Random Steepings

Tea
Dust, Earth, Herbaceous, Taro Root, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Malt, Almond, Citrus, Cookie, Nutty, Roasted, Sweet, Tobacco, Cucumber, Nuts, Pumpkin, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Camphor, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Flowers, Creamy, Custard, Nutmeg, Vanilla, Apricot, Caramel, Grass, Jam, Astringent, Blueberry, Chestnut, Fruity, Mango, Tart, Jasmine, Plums, Honey, Yams, Rose, Butter, Pastries, Salt, Ginger, Hay, Wood, Coffee, Cream, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Spicy, Stonefruits, Hazelnut, Smoke, Burnt Sugar, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Custom blend: Harney & Sons Chamomile and Harney & Sons Yellow & Blue

I decided to reinfuse the spent sachets of these two teas and together they produced a fine second brew! I actually like this ratio of chamomile to lavender better than the Yellow & Blue alone, which sometimes seems too heavy on the lavender—depending on my mood.

OMG http://www.arborteas.com/pages/vanilla-chaiscream
Arbor Teas accepted my recipe submission guys! I’m stoked! :D
Go check out the recipe for my Vanilla Chaiscream and make yourself some! :D
If you try it, please tell me what you think! :D

TheTeaFairy

Congrats! Looks great :-)

mj

Congrats! It sounds amazing :-)

carol who

That recipe looks amazing! Great picture, too!

Arshness

Thanks! I took it myself. ^^ It was a little melt because I had to take several shots and it was soft serve but it is still representative of the end product. Haha :)

Let me know if you try it!

Veronica

That sounds so good! I’m going to have to try it this weekend.

Arshness

Woot! Let me know if you do! I can’t wait to hear feedback.
They said they’re going to include it in their next e-newsletter too!

I figure I could at least log this one. I had Odd Side Ale’s Afternoon Delight beer tonight at the bar. It’s got berry tea in it. I wasn’t that impressed, though. It does taste like berry and like tea…kind of like iced tea that was made from tea bags that sat in the tea too long. Oh well. It was interesting, and I only tried it because it was the tea beer.

mj

Have you ever tried sweet tea vodka? It’s dangerous!!

TheTeaFairy

I’ll try anything once if it’s got tea in it :-)

Cheri

Sweet tea vodka….interesting. I haven’t tried that. I may have to see if I can find an airplane bottle of it, just to try it.

And yes, this beer really has tea in it. That’s one of the things that Odd Side Ales does. They do some interesting beers, but they use the real thing to make it. We’re going Up North for the weekend, and one of the breweries I really like near where we’ll be does a Summer Sencha beer that I love. (I had it last year and loved it so much I got a growler to take home.) It’s also made with real tea.

I didn’t know where to post this tea review. It’s a new tea sample. I ordered the sample pack of Japanese teas on Ebay from Ebay seller yuu.choose. This tea is Suizawa Tokujou Kabusecha. All the little sample packets came with only Japanese writing on them and I didn’t know what was what. So I brought up the Ebay auction sample pack and matched symbols to their English translation and figured it out. I couldn’t find a company name anyway unless it’s Ise Tea.

No brewing instruction either so I used Yunomi brewing instructions. The first cup was very light (30 sec) but I loved it. A light grassy sweet tea. So delicate and tasty. Second brewing was 1 min and the tea brewed stronger. Still soooo beautifully sweet. Not a hint of bitterness. The colour of the tea was a bright green, like a matcha tea and tasted very grassy. I have to go back for another steep. This is so good. I definitely will consider buying more of this tea.

For those that are interested , the shipping was a bit slow with this seller but otherwise a good transaction.

Flavors: Grass, Sweet

0 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

T&C TTB 21/23

Numi Pettit flower: there was a picture guide to help tell them apart but none of them had the shape I was looking for but two had the color combination I was looking for.
After adding the water it was fun to watch it bloom to find a little reddish flower thing in the middle. After comparing the bloomed flower with the choices, I think I picked Dragon Lily. After reading what Dragon Lily tasted like “sweet apricot” I think I can taste apricot but I mostly smell and taste over cooked vegetables. Not sure what I picked but it was fun to try.

I did a little alchemy with some teas I had on hand that I thought would blend nicely—the unknown green tea I’ve spent a few notes on figuring out, an unknown white tea that was quite subtle with a light stonefruit note, and a few buds of Yabao from Whispering Pines. It turns out that the Yabao dominates, even though I only put two buds in this cup. The tea has that very fresh, light pine quality, with a bit of juicy vegetal sweetness. The green tea adds a very faint bitterness to the background, actually a good thing in this case. Overall it was fairly interesting, more full-bodied than Yabao by itself, with the fruitiness of the other teas somewhat tempered.

I also tried a sample that was Whittard English Rose Black Tea, but it was unlike the ones listed on Steepster—it specifically was stated to contain no petals. The tea was not marketed on the main Whittard site but sold by an authorized distributor overseas. This was a mellow black tea with a light floral note, but it did not smell or taste sharply of rose. There was also a touch of fresh apple in the aroma. It was a pretty enjoyable, gentle blend that was not overly perfumed, something I appreciate.

In conclusion…I need to get more teas soon.

Chocolate Energy Tea
Tea Man

Black tea, yerba mate, chocolate extract

Still working on polishing this off at work. The more I drink it the more I enjoy it though. I think I need to make sure I keep a chocolate tea at work. It’s soothing.

