Random Steepings

Tea
Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Flowers, Roasted, Creamy, Custard, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Apricot, Caramel, Grass, Jam, Astringent, Blueberry, Chestnut, Malt, Nutty, Sweet, Almond, Cookie, Fruity, Mango, Tart, Honey, Yams, Earth, Rose, Butter, Pastries, Salt, Ginger, Hay, Wood, Coffee, Cream, Chocolate, Spicy, Stonefruits, Hazelnut, Smoke, Burnt Sugar, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3004 tasting notes
  • “pssst....i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5059 tasting notes
  • “So Ceylon Star asked what kind of tea to mix up on facebook, and I immediately went into the kitchen and threw this desserty concoction together: 1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea 1/2 tsp...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1496 tasting notes
  • “Since I'm in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn't properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

My husband loves sweet tea. Lately I’ve finally gotten around to start making it for him, mostly because I got an awesome tea brewing pitcher at a sale at Teavana. I’m alternating making it with dirt cheap black tea, and more interesting (and expensive) stuff. This time I used 6 teaspoons Vanilla Oolong (Adagio), 5 teaspoons Cream flavored Black tea (Adagio), 1 teaspoon ground Vanilla Beans (Mountain Rose Herbs), 1 teaspoon Xylitol, 7 Tablespoons sugar, and 8 cups water. I cold brewed it, and it turned out quite nice. It was too sweet for my personal preference, but aside from that the flavor was very interesting. My husband said it tasted like a sweet vanilla coffee drink where you can’t really taste the coffee. I think I would really like the combination with less sugar. The cream and vanilla flavors complemented the black tea very well.

Flavors: Coffee, Cream, Sweet, Vanilla

Iced 8 min or more 12 tsp 64 OZ / 1892 ML

albertocanfly and gmathis, this is totally your fault ;-)

All this talk about mint has inspired me to brew my favourite. Had to wait for my wild mint to grow first. I tell you, this recipe requires a lot of skills…you need fresh mint, boiling water, and a clear glass mug.

That’s it folks!

This is what you do. You fill the cup with LOTS of fresh mint, leaves and stems. I usually take one large bunch so everything is attached together. My personal favourite is sweet spearmint.

Poor some just boiled water in a glass mug in order to watch the show. Don’t cover, just watch the leaves dance, they will become a vibrant emerald green. Wait a good 5 minutes and start sipping. Don’t remove the leaves, the tea will become even more flavourful as you drink it. Will never become bitter.

I learned to do that about four years ago in a Thai restaurant. When I asked for mint tea, that’s what they brought me. I fell in love with it. Who knew mint tea could be so easy and so much more flavourful this way!

I planted my own mint that summer…it still grows and has become a bush. I can have sweet mint tea all I want, it’s so relaxing and helps me feel at peace, especially at night.

For those who have never experienced mint that way, a must try :-)

MzPriss

I do this in the summer and then put it in the fridge for cold tea. I add some lemon balm to mine and it is luscious!

mj

That sounds delightful! TheTeaFairy, you are now not only my tea-enabler, you are my houseplant enabler. You’ve just given me an excuse to get a mint plant. Chocolate mint, I think! I already bought two new plants this weekend and this will bring my houseplant total to 11…in my 1 bedroom apartment lol.

TheTeaFairy

MzPriss, the lemon balm thing sounds delicious, will have to try!

Mj, chocolate mint is an awesome idea! As for being your houseplant enabler, please don’t let it be me, you will only kill anything you try to grow lol, I’m terrible with plants!

The only reason my mint is doing so well is because it takes care of itself, just like my rhubarb and other herbs I have. No matter how bad I mistreat them, they keep coming back for more the next year…that tells me there are such a thing as masochist plants!

Good luck with it though, let me know when you have your first fresh mint tea :-)

gmathis

Happy to oblige! We have had an unusual late spring/early summer here; lots of lots of rain without much heat. The mint “plantation” is loving it…SW Missouri is typically hotter and drier; I may not be so lucky next year.

MJ, chocolate mint seems to be the hardiest of the types I’ve tried so far.

mj

Haha TheTeaFairy I just need enabling for the purchase of the plants. After that, I can probably handle the care. I’ve had a few of my plants for years now! BTW, I bought three different mint varieties: chocolate mint, lavender mint, and strawberry mint.

gmathis

Hadn’t seen lavender or strawberry yet. Will be interested to hear how those progress!

albertocanfly

tehehe…mint tea is just so incredibly refreshing!!! . And I love drinking it this way, it tastes amazing and the leaves in the cup are always gorgeous (it is mandatory for me to drink tea like this in clear mug :D)

You know those wee little packets of enough black Chinese tea to make a big cup that only have Chinese writing on them so you have NO idea what they are? I’m having one of those now. I really wish I knew what it was. It’s nice and chocolaty with lots of body. I got a shitload of these little bags one day and I’m glad I did as they will be good for my travel bag and the tea stick.

I still have some sheng leaves left from yesterday that I will likely be getting back to today. Right now, I’m being MzMicrobe. Terri has inspired my microbiologist side. I’m working on: Root Kimchi (recipe by Terri), milk kefir and water kefir using my new kefir grains. After lunch I’ll be making some blackberry cobbler with the blackberries from my garden with a batter using almond flour and a recipe thoughtfully provided by Terri. In between I’m trying to organize my tea.

whatshesaid

Yummy day!

