Random Steepings

Tea
Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Flowers, Roasted, Creamy, Custard, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Apricot, Caramel, Grass, Jam, Astringent, Blueberry, Chestnut, Malt, Nutty, Sweet, Honey, Yams, Earth, Rose, Butter, Pastries, Salt, Ginger, Hay, Wood, Coffee, Cream, Chocolate, Spicy, Stonefruits, Hazelnut, Smoke, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2955 tasting notes
  • “pssst....i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “So Ceylon Star asked what kind of tea to mix up on facebook, and I immediately went into the kitchen and threw this desserty concoction together: 1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea 1/2 tsp...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1464 tasting notes
  • “Since I'm in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn't properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Custom blend: Harney & Sons Chamomile and Harney & Sons Yellow & Blue

I decided to reinfuse the spent sachets of these two teas and together they produced a fine second brew! I actually like this ratio of chamomile to lavender better than the Yellow & Blue alone, which sometimes seems too heavy on the lavender—depending on my mood.

OMG http://www.arborteas.com/pages/vanilla-chaiscream
Arbor Teas accepted my recipe submission guys! I’m stoked! :D
Go check out the recipe for my Vanilla Chaiscream and make yourself some! :D
If you try it, please tell me what you think! :D

TheTeaFairy

Congrats! Looks great :-)

mj

Congrats! It sounds amazing :-)

carol who

That recipe looks amazing! Great picture, too!

Arshness

Thanks! I took it myself. ^^ It was a little melt because I had to take several shots and it was soft serve but it is still representative of the end product. Haha :)

Let me know if you try it!

Veronica

That sounds so good! I’m going to have to try it this weekend.

Arshness

Woot! Let me know if you do! I can’t wait to hear feedback.
They said they’re going to include it in their next e-newsletter too!

I figure I could at least log this one. I had Odd Side Ale’s Afternoon Delight beer tonight at the bar. It’s got berry tea in it. I wasn’t that impressed, though. It does taste like berry and like tea…kind of like iced tea that was made from tea bags that sat in the tea too long. Oh well. It was interesting, and I only tried it because it was the tea beer.

mj

Have you ever tried sweet tea vodka? It’s dangerous!!

TheTeaFairy

I’ll try anything once if it’s got tea in it :-)

Cheri

Sweet tea vodka….interesting. I haven’t tried that. I may have to see if I can find an airplane bottle of it, just to try it.

And yes, this beer really has tea in it. That’s one of the things that Odd Side Ales does. They do some interesting beers, but they use the real thing to make it. We’re going Up North for the weekend, and one of the breweries I really like near where we’ll be does a Summer Sencha beer that I love. (I had it last year and loved it so much I got a growler to take home.) It’s also made with real tea.

I still have some Design A Tea samples in my cabinet untried! So this morning pulled out Chestnut Raspberry Oolong. Not bad! Definitely the chestnut flavour is prominent followed by lighter notes of raspberry. I’m not getting much of the oolong base because the chestnut is pretty strong but overall it’s still a pretty decent cup. It is after all my own weird combo. Definitely nice to try but not a winner for buying more. Of course Design a Tea makes it so easy to try out many different combos.

T&C TTB 21/23

Numi Pettit flower: there was a picture guide to help tell them apart but none of them had the shape I was looking for but two had the color combination I was looking for.
After adding the water it was fun to watch it bloom to find a little reddish flower thing in the middle. After comparing the bloomed flower with the choices, I think I picked Dragon Lily. After reading what Dragon Lily tasted like “sweet apricot” I think I can taste apricot but I mostly smell and taste over cooked vegetables. Not sure what I picked but it was fun to try.

An update on the mysterious, unidentified, probably-Longjing green tea:

I took a small amount out of the original tin and stored it in a small plastic container for bringing to work. I didn’t end up drinking it at work, and it remained in the cupboard. After about a week, I noticed that the container didn’t completely snap shut at one corner, so while there wasn’t a gap that could have allowed any objects to get in or fall out, the tea had probably been exposed to outside air to some extent. Seeing as it was probably perfectly fine and hadn’t been exposed to moisture or other strongly-scented teas, I thought I would still give it a try. And it was…a lot better?

The aroma and taste now have a very subtle, smooth sweetness I usually associate with good quality white teas. It’s nothing artificial or external. There’s something reminiscent of malt sugar and candied plums. Furthermore, this tea used to have a strong, lingering note that I couldn’t identify, which I did not really like—something like burnt bamboo, if I really had to stretch my imagination. Now, after storage, that note is completely gone. If I were giving ratings (a somewhat futile endeavor for the “random steepings” category), this one would have just jumped up by 20 points. Anyone have any input on what might have happened here? The container had not previously housed any flavored or scented items. Everything is clean and the tea definitely hasn’t spoiled.

Chocolate Energy Tea
Tea Man

Black tea, yerba mate, chocolate extract

Still working on polishing this off at work. The more I drink it the more I enjoy it though. I think I need to make sure I keep a chocolate tea at work. It’s soothing.

