Random Steepings

Tea
Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Flowers, Roasted, Creamy, Custard, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Apricot, Caramel, Grass, Jam, Astringent, Blueberry, Chestnut, Malt, Nutty, Sweet, Almond, Cookie, Fruity, Mango, Tart, Jasmine, Honey, Yams, Earth, Rose, Butter, Pastries, Salt, Ginger, Hay, Wood, Coffee, Cream, Orange, Chocolate, Spicy, Stonefruits, Hazelnut, Smoke, Burnt Sugar, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3065 tasting notes
  • “pssst....i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5351 tasting notes
  • “So Ceylon Star asked what kind of tea to mix up on facebook, and I immediately went into the kitchen and threw this desserty concoction together: 1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea 1/2 tsp...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1613 tasting notes
  • “Since I'm in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn't properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

My first tasting note since the baby was born!

Made a cup with 1/2 tsp Mandarin Orange Spice (Celestial Seasonings), 1 tsp Peach Tranquility (Teavana), 1 tsp chai spices, and a few pieces of clementine peels. It tasted quite good, lots of orange and spice, so very autumnal and festive, but the peach flavor seems to have gotten lost. I’ll have to try it again with a bit more peach.

The baby was born Thursday afternoon after a relatively easy labor. I’m home from the hospital and feeling pretty good, which is a welcome change from my last son. My toddler has been kind of clingy, but seems to be taking well to being a big brother. The first thing he did when he met his new brother was give him a kiss (so cute!). I’ve already had several cups of tea, but mostly things I’ve reviewed before. So nice to be back!

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
The Cookie Lady

Ooooo, a baby! Congratulations!!

gmathis

What wonderful news! Enjoy each other!

(Backlog from last night)

This week, an Instagram tea friend gifted me with one of the nicest care package I have ever received. Teas, teawares, gemstones, silk pouches….I was overwhelmed.

This person is a wonderful being…

Most of his teas are pu’erh, unique and very special cause you can’t just go and purchase them…they are for the most part private reserves.

Among all those puerh teas, there was a pouch that just caught my attention. Flowers!! Chrysanthemum buds that he blends himself with rose petals.

Not only is this blend the prettiest thing I have ever seen, but it also tastes like heaven. IF you like florals of course.

I am a notorious insomniac. He told me this might help me relax at night. I was skeptical, cause really, no infusion ever helped me before.

Well guess what…it did help! After quite a few steeps, my eyes became heavy and a soothing wave of relaxation started to flow inside of me.

I brewed it in a small glass gaiwan, and it steeped forever… I had to stop and go to bed.

This is such a nice discovery…Tea people are just the best peeps I know!

Pics:

boychik

Finally you will have some rest. He had to send it to you long time ago ;). Amazing pics dear <3

apt

glad you were able to find something that helps you sleep.

what kinds of pu’erh did he send you? i saw the shou on IG.

Ysaurella

I’m so glad it helped you ! lovely pics as always.

TheTeaFairy

@boychik: thank you for all the love, right back at ya! For the sleep, now we have to see if it works every time, haha!

@apt: thank you…so do I!! And for the pu, if I knew I would tell you…but I don’t, lol. I got a few shengs but mostly shou. Total mystery except that some are from 1000 year old trees. Some are made exclusively for certain families in China, and he happens to be friends with one of them. The beauty is I don’t really feel I need to know…I just feel very lucky and greateful that I get to experience them :-)

@Ysaurella: merci ma très chère amie ;-)

hippiechick 42

You know those wee little packets of enough black Chinese tea to make a big cup that only have Chinese writing on them so you have NO idea what they are? I’m having one of those now. I really wish I knew what it was. It’s nice and chocolaty with lots of body. I got a shitload of these little bags one day and I’m glad I did as they will be good for my travel bag and the tea stick.

I still have some sheng leaves left from yesterday that I will likely be getting back to today. Right now, I’m being MzMicrobe. Terri has inspired my microbiologist side. I’m working on: Root Kimchi (recipe by Terri), milk kefir and water kefir using my new kefir grains. After lunch I’ll be making some blackberry cobbler with the blackberries from my garden with a batter using almond flour and a recipe thoughtfully provided by Terri. In between I’m trying to organize my tea.

whatshesaid

Yummy day!

So glad to inspire!!
I have milk kefir granules in my frig, if they are still alive. My son Leif was making & drinking a lot of Kefir for awhile. I used them with coconut milk to make Coco-Keifer, which is awesome, but in spite of giving them a good rinse before putting them in the coconut milk, I still seemed to have a dairy allergy reaction. I’ll probably give it a try again, because I’m a scientist at heart. I did have a successful water kefir thing going for awhile, & they work good in coconut milk too, but it’s a completely different drink :) The only thing I don’t like about water Kefir granules is they seem to have a tendency to start making ‘hooch’, if you know what I mean.

MzPriss

I do know. I’m wondering if I can shorten the time it ferments and avoid that. Did you ever do the water grains in coconut water?

