Random Steepings

Apricot, Muscatel, Sweet, Dried Fruit, Pepper, Raisins, Vegetal, Nuts, Smoke, Butter, Hazelnut, Vanilla, Dust, Earth, Herbaceous, Taro Root, Brandy, Caramel, Floral, Honey, Smooth, Hay, Creamy, Seaweed, Sugar, Grass, Powdered sugar, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Malt, Almond, Citrus, Cookie, Nutty, Roasted, Tobacco, Cucumber, Pumpkin, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Camphor, Vinegar, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Flowers, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Astringent, Blueberry, Chestnut, Fruity, Mango, Tart, Jasmine, Plums, Vegetables, Yams, Rose, Pastries, Salt, Ginger, Wood, Coffee, Cream, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Bitter, Toast, Spicy, Stonefruits, Burnt Sugar, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

I was working in the garden yesterday, cleaning it up, and planted a couple of things even though it’s a bit too early to do that. It was really hot yesterday, so I’m really glad that I had a cold brew going on.

In the box was hibiscus from Sadaf (I couldn’t find this in the database and didn’t feel like putting it in). I’m not generally a fan of overly tart food and beverage items, so I surprised myself by cold brewing this up. With lots of rock sugar. And you know what? It was very tasty and refreshing after all that gardening. Another surprise tea that I will probably pick up.

I think that one’s mine from the previous round. It was originally given to me by an Iranian friend who didn’t realize that I HATE hibiscus. So I’m glad someone out there is enjoying it. :)

Haha – I admit, I did have to add quite a bit of rock sugar. If I knew it went around a couple of times, I would have taken it all. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Drinking one of my oldest herbals tonight, Honeybush and Rooibos that I picked up on my Swaziland trip. I cannot believe that was 8 months ago already. Regardless, this one is perfect for when I want something simple. I still like it best with some honey added :)

Today was such a completely awful day. I knew I needed something extra special to comfort me. So, I decided to mix a portion of my Premium Taiwanese Assam with Whispering Pine’s Imperial Gold Bud Dian Hong and add some pure ground vanilla. This hit the spot perfectly. It was sweet, creamy, malty, chocolatey, caramely and vanillay goodness. This cup did not make it long since I couldn’t stop drinking it. I’m crossing my fingers that the rest of the day is just a bit better.

Aww no, I hope tomorrow will be better for you. :(

Butiki Teas

Thank you, Fjellrev! :) For now, I’ll just be hiding out.

Oh no! Sorry to hear you had an awful day, but here’s hoping that tea was the start of an amazing come back day of you. Sounds like a lovely tea, and could make anyone’s bad day turn around. :)

Hope the day improves and that tomorrow is completely the opposite.

Butiki Teas

Thank you yyz & Amariel!! :)

This note is for my custom, Florida-grown tea by Single Origin Teas

First of all, I ordered a green tea, using the bud and the first leaf and with a soft rolling.

Forget Florida for a minute. Transport your mind to China, to Zhejiang Province, to the village of Longjing. Taste the longjing tea, the buttery, hazelnut-y liquor, perfect in every way.

Now, open your eyes. What’s that? It’s a tea from Florida and not longjing? I couldn’t tell the difference. Seriously. That’s how good this is. I felt like I was drinking some really good dragonwell tea, not something that was handmade for me.

Thank you, James for this experience.. If I could order an ounce or two, please let me know.

Flavors: Butter, Hazelnut

Thanks for reviewing! I was curious about this opportunity.

I was honestly shocked at the taste and quality, Nichole. Obviously the tea, itself, isn’t worth the price, but helping James being able to mass produce and hopefully get this tea into more hands is definitely worth it :)

Awesome. I was intrigued by this when I saw the post. I’ll have to keep it in mind.

That’s awesome! I should do a note for my black tea from him.

Single Origin Teas

Thanks! I’ve been away on holiday (visiting all the tea shops in San Fran and Berkeley), thank you so much for your kind words! It got a hot wok (and by wok I mean frying pan) finish, so that may help to explain some of the tasting experience!

So this is actually just a note to the lovely people who follow me on Steepster. I know I’ve been gone for a while, but I have my reasons! School got super crazy stupid busy, then my grandmother was in the hospital (I live with her), then I was on vacation, then I was back at the hospital with my grandmother, and now I am home. I really haven’t been drinking tea, because when I get busy, I forget to make tea. Which stinks. I’m hoping as I settle back into my normal schedule, that my tea intake will come back up. :) I’ve missed reading all of the reviews and forums… So I guess I’m saying- “I’m alive!”