I did find the French press in the top back of the pantry, and pulled it down, intending to bring it to work today… set it on the kitchen island and promptly forgot all about it until I went to make tea at work this morning. Whoops.

TheTeaFairy

I love using the French press for tea, it’s so easy and the leaves can breathe!

Skulleigh

I will probably give it a washup and a trial run tomorrow as I work from home then, so it will be easier to judge how I like using it from there.

First, I love how the tasting note of this one say Flowers, Stonefruits, Honey, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest… Yet I get none of that in my blend :)

Spring is finally here and I’m enjoying with that the possibilities of new iced tea flavors. Late this week I went to an old favorite though… the iced tea I grew up on and have always loved in the summertime. My mom used to make this and it would disappear so fast we wondered where it could have gone.

I have a 3 qt iced tea maker I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago. I didn’t know how much I would use one, so a cheapy worked for me. I use 7-8 teabags, usually orange pekoe I believe although the box I have right now just says black tea, and decaf because I tend to drink this all day and wonder why can’t sleep if I use regular. I’m not terribly picky about the brand because the base isn’t the star of the show.. although I may change my mind now that I’ve been introduced to better tea choices. Then I add a generous handful of spearmint sprigs, rinsed and then squeezed to release oils, to the steeping basket as well. 3/4 of a cup of sugar to the pitcher w/some ice and we’re good to go. I sometimes add a pinch of baking soda if I remember because it’s said to help the flavor, but I often forget.. I haven’t noticed much difference myself. After it’s done steeping, I fill the pitcher the rest of the way with water and let it chill in the fridge, if it even makes it there.

I’ve been carrying this around in my Tervis the last half of this week… Yeah for running into a factory outlet while on a road trip :). and Yeah for the memories this tea brings of mom making it in time for when dad would come in from working in the fields.

I’m looking forward to introducing more flavors and varieties to our summer tea choices but know this will always be a staple .. especially when friends & family are over, they always love it. Thinking I will hunt down some peppermint and chocolate mint plants for my garden this year so I can experiment with those as well… maybe even some verbena ?

carol who

I love my Tervis tumblers. There is a factory outlet near where my mother lives in Florida. I can never resist checking them out! I always seem to come home with another tumbler I just can’t resist.

Suziqzer

Each person in my family has one and we’ve enjoyed them so far. Nice and convenient with the lids and insulated walls.

I’ll borrow this heading for a lovely cuppa I enjoyed last evening: despite my bumbling and splotchy skill as a gardener, our potted mint plants are doing beautifully. Last night I had my first steeping from the applemint plant. Ten fresh leaves, crushed, a good eight minutes in the cup. The mint was gentle, not sharp. Don’t know that I was specifically getting apple, but there was some soft fruitiness in the background. Quite pleasant.

Christina

Ooh, that sounds lovely. I had some tea a few nights ago that was just black bagged tea with fresh mint, and the mint made it taste wonderful. What exactly is applemint, though?

Suziqzer

I’ve not heard of applemint.. does it smell of fruit? Fresh mint is always great!

Terri HarpLady

My mints are all up & thriving, along with some cilantro that self-seeded. I’m thinking I need to make a vietnamese salad for lunch tomorrow.

Suziqzer

Yum.. Fresh garden salsa w/home grown cilantro.. Where is summer ?

gmathis

K S sent a sample of homegrown chocolate mint (which really had some cocoa taste going in the background) last summer. That prompted a visit to local nursery to discover how many mint varieties there are. We tried three: applemint, orange mint, and chocolate mint. Tried a steep of the orange last night, and it was more true to its name. We also saw a pineapple mint.

Terri HarpLady

I have a few mints here, & although I’m not always a big fan of mint in my tea, I do enjoy them in my salad, & nothing says ‘refreshing’ more than a few sprigs of mint in a glass of cold water!

gmathis

I would’ve never thought of mint in a salad, but we’ll give it a try—maybe with a little spinach and strawberry vinaigrette…?

Terri HarpLady

I usually feature it in a vietnamese style salad, with shredded asian cabbage, grated carrot, thinly sliced radishes, cilantro, green onions, & a dressing of fish sauce )or soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, a little maple, & toasted sesame oil. I think that’s everything! Toasted cashews make a nice addition to the salad. Traditionally it has chicken on it, but you can put anything on it. Goi Ga is the actual salad’s name. I had it at Mai Lee restaurant here in st. louis once, then found a recipe & have been eating it ever since. Although I haven’t had it for awhile.

And here’s a recipe!
I’ve never tried this recipe, but it looks about right.
Also, I don’t really care much for chicken. When I was a vegan I ate this with smoked tofu, or crispy fried tofu triangles, or tempe, or extra nuts. Otherwise, you can put any form of protein on it.

gmathis

Thanks! Sounds like a “make it once and eat it all week at work” recipe. I’ve been needing to get a small bottle of fish sauce—it keeps cropping up in things I want to try.

