Random Steepings

Tea
Smoke, Wood, Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Chocolate, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Creamy, Hibiscus, Vanilla, Fruity, Tart, Wet Rocks, Astringent, Medicinal, Grass, Nutty, Seaweed, Sweet, Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Bitter, Green, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Herbaceous, Tannin, Almond, Caramel, Honey, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Pineapple, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Sugar, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Herbs, Dust, Vegetal, Cinnamon, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Floral, Peppercorn, Spicy, Camphor, Thick, Hay, Butter, Apricot, Dried Fruit, Malt, Plums, Sugarcane, Ginger, Smooth, Cream, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Orchid, Berry, Pumpkin, Earth, Forest Floor, Mud, Muscatel, Pepper, Raisins, Nuts, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Citrus, Cookie, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Apple, Burnt Sugar, Wet wood, Lychee, Autumn Leaf Pile, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Mango, Vegetables, Yams, Rose, Pastries, Salt, Decayed wood, Coffee, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Strawberry, Stonefruits, Lemon, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

A contender from the mystery group buy, all it says is “A piece of the 200g Iceland sheng ball from Aliexpress.” Hm. Mysterious. Smells like strong sheng, why not give it a whirl?

Wasn’t sure of the age, so let’s go light on the water temp, about intense oolong temp, fast bubbles coming up in the pot (too lazy to take exact temp today). Hm, starts of kind of not doing much, although quite a mouth drying feel to it for not much flavor for the first two steeps. Gaiwan smells very camphorated and unpleasantly medicinal. Hm.

And then things took a steep downturn. WTF, even more astringent and the tea smells kinda… smokey and…. tobacco-y. But not in the good way. The gaiwan smells EXACTLY like an ashtray. EW. As the tea cools, it tastes less like cigarette butts and more like gross medicine with a burnt tobacco aroma and gross smoker’s breath on the aftertaste. Dumped it out after this, couldn’t keep going, need to wash out mouth with bleach, ASDFLKJASDLKFJASL,

Flavors: Astringent, Leather, Medicinal, Smoke, Tobacco

Liquid Proust

Well thankfully your portion was like 70cents :)
Owl liked it https://www.instagram.com/p/BEhCERbxYCE/

nishnek

Lolol, well, it kinda tasted like something I would expect if an owl with smoke induced lung cancer regurgitated it, so maybe that’s the reason, XD.

nishnek

Also, that tea owl and his little leaf hat is too adorable, :3.

Liquid Proust

He’s actually made after Totoro :)

I drank a fine vanilla rooibos (I’m not sure what company) this morning made from a really REALLY nice rooibos. I need to ask them the brand and buy some, it was different than what I’ve had before. Very sweet like marzipan/almonds and less woody. I found it had a similar natural sweetness to the level of sweetness in peanut brittle. The vanilla was subtle, it would have been nice if it was stronger. I’d still say it was a 9/10 considering the rooibos quality.

Flavors: Almond, Caramel, Honey, Marzipan, Nectar, Rooibos, Sweet, Vanilla

Boiling 8 min or more 3 tsp 20 OZ / 600 ML
Super Starling!

This sounds great. Report back!

Arby Robilliard

I’ll ask next time I walk by the shop. :)

A Hong Kong-Roasted Three Stamp Shuixian purchased from @jayinhkg.

An evening tea session originally planned for earlier in the afternoon. Rich malt and chocolate aromatics and flavor notes. So super smooth and creamy with zero bitterness. This is some seriously good high quality Shui Xian. With a similar flavor profile, consistency and color of dark roasted coffee beans this is an expresso of teas. I rarely pair food with tea but tonight I paired this incredible tea with a delicious orange scone and it was a perfect match.

7g of dark chocolate colored leaf, 100ml Purion, 190F for 60s, 30s, 20s, 30s and climbing from there.

This could easily have been a temptation for a back to back session.