Good to see you back. :)

We’ve missed you :D

I went for an early spring hike today! It felt so good to re-charge and to reconnect with the beauty of nature. I’m sorry (not sorry) to sound cheesy, but I was feeling all crusted and stale from the drain of city life. I need to do some earthing to connect myself to the big blue planet around me. Just hearing the absence of sound for a couple of hours made me feel so much better. Nothing but the wind through the trees. No cars, no airplanes, no people. A rare bird song every now and again, but mostly silence and the sound of my feet. It was still a little snowy here and there, but nothing too bad that the trail became too slushy. I was pretty lucky to make it back to my car before it began snowing. ahh, pure bliss.
So the tea that I brought with me was my homemade version of Celestial Seasoning’s Morning Thunder. I used to love that stuff. It was ideal for my hike today. It was smoky, and robust, and really seriously warming.
I used:
.5g of Tippy’s Lumberjack + 3g Capital Tea LTD’s Meleng Estate Assam + 2g Roasted Yerba Mate. I threw in a couple of cinnamon chips as well. It turned out to be pretty much perfect.

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
leaf in hot water

sounds so good!

Liquid Proust

I have also found roasted/pan fried teas mix quite well with black teas

I would go sans Lumberjack next time, and perhaps use a Ceylon with deeper honey notes or a keemun. It was a great trial run though!

Empty Stomach + Matcha + Young Sheng = Party time

Forgot to mention I started the day with matcha empty stomach followed my young sheng…. needless to say I felt like puking. When I say felt like puking I don’t mean “oh em gee that girls instagram is gross, puke” I mean you are 6-7 shots deep on cheap plastic handle vodka and your friends say one more ! with results in your mouth uncontrollable mouth watering to lubricate the reverse of traffic out of your esophagus tandem with the involuntary crunches like an impromptu 6 min abs video.

Now Im sure many of you are saying duh empty stomach matcha alone should equal you on your knees praying to the porcelain gods but I was always the Macho man, back to back young raw bulang on empty stomach and low fat diet, routinely start my day off with matcha if I needed to be up and alert for extended hours, etc. But my limit seems to be the masochistic combination of empty+ matcha+ young sheng

Apologizes if any of this is lowbrow but it is more for my reference than anything and if I could make some of these private I would

This review had me laughing so hard I choked on my tea! I enjoy anecdotes on tea notes, it keeps things interesting.

Jiāng Luo

thanks glad to hear I didn’t offend anyone Ive been holding this stuff back but matcha removes much of my social filters and inhibitions

I.Am. Trying. So. Hard. To. Acquire. The Liking. For. Black. Tea.

This ‘BS’ is one deep tea, but.. it’s a black base… but… but… I want to taste and experience what others have/will!!!

Took me a while too. I had to drink it western style if a mug without thinking about it too much, but now I enjoy it. Some of the time.

Have you tried Honey Black from Green Terrance Teas? I think you’d like that one. It’s simple but quite nice.
What does BS stand for?

I believe it is Blackberry Sage

Your tastes will change over time and you may grow to love black teas…. or may not. Just go with the flow! I was never a lover of black teas but I have a few favourites now. There are certain elements/tastes of some black teas that I will never like though.

Dr Jim

For a lot of us, black tea was the only kind of tea we knew. I remember how excited I was to discover “Formosa Oolong” in 1972.

Same here, my palette just refuses to accept black tea and ripe puerh. It’s greens and oolongs all the way for me.

Butiki Educational TTB

Kenya White #2

The day is winding down to an end, and my stress is still through the roof. I picked this to calm me before bed time. I have never had a Kenyan White before and was very interested. I am hoping the magic properties of African tea will mystically relax me, haha. The dry leaf is similar to Bai Hao Yin Zhen except its more twiggy. They resemble small silver pins and sticks. They are a brilliant white and gray color. I brewed these in my tea press. The aroma is of wet hay and summer dew. The aroma from my cup is like a wheat field after a rainstorm. The flavor was very unique. It was a syrupy hay. It tasted like green hay and with a sweet after-tone of sugar cookies. This was nice before bed. I really liked this tea, and it was very interesting.

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Powdered sugar

Yay Random Steepings! Seems like the most popular selection on Steepster these days.

Hahah if they had a company and actual title I would post them there. This seems to be the place to post unnamed teas….

This tea is from Lulu, a generous random sample that was sent out for what seems to be an upstart online business. It is a sun moon lake black tea from taiwan.

The leaves are LONG, thin, and spindly, and of course, black. They smell like honey, with a hint of straw. Quite nice, but this is def a tea that you would want to measure by weight, not by a tsp, just because of how difficult it is to get them in the spoon.

Not having any type of food scale, i just guessed about how much i should use, about 3 quite empty tsp lol, and 10 oz of water at 190 for 4 min.

the liquor was a nice, dark red with a brown tinge. It tasted quite light, possibly due to me not using enough leaf, possibly because thats just how the tea is. either way, it was still nice. It had the nice malty flavor of a black, with faint hints of chocolate. i have heard mentioned that this type of tea has a kind of cinnamon taste, and while it diddnt come though for me, there was SOMETHING there, almost spicy like, but not really. so in hindsight, i might not have used enough leaf. But this tea was still quite nice.

Over all, to me, this tea reminded me alot of golden monkey, only maybe replacing golden monkeys straw like flavor with a hint of spice. Im quite pleased with this tea, but i think i prefer golden monkey slightly more.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Malt