China. The maker is called Xuan En Yulu. The jasmine flavour is pronounced, pleasing, and filling. The tea brews up a serious yellow colour. I had it prepared in store in a tea pot.

Thanks for this one, Andrew! I’m drinking the Birthday Roasted Oolong at the moment. It’s pretty tasty.

It’s like a cup of liquid pecan. Definitely mild, but in a good way.

Liquid Proust’s magical sampler mystery teas 1 and 2. (“2004 raw” and “something-or-other mystery Chinese name”).

It’s very helpful to get a good selection of sheng pu-erhs as I’ve had very few, and most of them what I’d refer to as liver-stripping death teas. Haha, to be honest, I hadn’t even thought these would be sheng pu, I had simply assumed shu as that is what I think of when I think pu-erh. Here’s to trying something new.

The two samples I had today I had a few steeps of before giving up. Both had the same odd salty savouriness, almost like I’d used veggie stock or diluted sea water to brew them in.

I was given tea so I’ll drink it all even if it kills me.

(the reccomendation is a yes, if you are offered free samplers then why not?!)

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Fujian Shou Mei White Tea Ball from What-Cha

I received this as a mystery white tea. The tea comes in individually wrapped balls. I’m not very familiar with white and definitely not ones that come compressed into balls! The instructions recommend 1 ball/cup of 90C water for 1-2min. However, I wanted to try my new tiny 120mL teapot so I dropped used one ball, 90C, 30s, adding 10s each re-steep.

The wet leaves smell quite medicinal – reminds me of chinese medicine! Fortunately, the brew tasted a lot better. It tastes quite mellow and relaxing. There’s a hint of honey, nuts, and a slight astringency. Unfortunately, I didn’t get much fruitiness that was advertised on the package. However, this was quite a yummy tea!

Unidentified Dr. Tea from Gray Line Bus Tours

I’m guessing this little paper pot is rather old, because when I stick my nose in there to smell the dry leaf, I get practically nothing.

Got this in a strange swap, and I was expecting it to be the crap of crap. I was pleasantly surprised. There were some chocolate notes in there, as well as that tangy, leathery shou flavor.

The brew was smooth, with no astringency or bitterness. I might, however, have gotten a slight headache from it.

Flavors: Chocolate, Leather, Tangy, Tannic