I did find the French press in the top back of the pantry, and pulled it down, intending to bring it to work today… set it on the kitchen island and promptly forgot all about it until I went to make tea at work this morning. Whoops.

TheTeaFairy

I love using the French press for tea, it’s so easy and the leaves can breathe!

Skulleigh

I will probably give it a washup and a trial run tomorrow as I work from home then, so it will be easier to judge how I like using it from there.

First, I love how the tasting note of this one say Flowers, Stonefruits, Honey, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest… Yet I get none of that in my blend :)

Spring is finally here and I’m enjoying with that the possibilities of new iced tea flavors. Late this week I went to an old favorite though… the iced tea I grew up on and have always loved in the summertime. My mom used to make this and it would disappear so fast we wondered where it could have gone.

I have a 3 qt iced tea maker I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago. I didn’t know how much I would use one, so a cheapy worked for me. I use 7-8 teabags, usually orange pekoe I believe although the box I have right now just says black tea, and decaf because I tend to drink this all day and wonder why can’t sleep if I use regular. I’m not terribly picky about the brand because the base isn’t the star of the show.. although I may change my mind now that I’ve been introduced to better tea choices. Then I add a generous handful of spearmint sprigs, rinsed and then squeezed to release oils, to the steeping basket as well. 3/4 of a cup of sugar to the pitcher w/some ice and we’re good to go. I sometimes add a pinch of baking soda if I remember because it’s said to help the flavor, but I often forget.. I haven’t noticed much difference myself. After it’s done steeping, I fill the pitcher the rest of the way with water and let it chill in the fridge, if it even makes it there.

I’ve been carrying this around in my Tervis the last half of this week… Yeah for running into a factory outlet while on a road trip :). and Yeah for the memories this tea brings of mom making it in time for when dad would come in from working in the fields.

I’m looking forward to introducing more flavors and varieties to our summer tea choices but know this will always be a staple .. especially when friends & family are over, they always love it. Thinking I will hunt down some peppermint and chocolate mint plants for my garden this year so I can experiment with those as well… maybe even some verbena ?

carol who

I love my Tervis tumblers. There is a factory outlet near where my mother lives in Florida. I can never resist checking them out! I always seem to come home with another tumbler I just can’t resist.

Suziqzer

Each person in my family has one and we’ve enjoyed them so far. Nice and convenient with the lids and insulated walls.

I’ll borrow this heading for a lovely cuppa I enjoyed last evening: despite my bumbling and splotchy skill as a gardener, our potted mint plants are doing beautifully. Last night I had my first steeping from the applemint plant. Ten fresh leaves, crushed, a good eight minutes in the cup. The mint was gentle, not sharp. Don’t know that I was specifically getting apple, but there was some soft fruitiness in the background. Quite pleasant.

Christina

Ooh, that sounds lovely. I had some tea a few nights ago that was just black bagged tea with fresh mint, and the mint made it taste wonderful. What exactly is applemint, though?

Suziqzer

I’ve not heard of applemint.. does it smell of fruit? Fresh mint is always great!

Terri HarpLady

My mints are all up & thriving, along with some cilantro that self-seeded. I’m thinking I need to make a vietnamese salad for lunch tomorrow.

Suziqzer

Yum.. Fresh garden salsa w/home grown cilantro.. Where is summer ?

gmathis

K S sent a sample of homegrown chocolate mint (which really had some cocoa taste going in the background) last summer. That prompted a visit to local nursery to discover how many mint varieties there are. We tried three: applemint, orange mint, and chocolate mint. Tried a steep of the orange last night, and it was more true to its name. We also saw a pineapple mint.

Terri HarpLady

I have a few mints here, & although I’m not always a big fan of mint in my tea, I do enjoy them in my salad, & nothing says ‘refreshing’ more than a few sprigs of mint in a glass of cold water!

gmathis

I would’ve never thought of mint in a salad, but we’ll give it a try—maybe with a little spinach and strawberry vinaigrette…?

Terri HarpLady

I usually feature it in a vietnamese style salad, with shredded asian cabbage, grated carrot, thinly sliced radishes, cilantro, green onions, & a dressing of fish sauce )or soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, a little maple, & toasted sesame oil. I think that’s everything! Toasted cashews make a nice addition to the salad. Traditionally it has chicken on it, but you can put anything on it. Goi Ga is the actual salad’s name. I had it at Mai Lee restaurant here in st. louis once, then found a recipe & have been eating it ever since. Although I haven’t had it for awhile.

And here’s a recipe!
I’ve never tried this recipe, but it looks about right.
Also, I don’t really care much for chicken. When I was a vegan I ate this with smoked tofu, or crispy fried tofu triangles, or tempe, or extra nuts. Otherwise, you can put any form of protein on it.

gmathis

Thanks! Sounds like a “make it once and eat it all week at work” recipe. I’ve been needing to get a small bottle of fish sauce—it keeps cropping up in things I want to try.

Terri HarpLady

I adore fish sauce, LOL. I recommend red boat brand, but if you can’t get red boat, Thai kitchen is pretty good too.
Regarding the salad, I’ve been known to make a very big pile of it, along with a large batch of the dressing in a jar, & just grab a handful for lunch (and maybe again for dinner), using different toppings as fits my mood. I pretty much lived off that salad during the last 3 months of my son Leif’s pregnancy (and he still weighed over 10#).