Random Steepings

Tea
Roasted, Sweet, Tobacco, Cucumber, Nuts, Pumpkin, Baked Bread, Malt, Grapes, Citrus, Peppermint, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Flowers, Creamy, Custard, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Apricot, Caramel, Grass, Jam, Astringent, Blueberry, Chestnut, Nutty, Almond, Cookie, Fruity, Mango, Tart, Jasmine, Plums, Honey, Yams, Earth, Rose, Butter, Pastries, Salt, Ginger, Hay, Wood, Coffee, Cream, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Chocolate, Spicy, Stonefruits, Hazelnut, Smoke, Burnt Sugar, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

I mixed Zhena’s Chocolate Chai and Republic of Tea’s Good Hope Vanilla and drank it iced.

These are two high-quality rooibos teas that mix quite well together. It tasted like earthy- spicy dessert. I would do it again, except that I like the vanilla rooibos better by itself.

This is quite possibly my first “Random Steepings” entry. Tada! The beau and I had Chinese food “in town” tonight and I was curious about the tea. The waitress said there was a loose leaf oolong and we asked for a pot of that. It came loose but was brewing up really dark so we investigated. Turned out, this is definitely shu puerh. She had no more info about it but we told her a bit about puerh and how she might like to brew it if she wants to try it again. It was actually really nice and held up to Western steeping really well. This encouraged me to try more of our pu Western style. Yay!

Also excuse the (many?) Typos. I’m on my phone and Steepster won’t let me see what I am typing so I am just hoping it turns out legible…now it’s letting me. Grr. That was pretty bad. I think I got most of them.

Cheri

Isn’t that frustrating, that on the phone the text entry field doesn’t like to show everything?!

Next Design a Tea sample is Blueberry Chestnut with a black base. The black leaves are very small, and there are pieces of some kind of dried fruit-like thing along with decorative flower petals. Dry scent is very sweet and nutty, I don’t get much blueberry but it still smells really good! Once I poured the water over the leaves, I got a nice whiff of blueberry aroma. Steeped for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Brewed aroma is still very sweet and rich with lots of nutty scent. I do get a bit of blueberry jam, but it’s in the background. Hmm… I get a lot of the black base (malty, generic) with some nuttiness mixed in. The blueberry mostly shows up at the end of the sip. Tried it with a bit of sugar added, and while it definitely helped to bring out the blueberry flavor, I think I’m just not a fan of white sugar in my tea anymore. It adds a weird aftertaste that reminds me of artificial sweeteners… Maybe next time I’ll try brown sugar. Overall, a decent tea, and I imagine it would be good with milk. Rating would be mid-70s.

Flavors: Astringent, Blueberry, Chestnut, Jam, Malt, Nutty, Sweet

or honey? maple syrup?

Cameron B.

Usually I find honey adds too much flavor, but it depends on the tea. I haven’t tried maple syrup because I don’t have any, but I have heard it’s nice in smoky teas. :)

Starfevre

Depends on the honey and depends on the tea, but yeah it works better in some teas than others. Trying to taste nuance and for delicate teas it doesn’t work so well. I drink my tea with unprocessed cane sugar crystals and I haven’t had an artificial taste problem and I’m pretty sensitive to artificial sweeteners. YMMV.

Cameron B.

I’ll definitely pick up some raw sugar or German rock sugar to try next time I get a chance. :)

This was in my surprise birthday package from The Cookie Lady. She told me she couldn’t remember what it was. And now that I’ve tasted it I think it’s a jasmine tea!
Least that’s what it tastes like to me. Not bad at all!
Plus!
The leaves are rolled up into little pearls, which I really love! They’re so unique and pretty! Thank you for the generous sample, The Cookie Lady! You’re fantastic! (:

Flavors: Jasmine

Cameron B.

Definitely looks like jasmine pearls. :)

I agree!

Sara

They look like jasmine pearls to me, too!

The Cookie Lady

Did you like the ridiculously long note I wrote on the bag to explain how I didn’t know what it was?? :) I just figured there was no way I was going to be able to fit a piece of paper into that over-stuffed tin, so on the bag it all went!!

Ost

Haha it made me smile! Have you had that tea, The Cookie Lady? :P

In addition to the indian white, I also got a Chinese black, a Kukicha, and a matcha covered Genmaicha. The Chinese black, labeled only as such, is smoky, woodsy, and floral. I expect it might be a Keemun. Nevertheless, it reminds me of spring in the Olympic mountains. Wild flowers abundant, evergreens standing crisply in the chilly air, perhaps near a campfire. Lovely tea so long as I am careful not to steep it. The Kukicha tastes like a warm chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate, and it can take some steeping abuse. A wonderful tea, as well.