So glad to inspire!!
I have milk kefir granules in my frig, if they are still alive. My son Leif was making & drinking a lot of Kefir for awhile. I used them with coconut milk to make Coco-Keifer, which is awesome, but in spite of giving them a good rinse before putting them in the coconut milk, I still seemed to have a dairy allergy reaction. I’ll probably give it a try again, because I’m a scientist at heart. I did have a successful water kefir thing going for awhile, & they work good in coconut milk too, but it’s a completely different drink :) The only thing I don’t like about water Kefir granules is they seem to have a tendency to start making ‘hooch’, if you know what I mean.

MzPriss

I do know. I’m wondering if I can shorten the time it ferments and avoid that. Did you ever do the water grains in coconut water?

MzPriss

Oh and my kimchi is in the jar. I’m about to put together the batter for the cobbler. My berries are all washed and ready. I’m probably not going to cook them first like the recipe does with the peaches

Terri HarpLady

Good plan with the cobbler, I think. I need to make berry cobbler this week.
I have also made water kefir with coconut water, & it’s a lovely fuzzy drink, especially if you include a couple of slices of ginger in the fermentation! The Granules love it it & grow like crazy, but THAT one really has a strong tendency to turn into Hooch! LOL

MzPriss

Oh I want that though – with the ginger and coconut water, I’ll just try to watch the time. This is giving me all kinds of ideas though.

Terri HarpLady

Now I’m thinking I need to get new water kefir grains & give it another try :)

MzPriss

YES! We can be Mad Kefir Scientists!

Hey guys i figured out how to like tasting notes and im on a computer right now for the first time in months

boychik

I need to wait another month…

apt

I feel your pain

Custom blend: Harney & Sons Chamomile and Harney & Sons Yellow & Blue

I decided to reinfuse the spent sachets of these two teas and together they produced a fine second brew! I actually like this ratio of chamomile to lavender better than the Yellow & Blue alone, which sometimes seems too heavy on the lavender—depending on my mood.

OMG http://www.arborteas.com/pages/vanilla-chaiscream
Arbor Teas accepted my recipe submission guys! I’m stoked! :D
Go check out the recipe for my Vanilla Chaiscream and make yourself some! :D
If you try it, please tell me what you think! :D

TheTeaFairy

Congrats! Looks great :-)

mj

Congrats! It sounds amazing :-)

carol who

That recipe looks amazing! Great picture, too!

Arshness

Thanks! I took it myself. ^^ It was a little melt because I had to take several shots and it was soft serve but it is still representative of the end product. Haha :)

Let me know if you try it!

Veronica

That sounds so good! I’m going to have to try it this weekend.

Arshness

Woot! Let me know if you do! I can’t wait to hear feedback.
They said they’re going to include it in their next e-newsletter too!

I figure I could at least log this one. I had Odd Side Ale’s Afternoon Delight beer tonight at the bar. It’s got berry tea in it. I wasn’t that impressed, though. It does taste like berry and like tea…kind of like iced tea that was made from tea bags that sat in the tea too long. Oh well. It was interesting, and I only tried it because it was the tea beer.

mj

Have you ever tried sweet tea vodka? It’s dangerous!!

TheTeaFairy

I’ll try anything once if it’s got tea in it :-)

Cheri

Sweet tea vodka….interesting. I haven’t tried that. I may have to see if I can find an airplane bottle of it, just to try it.

And yes, this beer really has tea in it. That’s one of the things that Odd Side Ales does. They do some interesting beers, but they use the real thing to make it. We’re going Up North for the weekend, and one of the breweries I really like near where we’ll be does a Summer Sencha beer that I love. (I had it last year and loved it so much I got a growler to take home.) It’s also made with real tea.

I still have some Design A Tea samples in my cabinet untried! So this morning pulled out Chestnut Raspberry Oolong. Not bad! Definitely the chestnut flavour is prominent followed by lighter notes of raspberry. I’m not getting much of the oolong base because the chestnut is pretty strong but overall it’s still a pretty decent cup. It is after all my own weird combo. Definitely nice to try but not a winner for buying more. Of course Design a Tea makes it so easy to try out many different combos.

T&C TTB 21/23

Numi Pettit flower: there was a picture guide to help tell them apart but none of them had the shape I was looking for but two had the color combination I was looking for.
After adding the water it was fun to watch it bloom to find a little reddish flower thing in the middle. After comparing the bloomed flower with the choices, I think I picked Dragon Lily. After reading what Dragon Lily tasted like “sweet apricot” I think I can taste apricot but I mostly smell and taste over cooked vegetables. Not sure what I picked but it was fun to try.

I did a little alchemy with some teas I had on hand that I thought would blend nicely—the unknown green tea I’ve spent a few notes on figuring out, an unknown white tea that was quite subtle with a light stonefruit note, and a few buds of Yabao from Whispering Pines. It turns out that the Yabao dominates, even though I only put two buds in this cup. The tea has that very fresh, light pine quality, with a bit of juicy vegetal sweetness. The green tea adds a very faint bitterness to the background, actually a good thing in this case. Overall it was fairly interesting, more full-bodied than Yabao by itself, with the fruitiness of the other teas somewhat tempered.

I also tried a sample that was Whittard English Rose Black Tea, but it was unlike the ones listed on Steepster—it specifically was stated to contain no petals. The tea was not marketed on the main Whittard site but sold by an authorized distributor overseas. This was a mellow black tea with a light floral note, but it did not smell or taste sharply of rose. There was also a touch of fresh apple in the aroma. It was a pretty enjoyable, gentle blend that was not overly perfumed, something I appreciate.

In conclusion…I need to get more teas soon.