Terri HarpLady

I adore fish sauce, LOL. I recommend red boat brand, but if you can’t get red boat, Thai kitchen is pretty good too.
Regarding the salad, I’ve been known to make a very big pile of it, along with a large batch of the dressing in a jar, & just grab a handful for lunch (and maybe again for dinner), using different toppings as fits my mood. I pretty much lived off that salad during the last 3 months of my son Leif’s pregnancy (and he still weighed over 10#).

Hey Steepster, it’s been a while! I’ve missed y’all! Is Steepster back to normal? I hope so!

My parents came for a visit for five days, so there wasn’t as much time for tea drinking and practically none for reviewing. The next day, I left for the east coast and just got back tonight. I need more vacation to recover, although I had a fabulous time!

While the parents were in town, I introduced my mom to GO, which she loved of course. I made her some of my David’s Teas as well as she’s not really into tea and prefers the flavored to unflavored. She particularly enjoyed chocolate rocket and I sent her home with a box of Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride since she declared that she couldn’t be bothered with loose leaf. And she helped me organize all my teas and they’re now in labeled boxes on a nifty tea cart, which I think is adorable.

The day my parents left, I got home from work late but wanted to sit down and enjoy one tea damnit. I picked the Jabberwocky, which for some unfathomable reason I’ve been ignoring. Mmmm, bready, buttery, caramel-y, chocolately goodness with a fresh breeze finish. That tea is fantastic!

The next day I had to arrive at work super early to leave by noon to catch my plane to Maryland. I road tripped with the BF up the east coast to Boston and spent most of the time there, which was AWESOME! I love Boston so much and I want to move there STAT.
I did indulge in a little tea tourism there, stopping by Tealuxe (thanks to a stellar recommendation from christeana1) and David’s Tea, because I’ve never been to an actual location before.

At Tealuxe, I had my first bubble tea and the ever-patient BF was quite pleased to introduce me to a type of tea I hadn’t had before. I had the Caramel Creme Brulee black tea and the BF got the Strawberry sencha green (both as bubble teas). The caramel creme brulee was pleasant and the flavor was subtly done, not too in your face at all. I have to say that I mainly got caramel and was missed that burnt sugar taste, but I liked it and the bubbles were fun. The strawberry sencha green bubble tea tasted just like strawberry milk, like the employee told me it would. Props to Tealuxe for having friendly, knowledgeable employees and a super cute store that reminded me of Ollivander’s wand shop in the best way! I picked up some Darjeeling Silver Tips that I’m excited to try.

The main goal at David’s Tea was to sign up for the frequent steeper program, which was accomplished. I tried a couple of the new fall teas while I was there, maple sugar and sweet apple cider. Both were tasty and pretty much what you’d expect. I did enjoy the apple element to the maple sugar and the BF liked it too. He just sat in a corner and was like “Go talk about tea with people, I’ll be over here” lol. So I did. Again, the employees were very knowledgeable and friendly even though the store was pretty busy. One wanted to know how I found out about David’s and I told him about Steepster, which he said he probably needed to join! Their new multicolor leaf mug and raccoon mug are super cute, but I managed to resist. It was easier to resist because the BF did buy me an absolutely beautiful (if I do say so myself) new mug at the Museum of Fine Art gift shop like the day before:
Also, the MFA had a whole teapot exhibit! Squeeee!!
Anyway, back to David’s Tea. Their new dandelion teapot and cups are ADORABLE and I want them, but didn’t buy them. No room for lots of teaware :(. I did pick up some oolong though, their pouchong and tie kwan yin. I haven’t really tried any of their plain oolongs yet, so I’m looking forward to that. Their store was also quite cute:

We had dim sum today before I left and I really liked the oolong so I inquired what tea it was. The waiter looked in the pot and said “oolong”, to which I replied “I know, but what kind of oolong?”. He looked it the pot again and said some string of gibberish that may or may not have been actual words, finished by “this oolong”. Um, thanks? LOL

I’m back home now and hanging with one of my favorite teas, yunnan silver needle by whispering pines. Just what I need to relax with before I have to go back to work (boo hiss).

TheTeaFairy

That review was so entertaining, thanks for sharing!
And yo, gibberish oolong? That’s one I’ve never tried, LOL!!!

mj

Thanks TTF :). LOL, too bad about the gibberish oolong. It was quite pleasant and probably economical too.

boychik

i wish my hubby was so patient;) Glad you had fun ;-)

mj

boychik, he is ever so patient. It’s one of the things that’s great about him! And thanks, I had a blast!

hippiechick 42

Love this review!

christeana1

Im so glad you enjoyed boston! I loved reading this review!

mj

Thanks, hippiechick and christeana!

Hillel

Well damn! I wish I’d know you were in town. We could have arranged a tea party. Sounds like you got your fill of tea while you were here though. When’s the next time you’re coming through?

mj

Hey Hillel! This trip was crazy because the BF was in the middle of moving to Boston and we didn’t have any of his stuff yet so we were basically camping in his empty apartment (with no way to make tea!). That’s why I didn’t try to set anything up. I don’t have my next trip planned yet, but I’ll probably be visiting every month or two. We should totally have a tea party! I think Sherapop and Christeana1 are also in/near Boston.