Random Steepings

Tea
Honey, Lemon Zest, Plants, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2475 tasting notes
  • “pssst....i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “So Ceylon Star asked what kind of tea to mix up on facebook, and I immediately went into the kitchen and threw this desserty concoction together: 1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea 1/2 tsp...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1162 tasting notes
  • “Since I'm in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn't properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Norbu Hong Mao Feng black tea w/roasted mate. 3:2. It’s not bad.

Made some of my fresh Turmeric Tisane tonight. It is a small piece of fresh turmeric (about 3/4 inch), fresh lemon, and a bit of honey steeped for 4 minutes in 170F water. Then I pour it without the turmeric pieces into one of my tea cups.

The turmeric turns the water a pretty daffodil yellow but I only sliced it. I bet if you grated it that it would turn the water even more orange like the color of the turmeric.

Fresh Turmeric has a very distinctive flavor and it is zingy to me. It is not bitter but has a sort of muted ginger flavor as they are relatives. It’s like ginger and orange and carrots sort of mixed together but even then you must taste because I don’t think anything tastes quite like it.

I love this when I am not feeling well or feeling stressed. Tonight we were in a crowded area that was sort of stressful so it was nice to relax with this homemade herbal. This is completely calming and I feel the turmeric de-stressing my head and giving me vitamins and minerals :)

Note: I get the turmeric at Whole Foods and it is very staining when working with it so don’t have any of your nice towels laying around! lol

Flavors: Honey, Lemon Zest, Plants

boychik

Thanks I will definitely try!

Lee

Cool! You will like it :)

drinking a mix of david’s teas mother’s little helper with sweet dreams with some rooibos in there for good measure.

almost what i need it to be. SO CLOSE. i think it’s missing licorice root.

I went to the coolest place for dinner today. Chefs from awesome restaurants in the area all contribute a sandwich recipe, and they are all offered at this cafe. Anyway, seeing as it is a weeknight, I decided to order the mint peach iced tea over an alcoholic beverage. It was a bit too minty for my taste, but it was a nice sweet tea. Plus, it was refreshing on this very warm evening. Just thought I’d share :)

Courtney

That sounds very cool!

This was a caramel vanilla black tea mix from Design a Tea. Nice. A bit astringent. I have to say that I had a lot of fun mixing flavors on their site, and each tea came in a cute little one serving package labeled with the flavor and type of tea. Fun stuff.

In other news, I had some surgery in February and have been restricted since then with what I could do. Today I get a final review with the surgeon and hopefully all restrictions will be lifted. I hope so, I’m itching to do some yoga or something.

Suziqzer

Hope you get some good news!

No idea where to categorize this tea or feel there’s a need to start a new tea entry on Steepster for it.

Anyways, drinking a pomelo herbal tea I found in Honolulu, just off a small shop in the mall. No labels on the tea, ti even came out “bulk bin” style. Expensiiiive! Looks like little cubes of melon, pineapple and other citrus. No apple (interestingly, herbals do like loading on apple for filler). I used 4t for a tumbler of iced tea, steeped for 8 minutes. The flavor is interesting. A little zesty and melony. Kinda grapefruity, but not like a pomelo really. It’s good, could be better.
Darn this tea was expensive, and heavy.

I made a lovely cup by blending Almond Plum Perfection (Teavana) and French Plum (Cameron’s) at a 4:1 ratio. Very tasty. The little extra plum adds quite a bit of taste. A little black but not too much, so I feel I can have this in the afternoon.

I found the best way to sip down on the teas that I have been avoiding for that reason or another – I take them to our cabin where my husband and I spend most of the year’s weekends when the weather allows.

The weather KIND OF allowed us this weekend to venture staying for one night, so I grabbed a few tins of tea that needs finishing off badly.

I managed to finish Della Terra’s Christmas Tradition ;) I am close to downing Adagio’s Chorange Pu Erh and Earl Grey Lavender. I also made a little dent in Yunomi’s Sencha of the Summer Sun and Della Terra’s Cinnamon Bun.