I threw my Yunnan Dian Hong Golden Tips (Teavivre) and North Winds (Whispering Pines) leaves together for a second steeping, and made it into a delicious latte. Yum yum!

Early this week I went to the local tea room while I was waiting for the used book store to look through books I was wanting to sell (for more tea, of course.)

So I went to this place called Hidden Peak Tea Room. I really like the atmosphere there. Nice teaware, art, and some pretty background music. They were out of the Keemun tea I wanted to try, so I got a Yunnan Gold instead.

Hidden Peak Tea- Yunnan Gold

scent- malty, sweet, hints of citrus
flavour- malt, honey, smooth (there were some mild notes of yams as it cooled)

It was a nice place to visit, and I got some gaiwan brewing practice.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Sweet, Yams

Today I felt like having something a little different, so I mixed together three different Yunnan blacks.

-2013 Hong Yun Yiwu Mountain Wild Arbor black tea cake from Yunnan Sourcing: A very fruity, floral, almost sheng-like hong cha
-Some cheap dian hong from an AliExpress seller: A very earthy, malty black with a honey sweetness
-And bit of Adagios Yunnan Gold, which is a very silky and smooth tippy Yunnan

Three different extremes of Yunnan black tea that balance each other quite well :)

Brewed in my black tea yixing, which has started to take on a really gorgeous patina

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

sounds good to me!

tperez

It really was! The results were better than I expected. I think I liked it more than any of the three by themselves

Kirkoneill1988

what exactly is random steepings and various artists? is it where you post custom blends?

Starfevre

Basically the misc of steepster.

Terri HarpLady

Kirkoneill, I started the random steepings category a year or so ago, as a place to post whatever: teas that are no longer available (so why bother creating an entry for them), home made blends, or whatever you feel like using it for, LOL.

Kirkoneill1988

oh! i get it now :D

This purely a personal note, so feel free to skip it

I had a mental meltdown today. So were really tight on money, and my financial aid is messed up, and I just found out that the tax forms that I need to fix it can’t be retrived electronically, and instead have to be shipped to my mom. So since I can’t even accept the loans I need to pay for the rest of my tuition until that’s straightened out, I can’t afford my classes.

Then, the cable and internet was out all day, and 75% of my classes are online, and classes started this week, but I couldn’t even look to see if I had any assignments.

Then, my car battery died, and I lost it. I waited until my boyfriend left for work, and then I broke down. Unless I’m alone watching a sappy scene in a show/movie, or reading a sad part of a book, I don’t really cry.

I called my dad, because he’s the one who fixes my car when it breaks usually. Since my boyfriend has work all night and works both jobs tomorrow, he came out to help me get the battery out and take it to get charged. Gets to my place, turns out that when I replaced my battery last time, I didn’t didn’t tighten the connectors all the way. He tightens it properly, the car starts no problem.

At this time it’s dinner time, and he suggests we go to this Thai place right next door that I’ve been dying to go too since I moved here. Over dinner, he tells me he’ll give me the money I need for tuition, so I don’t have to quit school.

And I got a Thai iced tea, which I’ve never had, and it was sweet and creamy, and vanilla and delicious.

And then when I got home, my internet was back on. So after such a hard day, I feel much better knowing that a lot of my problems have been handled. (:

Hooray for (mostly) happy endings! And I love Thai iced tea. :D

Mandy

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted (: And it’s so yummy! The waitress brought me a sample and I was just like yes! Yes please! I need this! haha

Cheri

I’m sorry the day was soooo horrible, but I’m glad that things are getting better. And that Thai iced tea is DELISH!!!

Well, the teas went over swimmingly at the work tea party! Honey Black by Green Terrace Teas was practically an empty pot – which rarely happens! Strawberry Green by Kusmi was much praised for being able to actually identify strawberry in the flavor. Hawaiian Paradise by Zen Zeu was remarked upon for the lovely deep pink color but thought it might benefit from being chilled. Least popular was Earl Grey Baroness by Annabelle’s – a random tea brought back to me by a friend.

Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/q8bnfv8

Cameron B.

I am so jealous! I want to come to your tea parties! :D

Did you make all of the food or did other people bring some? Looks amazing.

boychik

im about to eat my monitor :)

Nicole

I usually let people bring something if they want, but I made all of this one since I had recipes I wanted to test out. And all anyone has to do is be in KC and have time – I’ll whip up tea parties with any excuse. :)

Terri HarpLady

That crow is an especially nice touch!

i’m still bummed we didn’t get a chance to meet up!

MissLena

I have the same kitty tea pot as you!! It’s so cute :D

Ysaurella

awesome, I love both Kitty tea pot and the crow!

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

OOh I love that pumpkin teapot!

yyz

Loved the fun teapots. Looks like you had fun putting everything together.

Lion

Aaaah that all looks tantalizing.