The dry leaf:

The session:

190 °F / 87 °C 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This is for Verdant Tea’s “Thirty Year” Tieguanyin. Probably not worth making a separate database entry for this because it likely won’t be available again. I bought some of this when I purchased their bamboo strainers, which I highly recommend, and I needed to add only a few dollars more to get free shipping. Thus I tossed this into my cart.

This tea is tough to judge because it has been heavily re-roasted recently. In fact it tasted like it was re-roasted right before I got it. Noticed some nearly char black pieces, the roasting is rather uneven. I mainly tasted the roast throughout with a slight sour note. The tea looked green once the roasting soaked off. I don’t think this is 30 year old Tieguanyin but with Verdant’s track record of misleading marketing lately I wasn’t expecting this tea to be as old as advertised.

On the plus side, it does steep quite a long time. I got 8 steeps before getting bored with the tea and it could have easily gone a few more. I don’t remember what parameters I used but I did use quite a lot of the tea.

Gooseberry Spoon

Will it go in the tin?

Cwyn

No, it is too recently roasted. Such a small amount left anyway.

So over the last week I’ve been telling myself I need a thick-walled gaiwan for brewing high-temperature teas like shou. Basically the theory is that thick-walled gaiwans retain heat better on longer steeps, making later steeps more flavorful. Anyway, I don’t have the money to buy teaware at the moment so I decided to make my own.

May I introduce you to…the double-boiler gaiwan!

Yeah, so I happen to have two of the same gaiwan cups (the lid broke on my first one), and decided to try filling the lower one with boiling-ass water and steeping the top one with equally hot water. So does it work? Yes! Not only is the gaiwan sizzling hot to the touch, but the tea inside (2011 Hui Run from Yunnan Sourcing) is much richer and more intense in later infusions. Maybe I should switch my major to engineering…

Matu

Brilliant. I’d find every way to burn the hell outta my fingers doing that though haha

JWhisk

Ha yeah, I definitely singed my fingertips a little. The goal is no fingerprints by age 30

Backlog from April 21st:

Pineapple Kona Pop / Raspberry Pineapple Luau
from Teavana

I mixed these two together this morning for something different, but it didn’t really create anything spectacular. In fact, it’s pretty tasteless. I’m sure it’s partly due to my teas being older, but it’s really just not good. There is a vague fruitiness but it mostly tastes dusty and bland. The color is a deep berry red which I’m assuming is from the hibiscus which I can also taste. Not impressed.

Flavors: Dust, Fruity, Hibiscus

Well, today I’ve finally had a moment to sit and drink tea; to contemplate my life. The last couple of weeks of college are nearly complete (4 classes left until I complete my Education major, and then can continue onward for another year, to become a certified middle-grades History/English teacher!), my wife’s car is on the verge of falling apart, we’re waiting for our caseworker to get a hold of us to set a date for the home study, and we’re eager to have our children out of the terrible foster system—and into a loving home—where Mom & Dad will give them the best that we can give them….

Okay, that was sentimental….

Anyway, I’m currently drinking my third cup of Liquid Proust’s ‘A Dark Kitchen Sink.’ As of late, I’ve been wanting to eat everything candy and/or ice cream. However, I need to resist the temptation, and just pluck from the cupboard, these types of tea that I purposely have for these stressed induced situations. Fortunately, this was in there—and what a treat! If I were to close my eyes at this moment, I could say that you’ve watered ice cream down (particularly a Turtle sundae) by a whole lot, and reduced it to a simple drink; to which I’d say,

“My, oh my, what a fine treat! Is this hot watered down ice cream?”

Then I’d hear, “No you dope, it’s simply the best damn dessert tea that you’ve ever had.”

Alright, there’s a huge nutty flavor which comes from the whole pecans within the tea. There is definitely a nice black tea flavor after the third steep that jumps out a little (from the description, I’m assuming that’s from the Golden Pu-erh needles); which gives it the sweet cocoa note. The honey gives it a nice caramel note, too. I mean, I could list the ingredients that I try, but when I go about reviewing a tea that way, I get sidetracked, and then my review turns to mush.

