Random Steepings

Tea
Honey, Malt, Sweet, Yams, Earth, Rose, Butter, Caramel, Pastries, Salt, Flowers, Ginger, Grass, Hay, Wood, Coffee, Cream, Vanilla, Chocolate, Spicy, Stonefruits, Hazelnut, Smoke, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

4 Images

• “Yes, I drank tea today. Yes, I am lazy, but I was also busy all day, so in an effort to not post lame reviews about teas I drank hours ago, & have reviewed plenty of times, I am once again going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2913 tasting notes
  • “pssst....i had a bit of tea today. but it was family time with extended family in town for a day and my parents up for the weekend. more to come tomorrow afternoon once everyone is gone. Miss you...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4862 tasting notes
  • “So Ceylon Star asked what kind of tea to mix up on facebook, and I immediately went into the kitchen and threw this desserty concoction together: 1/2 tsp Bossa Nova (oolong) from Zen Tea 1/2 tsp...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1425 tasting notes
  • “Since I'm in the neighborhood, I stopped by press tea and had the Wild Himalayan Black Tea. Last time I had it with cream and I felt I couldn't properly gauge how the pressed tea compared to a...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

I don’t feel like writing separate reviews for the three teas I’ve had already today, so I’ll just summarize here: I’m basically drinking all the spring teas I have lol. A temp near 10 degrees melting away all of yesterday’s snow demands spring teas. Today I’ve had:

Jasmine bouquet – Verdant – an excellent tea, possibly my favorite white tea blend yet
Jingshan Earl Green – Verdant – refreshing and bright to match the sunshine
Sundried jingshan green – keeping with the jingshan theme, I’m having a gaiwan session with this fresh green tea right now

Its sunny and I feel motivated. I had a wonderful visit with a great friend yesterday and this morning, I don’t see her nearly enough since she moved cities, and it was wonderful to catch up. Then I vacuumed up the living room and most of the main floor and am now waiting for mom to come by before we head out to my parents place for easter. I should get packing soon lol. Anyways, wonderful tea on this lovely long weekend!

Rant:Ugh, I can not wait for this freaken week and semester to end. I spent the night in the art build finishing my final 2d art project. Started around 10 pm and finally went to sleep around 4:40 on a bench in the building; my class starts at 8:30. At least it seems like people liked it.

That being said, I have com to the conclusion that when you are running on 2.5 hours of sleep food tastes 30% than normal; though McDonald’s would still suck. I am not even going to go into the laborious details on how crappy my time at UCF has been here, but I am so glad I am never coming back and will be able to get a better education at my old school; it is now offering my degree.

Tea

I have been getting a lot of my lunches at this pita place on campus. They let you get a combo with small side salads and a choice of drink; obliviously went for the tea. I don’t know what temp their hot water contain maintains at, but I have never gotten a bad cup of tea for any of the bags I have tried; and I tried a lot of brands. Today I mixed Twinings Darjeeling and a bag of Twinings pomegranate-raspberry I think is what it was called. The clean floral taste of the Darjeeling blends well with the fruity flavors, the latter of which is the dominate flavor.

mmhhhh, food.

If you have a chance to try that combo, go for it.

I went to the coolest place for dinner today. Chefs from awesome restaurants in the area all contribute a sandwich recipe, and they are all offered at this cafe. Anyway, seeing as it is a weeknight, I decided to order the mint peach iced tea over an alcoholic beverage. It was a bit too minty for my taste, but it was a nice sweet tea. Plus, it was refreshing on this very warm evening. Just thought I’d share :)

Courtney

That sounds very cool!

I cheated on my tea tonight and had a homemade old fashioned chocolate soda.

Stephanie

I love chocolate soda. Haven’t had one in forever. My grandmother introduced me to them :) Still my favorite. I’ll take one over a milkshake any day.

boychik

how do you make it? i might make it for kids if i have everything on hand.

Marzipan

It’s chocolate syrup, soda water, vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.
You take the chocolate syrup and mix it with either some of the soda water or the whipped cream in the bottom of the cup (to loosen it up). Then scoops of ice cream on top of that, then pour in the soda water and mix it around so the chocolate spreads throughout it (if you don’t loosen the chocolate first this is really difficult). Whipped cream on top if you like it. My daughter makes hers without whipped cream in the bottom but I like the creaminess it adds to it. Then serve with a straw and a spoon.

Stephanie

I usually get mine double chocolate- Chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla!!!

No idea where to categorize this tea or feel there’s a need to start a new tea entry on Steepster for it.

