Random Steepings

Tea
Chocolate, Spicy, Flowers, Stonefruits, Hazelnut, Lemon, Honey, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “pssst....i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4726 tasting notes
  • “So Ceylon Star asked what kind of tea to mix up on facebook, and I immediately went into the kitchen and threw this desserty concoction together: 1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea 1/2 tsp...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1375 tasting notes
  • “Since I'm in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn't properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Hey guys i figured out how to like tasting notes and im on a computer right now for the first time in months

boychik

I need to wait another month…

apt

I feel your pain

This is my very first entry under the Random Steepings category. I came up with this idea while lamenting the lack of chocolate in my glass of Chai Diaries Chocolate Chai. Here’s the combination:

1 sachet Chai Diaries Chocolate Chai + 1 sachet Harney & Sons Valentine’s Blend

The result is okay. I noticed the chocolate chips in the Chai Diaries sachet this time, which I did not take note of last time. Now I am wondering whether the reason why I did not taste chocolate was that the sachet did not contain any chips? It was a good glass of chai, but not at all chocolatey.

This time, with a sachet of H&S Valentine’s Blend, the brew is predictably more chocolatey. It should be twice as strong teawise, but it does not really seem to be—though I may pay later (at 3am) for drinking a double dose of caffeine at 6pm!

I also see that there is one of those foody oil slicks (à la Teavana) along the surface of the liquor. The chocolate chips, by the way, were completely whitened, having been exposed to air. They looked old, and I am not sure that they are helping much here. In fact, they may be hurting.

I’ll stick to drinking Valentine’s Blend on its own in the future. Or maybe I’ll try it combined with Kusmi Spicy Chocolate…

(Blazing New Rating #65)

Flavors: Chocolate, Spicy

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

OMG http://www.arborteas.com/pages/vanilla-chaiscream
Arbor Teas accepted my recipe submission guys! I’m stoked! :D
Go check out the recipe for my Vanilla Chaiscream and make yourself some! :D
If you try it, please tell me what you think! :D

TheTeaFairy

Congrats! Looks great :-)

mj

Congrats! It sounds amazing :-)

carol who

That recipe looks amazing! Great picture, too!

Arshness

Thanks! I took it myself. ^^ It was a little melt because I had to take several shots and it was soft serve but it is still representative of the end product. Haha :)

Let me know if you try it!

Veronica

That sounds so good! I’m going to have to try it this weekend.

Arshness

Woot! Let me know if you do! I can’t wait to hear feedback.
They said they’re going to include it in their next e-newsletter too!

I figure I could at least log this one. I had Odd Side Ale’s Afternoon Delight beer tonight at the bar. It’s got berry tea in it. I wasn’t that impressed, though. It does taste like berry and like tea…kind of like iced tea that was made from tea bags that sat in the tea too long. Oh well. It was interesting, and I only tried it because it was the tea beer.

mj

Have you ever tried sweet tea vodka? It’s dangerous!!

TheTeaFairy

I’ll try anything once if it’s got tea in it :-)

Cheri

Sweet tea vodka….interesting. I haven’t tried that. I may have to see if I can find an airplane bottle of it, just to try it.

And yes, this beer really has tea in it. That’s one of the things that Odd Side Ales does. They do some interesting beers, but they use the real thing to make it. We’re going Up North for the weekend, and one of the breweries I really like near where we’ll be does a Summer Sencha beer that I love. (I had it last year and loved it so much I got a growler to take home.) It’s also made with real tea.

I still have some Design A Tea samples in my cabinet untried! So this morning pulled out Chestnut Raspberry Oolong. Not bad! Definitely the chestnut flavour is prominent followed by lighter notes of raspberry. I’m not getting much of the oolong base because the chestnut is pretty strong but overall it’s still a pretty decent cup. It is after all my own weird combo. Definitely nice to try but not a winner for buying more. Of course Design a Tea makes it so easy to try out many different combos.

This is the “everything else” category, right?

It was 100F again today, so iced tea was looking like a good idea. I cold brewed one sachet each of Lupcia Ume Vert and Tsugaru Green together, and it’s pretty much the greatest thing ever on a hot day. It has what I liked most in both blends without either one dominating. Too bad I’m almost out of the Ume Vert now!

Chocolate Energy Tea
Tea Man

Black tea, yerba mate, chocolate extract

Still working on polishing this off at work. The more I drink it the more I enjoy it though. I think I need to make sure I keep a chocolate tea at work. It’s soothing.

I did find the French press in the top back of the pantry, and pulled it down, intending to bring it to work today… set it on the kitchen island and promptly forgot all about it until I went to make tea at work this morning. Whoops.