MzPriss

Oh and my kimchi is in the jar. I’m about to put together the batter for the cobbler. My berries are all washed and ready. I’m probably not going to cook them first like the recipe does with the peaches

Terri HarpLady

Good plan with the cobbler, I think. I need to make berry cobbler this week.
I have also made water kefir with coconut water, & it’s a lovely fuzzy drink, especially if you include a couple of slices of ginger in the fermentation! The Granules love it it & grow like crazy, but THAT one really has a strong tendency to turn into Hooch! LOL

MzPriss

Oh I want that though – with the ginger and coconut water, I’ll just try to watch the time. This is giving me all kinds of ideas though.

Terri HarpLady

Now I’m thinking I need to get new water kefir grains & give it another try :)

MzPriss

YES! We can be Mad Kefir Scientists!

Hey guys i figured out how to like tasting notes and im on a computer right now for the first time in months

boychik

I need to wait another month…

apt

I feel your pain

Custom blend: Harney & Sons Chamomile and Harney & Sons Yellow & Blue

I decided to reinfuse the spent sachets of these two teas and together they produced a fine second brew! I actually like this ratio of chamomile to lavender better than the Yellow & Blue alone, which sometimes seems too heavy on the lavender—depending on my mood.

OMG http://www.arborteas.com/pages/vanilla-chaiscream
Arbor Teas accepted my recipe submission guys! I’m stoked! :D
Go check out the recipe for my Vanilla Chaiscream and make yourself some! :D
If you try it, please tell me what you think! :D

TheTeaFairy

Congrats! Looks great :-)

mj

Congrats! It sounds amazing :-)

carol who

That recipe looks amazing! Great picture, too!

Arshness

Thanks! I took it myself. ^^ It was a little melt because I had to take several shots and it was soft serve but it is still representative of the end product. Haha :)

Let me know if you try it!

Veronica

That sounds so good! I’m going to have to try it this weekend.

Arshness

Woot! Let me know if you do! I can’t wait to hear feedback.
They said they’re going to include it in their next e-newsletter too!

I figure I could at least log this one. I had Odd Side Ale’s Afternoon Delight beer tonight at the bar. It’s got berry tea in it. I wasn’t that impressed, though. It does taste like berry and like tea…kind of like iced tea that was made from tea bags that sat in the tea too long. Oh well. It was interesting, and I only tried it because it was the tea beer.

mj

Have you ever tried sweet tea vodka? It’s dangerous!!

TheTeaFairy

I’ll try anything once if it’s got tea in it :-)

Cheri

Sweet tea vodka….interesting. I haven’t tried that. I may have to see if I can find an airplane bottle of it, just to try it.

And yes, this beer really has tea in it. That’s one of the things that Odd Side Ales does. They do some interesting beers, but they use the real thing to make it. We’re going Up North for the weekend, and one of the breweries I really like near where we’ll be does a Summer Sencha beer that I love. (I had it last year and loved it so much I got a growler to take home.) It’s also made with real tea.

I didn’t know where to post this tea review. It’s a new tea sample. I ordered the sample pack of Japanese teas on Ebay from Ebay seller yuu.choose. This tea is Suizawa Tokujou Kabusecha. All the little sample packets came with only Japanese writing on them and I didn’t know what was what. So I brought up the Ebay auction sample pack and matched symbols to their English translation and figured it out. I couldn’t find a company name anyway unless it’s Ise Tea.

No brewing instruction either so I used Yunomi brewing instructions. The first cup was very light (30 sec) but I loved it. A light grassy sweet tea. So delicate and tasty. Second brewing was 1 min and the tea brewed stronger. Still soooo beautifully sweet. Not a hint of bitterness. The colour of the tea was a bright green, like a matcha tea and tasted very grassy. I have to go back for another steep. This is so good. I definitely will consider buying more of this tea.

For those that are interested , the shipping was a bit slow with this seller but otherwise a good transaction.

Flavors: Grass, Sweet

0 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

T&C TTB 21/23

Numi Pettit flower: there was a picture guide to help tell them apart but none of them had the shape I was looking for but two had the color combination I was looking for.
After adding the water it was fun to watch it bloom to find a little reddish flower thing in the middle. After comparing the bloomed flower with the choices, I think I picked Dragon Lily. After reading what Dragon Lily tasted like “sweet apricot” I think I can taste apricot but I mostly smell and taste over cooked vegetables. Not sure what I picked but it was fun to try.

I did a little alchemy with some teas I had on hand that I thought would blend nicely—the unknown green tea I’ve spent a few notes on figuring out, an unknown white tea that was quite subtle with a light stonefruit note, and a few buds of Yabao from Whispering Pines. It turns out that the Yabao dominates, even though I only put two buds in this cup. The tea has that very fresh, light pine quality, with a bit of juicy vegetal sweetness. The green tea adds a very faint bitterness to the background, actually a good thing in this case. Overall it was fairly interesting, more full-bodied than Yabao by itself, with the fruitiness of the other teas somewhat tempered.

I also tried a sample that was Whittard English Rose Black Tea, but it was unlike the ones listed on Steepster—it specifically was stated to contain no petals. The tea was not marketed on the main Whittard site but sold by an authorized distributor overseas. This was a mellow black tea with a light floral note, but it did not smell or taste sharply of rose. There was also a touch of fresh apple in the aroma. It was a pretty enjoyable, gentle blend that was not overly perfumed, something I appreciate.

In conclusion…I need to get more teas soon.