So, yeah, that’s how sipping down gets done – by giving myself very limited choices ;D

VariaTEA

I do that when I go to Florida. I take teas I want to sipdown and then one or two teas I really like

awesome sounding weekend!

Kat_Maria

Haha, it was pretty intense :D

sherapop

I’m thinking about following this strategy with perfume when I move: maybe putting my bottles in storage and spritzing through a bunch of samples and decants and minis until they are all gone!

Time for the side-by-side comparison of the vanilla black teas I currently have in my possession.

Up for the challenge are Bayswater Vanilla Cream, Nina’s Paris Je t’aime, and Tea Desire Velvety Vanilla.

I thought the first two would be the most similar, but smelling the dry leaf back-to-back, I’ve discovered that Bayswater’s has a smoky undertone that I never noticed before. Must be the base. But both have a vanilla caramel vibe. Je t’aime is heavier on the caramel. Velvety Vanilla, on the other hand, is like a watered down vanilla.

Of the three, Je t’aime is the smoothest. I can even detect fruity undertones whereas the other two have none of that whatsoever. Je t’aime’s base is the smoothest. Velvety Vanilla is astringent, to be expected from the Ceylon and Darjeeling, and Vanilla Cream is heavier, smokier, and thicker.

It’s amazing how you view teas in a different light when you compare them to others. Now that I’ve compared them side-by-side, I can definitely see that Nina’s reigns supreme. It’s softer, like a caramel cloud, and the base doesn’t wreak havoc on the whole flavour profile. I’m not even sure which one would get the silver medal. From memory, Vanilla Cream takes cream better, probably due to its heavier base.

So, now that I’ve cleared up that, in my opinion, Je t’aime gets the gold medal here, I guess in this case, the price really does reflect quality. But of course, remember, that isn’t always the case due to premium pricing/price-quality signaling! Still not sure I’d repurchase any of the three, as I’m still looking for a vanilla tea that is heavier on the vanilla, and closer to vanilla bean.

And as a side note, thanks again to VariaTEA for the sample of Je t’aime! It was sipped down during this experiment, and I’m so happy I was able to try it.

Courtney

I love doing comparisons. It’s so informative sometimes.

VariaTEA

I am glad you enjoyed it and had a fun time experimenting.

1 tsp Lapsang Souchong (Silk Road)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
hearty splash of homemade strawberry syrup

I’m not sure what to think of this. It’s not horrible, but it’s not exactly tasty either? The spice of the pepper flakes goes great with the smoky lapsang, and the strawberry both heightens the fire and dulls the burn (how is that even possible?!), but strawberry with smoke? It’s like bacon dipped in strawberry jam at breakfast, only not, because bacon dipped in jam is amazeballs, but lapsang with strawberry? not so much. The strawberry’s sweetness makes the smoke stick too much, which is weird because I mix lapsang and maple syrup allll the time and it doesn’t do that? Hmm.

I can easily finish this cup, but I’m not sure I’d do the combo again. red pepper + lapsang + maple? totally! strawberry’s just….odd..

VariaTEA

I’m sorry that I steered you wrong with my suggestion of strawberry syrup. You never know unless you try though so now you got to have a unique taste experience (even if it is not the most pleasant :P)

OMGsrsly

Ceylon Star, have you tried strawberry-hazelnut puerh yet? I think I need to start a list for you.

Ceylon Star

no I haven’t OMGsrsly, but it sounds pretty fabulous! haha

Ceylon Star

might need to try mixing something up when i’m done this cup (I’m too wired to sleep anyway, so caffeine is moot)

OMGsrsly

Tomorrow when I get home from work I’m going to work on parcelling out tea samples for everyone.

VariaTEA

OMGsrsly, is your plan to send all your tea away to others to get your cupboard under control?

YES. OH MY GOODNESS YES.

I’ll need to stop by a dollar store and get more baggies, too. Hmm… I see some erranding before work, then work, then home to deal tea. :D