TheTeaFairy

I love using the French press for tea, it’s so easy and the leaves can breathe!

Skulleigh

I will probably give it a washup and a trial run tomorrow as I work from home then, so it will be easier to judge how I like using it from there.

First, I love how the tasting note of this one say Flowers, Stonefruits, Honey, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest… Yet I get none of that in my blend :)

Spring is finally here and I’m enjoying with that the possibilities of new iced tea flavors. Late this week I went to an old favorite though… the iced tea I grew up on and have always loved in the summertime. My mom used to make this and it would disappear so fast we wondered where it could have gone.

I have a 3 qt iced tea maker I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago. I didn’t know how much I would use one, so a cheapy worked for me. I use 7-8 teabags, usually orange pekoe I believe although the box I have right now just says black tea, and decaf because I tend to drink this all day and wonder why can’t sleep if I use regular. I’m not terribly picky about the brand because the base isn’t the star of the show.. although I may change my mind now that I’ve been introduced to better tea choices. Then I add a generous handful of spearmint sprigs, rinsed and then squeezed to release oils, to the steeping basket as well. 3/4 of a cup of sugar to the pitcher w/some ice and we’re good to go. I sometimes add a pinch of baking soda if I remember because it’s said to help the flavor, but I often forget.. I haven’t noticed much difference myself. After it’s done steeping, I fill the pitcher the rest of the way with water and let it chill in the fridge, if it even makes it there.

I’ve been carrying this around in my Tervis the last half of this week… Yeah for running into a factory outlet while on a road trip :). and Yeah for the memories this tea brings of mom making it in time for when dad would come in from working in the fields.

I’m looking forward to introducing more flavors and varieties to our summer tea choices but know this will always be a staple .. especially when friends & family are over, they always love it. Thinking I will hunt down some peppermint and chocolate mint plants for my garden this year so I can experiment with those as well… maybe even some verbena ?

carol who

I love my Tervis tumblers. There is a factory outlet near where my mother lives in Florida. I can never resist checking them out! I always seem to come home with another tumbler I just can’t resist.

Suziqzer

Each person in my family has one and we’ve enjoyed them so far. Nice and convenient with the lids and insulated walls.

I’ll borrow this heading for a lovely cuppa I enjoyed last evening: despite my bumbling and splotchy skill as a gardener, our potted mint plants are doing beautifully. Last night I had my first steeping from the applemint plant. Ten fresh leaves, crushed, a good eight minutes in the cup. The mint was gentle, not sharp. Don’t know that I was specifically getting apple, but there was some soft fruitiness in the background. Quite pleasant.

Christina

Ooh, that sounds lovely. I had some tea a few nights ago that was just black bagged tea with fresh mint, and the mint made it taste wonderful. What exactly is applemint, though?

Suziqzer

I’ve not heard of applemint.. does it smell of fruit? Fresh mint is always great!

Terri HarpLady

My mints are all up & thriving, along with some cilantro that self-seeded. I’m thinking I need to make a vietnamese salad for lunch tomorrow.

Suziqzer

Yum.. Fresh garden salsa w/home grown cilantro.. Where is summer ?

gmathis

K S sent a sample of homegrown chocolate mint (which really had some cocoa taste going in the background) last summer. That prompted a visit to local nursery to discover how many mint varieties there are. We tried three: applemint, orange mint, and chocolate mint. Tried a steep of the orange last night, and it was more true to its name. We also saw a pineapple mint.

Terri HarpLady

I have a few mints here, & although I’m not always a big fan of mint in my tea, I do enjoy them in my salad, & nothing says ‘refreshing’ more than a few sprigs of mint in a glass of cold water!

gmathis

I would’ve never thought of mint in a salad, but we’ll give it a try—maybe with a little spinach and strawberry vinaigrette…?

Terri HarpLady

I usually feature it in a vietnamese style salad, with shredded asian cabbage, grated carrot, thinly sliced radishes, cilantro, green onions, & a dressing of fish sauce )or soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, a little maple, & toasted sesame oil. I think that’s everything! Toasted cashews make a nice addition to the salad. Traditionally it has chicken on it, but you can put anything on it. Goi Ga is the actual salad’s name. I had it at Mai Lee restaurant here in st. louis once, then found a recipe & have been eating it ever since. Although I haven’t had it for awhile.