I will just say that this is GREAT, remarkable, extraordinary, amazing, astonishing, astounding, sensational, stunning, incredible, and unbelievable! Buy it. Try it! Drink it! It’s liquid ice cream! What could be better?

P.S. Today’s tea soundtrack comes from the Japanese instrumental rock band, MONO, “Hymn to the Immortal Wind.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbnhjsDI_ho

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa, Honey, Pecan, Vanilla

Daylon R Thomas

It’s one of the best Pu-ERh blends I’ve had. Funny enough, I’m a social studies education major…

R.F. Hill

Any particular era of history that you enjoy the most?

Liquid Proust

Oh hey, I have a MCE bacholers certified to teach SS and LA :)

R.F. Hill

Well, I guess there are plenty of us out there in the world, wanting to teach! Such interesting subjects, too.:)

Kirkoneill1988

one of the many best reviews i’ve ever seen

Daylon R Thomas

Ancient Egypt. My degree was in anthropology, but I switched ‘cause I like teaching more. I probably will pursue a Master’s or a PhD eventually, but with my type 1 diabetes, I need good insurance to cover my pump supplies.

Daylon R Thomas

I also really like teaching philosophy and psychology…which I do as a tutor in a International Baccalaureate Theory of Knowledge class.

R.F. Hill

That is awesome! I’m a big Civil War buff & 19th century literature geek. I want to pursue a Master’s in Literature and/or Counseling.

R.F. Hill

Egypt is pretty cool stuff, though. I just taught my kids about mummys the other day.

gmathis

Can’t wait to hear good news about the kiddos! They are blessed that you much about them!

R.F. Hill

@gmathis, We are preparing the house for everything. We’ve already got the bedroom ready, finally have (as of yesterday) two reliable family-sized cars, and have bought them small gifts for when they arrive! We’re so excited; it’s quite emotional for the both of us. Unfortunately, the county is behind by 5-6 weeks on home studies, so that is frustrating. Thank you for the kind words :)

gmathis

That you care so much about them! (Glad you read between the typos.) Keep us posted!

I received a mystery sample! All I know for sure about it is that it’s by Yuuki-cha. My best guess from the appearance was that it was a green tea, so I steeped accordingly. I think I guessed right. The brew is quite dark, but definitely not dark enough for a black tea. To me this tastes like hojicha, though the dry leaves didn’t look anything like the hojicha I’ve tried before. It may also be some sort of oolong I haven’t encountered before, but hojicha is my best guess.

Drank a puerh I got from Liquid Proust tonight – not from one of the group buys. It was labeled “2011 Cha QZ – YS” (Also could’ve said 45 instead of YS lol). Neither he nor I could figure out what it actually was. Oh well. Used 4.8g in a 60mL gaiwan, so I was worried about bitterness, but it wasn’t bad. Seemed like a pretty gentle tea, possibly Yiwu. I got lighter floral sweetness with some soft fruity notes mixed in as well. It was pretty good tea, but I have no idea what tea it actually was lol.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity, Hay, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML
Daylon R Thomas

Sounds like an oolong or a white tea. More so white tea.

Matu

Well I know it was puerh actually, because it came in one of LP’s little sheng starter packs he’s been sending out. Unless he threw me a curve ball ;) But I talked to him online about it, and while did know it’s a sheng, anything more specific eluded us haha.

mrmopar

2011 Cha Qi by them maybe?

Hoálatha

I know the feeling. I’ve been waiting for him to get back before I post my reviews because I’m not 100% sure which tea to link to!

It’s fun reading these puerh reviews; it’s like having a tea party online with Liquid Proust as the Mad Hatter.

Rasseru

@MrMopar – thats what I thought it might be

Enjoying some ripe pu-erh this morning. Not sure really what kind or where it is from since it was a gift. It has a wonderful deep earthy taste and aroma though.