And here’s a recipe!
I’ve never tried this recipe, but it looks about right.
Also, I don’t really care much for chicken. When I was a vegan I ate this with smoked tofu, or crispy fried tofu triangles, or tempe, or extra nuts. Otherwise, you can put any form of protein on it.

gmathis

Thanks! Sounds like a “make it once and eat it all week at work” recipe. I’ve been needing to get a small bottle of fish sauce—it keeps cropping up in things I want to try.

Terri HarpLady

I adore fish sauce, LOL. I recommend red boat brand, but if you can’t get red boat, Thai kitchen is pretty good too.
Regarding the salad, I’ve been known to make a very big pile of it, along with a large batch of the dressing in a jar, & just grab a handful for lunch (and maybe again for dinner), using different toppings as fits my mood. I pretty much lived off that salad during the last 3 months of my son Leif’s pregnancy (and he still weighed over 10#).

I had an excellent tea-receiving day and a terrible tea-drinking day. I got a most excellent package from Virginia and my mom sent me this book:
She sent it just because (what we refer to in my family as a “happy”), but it got stuck in loading dock jail at the university :(
I had a super busy day with like 3 experiments happening simultaneously, so I got in one darjeeling before work and then nothing else the whole day. I didn’t get home til after 8pm, so too late for caffeinated teas. Boo.
I finally decided that my mint had grown enough to harvest and try a cup of tea. It’s in my front window and I have to lean over a chair to water it, plus it’s been growing like a weed- so I haven’t been inspecting it at all closely. When I did look closely as I started harvesting, IT WAS COMPLETELY COVERED IN APHIDS. PANIC!!!! First step, isolation. I have twelve other plants, so I chucked it on the back porch of my apartment building. Sorry, neighbors. (I’m not sorry). When I examined the window where it was, the wood was also covered in freaking aphids and I doused it with furniture polish. Sorry, aphids. My neem oil is at work, so I plan to start treating with neem oil tomorrow. Experienced gardeners, do you have any other tips? I’m super nervous for my other plants now and I feel like there are bugs crawling all over my scalp. Gross.

MzPriss

Oh no – that sucks! My usual cure for aphids is lady bugs but that probably won’t work inside your house. I would spray everything down with some insecticidal soap (it is an approved organic method) and then besure you rinse anything you will eat really really well. :(

Nxtdoor

My freaking rose bush is getting eaten too. Some sort of white fuzzy bug. I am not a gardener so I don’t even know what bug this is. I shall have to google. But we sprayed with insecticidal something and it was free of one bug and now it’s another. I’m kinda giving up on it. Gardening is HARD!

Sarsonator

I’m surprised aphids went after mint. Mint is normally pretty pest-free. I use organic dish soap in a spray bottle of water. I use it for my dishes, so I feel safe using it on my plants. :)

I forget the exact ratio, but it’s not much. A few tbsps in the bottle. Works great and it’s cheap. First I “flick” off as many aphids as I can, outside of course. Then I shake the bottle and give it a good dousing of soapy water spray twice per day.

Mint usually benefits from a good cut-back once in awhile, so I’d probably give it a little “haircut” first in this case, then do the soap. That way you aren’t eating aphid leaves later. I don’t think they’re as highly sought as leafhopper leaves. Good luck!!!

Uniquity

My grandfather was a farmer and at least for the last thirty years of his life (not sure about the start) he used a solution of water and dish soap to keep pests off his plants. Works great, doesn’t harm the plant and doesn’t hurt people and animals either.

MzPriss

Insecticidal soap is pretty much the same thing and I’ve also used the dish soap. And I’m also surprised by aphids on mint – they usually like sweeter things

mj

I was also extremely surprised. Where did they come from?? I got those plants from Amazon and opened the package inside. I certainly didn’t notice any bugs then. Maybe they’re not actually aphids? I did some googling and I couldn’t figure out what else they could be. They look a lot like aphids and don’t look like common mint pests (spider mites, loopers, flea beetles), but I’m certainly no expert. Thanks everyone, I will try the dish soap!
LOL @Sars and the “leafhopper” mint leaves

Sarsonator

:p

Let us know how it goes. The one great thing is that mint is damn near impossible to kill and should make a full recovery for you. :)

boychik

Could they be mealy? White cottony? Google the image. I use solution of 1/2 water 1/2 alcohol and few drops of neem oil. Water should be warm. Shake well and spray everywhere. Replace the soil. It should be fast draining. Don’t put in sunny location, neem will cook it. Google gardenweb Tapla pest mix solution. He is guru of soil mixes and solutions. You can even email him and he always responds. Good luck

hippiechick 42

Jealous of the book! ;P. I am so sorry about the mint. Hopefully some of the ideas stated will work for you! Let us know.