Anyways, drinking a pomelo herbal tea I found in Honolulu, just off a small shop in the mall. No labels on the tea, ti even came out “bulk bin” style. Expensiiiive! Looks like little cubes of melon, pineapple and other citrus. No apple (interestingly, herbals do like loading on apple for filler). I used 4t for a tumbler of iced tea, steeped for 8 minutes. The flavor is interesting. A little zesty and melony. Kinda grapefruity, but not like a pomelo really. It’s good, could be better.
Darn this tea was expensive, and heavy.

I have never had a bubble tea before. I was on an architectural tour in Chicago. We stopped at the French Marketfor a bit. Of course, I zoomed in on the shop selling tea. They had too many choices of loose leaf to make a decision quickly so instead I chose to try a bubble tea. I got a margarita bubble tea. Totally yummy, loved the tapioca bubbles but… where is the tea? Maybe there is a variety that is more tea-ish, but I didn’t taste tea at all. Altogether a lovely drink but I don’t understand the use of the word tea. Maybe they were originally less a flavored drink, more tea.

Marzipan

Where in Chicago is the French market? I’ll be there next week.

carol who

Canal St. between Randolph and Washington. It’s not very big but it is worth exploring. I’m not too sure why it is the “French” market as it seems to have a lot of other foods. The French pastries did look very good. Have fun in Chicago!

Marzipan

Was there one of the stalls with a great selection to buy, or was it just to drink there?

carol who

There was a stall with a selection of teas. Some looked good. It was too crowded to get much service or smell any teas. I would have liked to check them out more but I was in a tour group so I only had a few minutes. The prices were around $5 an ounce, plus or minus a couple dollars. Signage isn’t great so it was hard to see the prices. It looked interesting. They also had hot and iced teas, matchas,as well as bubble teas.

carol who

Wow! Computers are so cool! I was trying to think how to describe the location but a map is soooo much better. We came in the south entrance and it took a while to find it because you don’t have an overview. Now you will be able to spot it easily!

Jennkay

I love bubble tea! I agree, though, that at most places, it just tastes like sugar or whatever flavoring they add. Really good places will let you adjust the amount of sugar and use real tea, so the base tea flavors can really come out.

Marzipan

They have a website too. Bellotea.com

carol who

Thanks! It would be helpful to check these out before I go back so I’ll be a more informed consumer.

I found the best way to sip down on the teas that I have been avoiding for that reason or another – I take them to our cabin where my husband and I spend most of the year’s weekends when the weather allows.

The weather KIND OF allowed us this weekend to venture staying for one night, so I grabbed a few tins of tea that needs finishing off badly.

I managed to finish Della Terra’s Christmas Tradition ;) I am close to downing Adagio’s Chorange Pu Erh and Earl Grey Lavender. I also made a little dent in Yunomi’s Sencha of the Summer Sun and Della Terra’s Cinnamon Bun.

So, yeah, that’s how sipping down gets done – by giving myself very limited choices ;D

VariaTEA

I do that when I go to Florida. I take teas I want to sipdown and then one or two teas I really like

awesome sounding weekend!

Kat_Maria

Haha, it was pretty intense :D

sherapop

I’m thinking about following this strategy with perfume when I move: maybe putting my bottles in storage and spritzing through a bunch of samples and decants and minis until they are all gone!

Time for the side-by-side comparison of the vanilla black teas I currently have in my possession.

Up for the challenge are Bayswater Vanilla Cream, Nina’s Paris Je t’aime, and Tea Desire Velvety Vanilla.

I thought the first two would be the most similar, but smelling the dry leaf back-to-back, I’ve discovered that Bayswater’s has a smoky undertone that I never noticed before. Must be the base. But both have a vanilla caramel vibe. Je t’aime is heavier on the caramel. Velvety Vanilla, on the other hand, is like a watered down vanilla.

Of the three, Je t’aime is the smoothest. I can even detect fruity undertones whereas the other two have none of that whatsoever. Je t’aime’s base is the smoothest. Velvety Vanilla is astringent, to be expected from the Ceylon and Darjeeling, and Vanilla Cream is heavier, smokier, and thicker.

It’s amazing how you view teas in a different light when you compare them to others. Now that I’ve compared them side-by-side, I can definitely see that Nina’s reigns supreme. It’s softer, like a caramel cloud, and the base doesn’t wreak havoc on the whole flavour profile. I’m not even sure which one would get the silver medal. From memory, Vanilla Cream takes cream better, probably due to its heavier base.

So, now that I’ve cleared up that, in my opinion, Je t’aime gets the gold medal here, I guess in this case, the price really does reflect quality. But of course, remember, that isn’t always the case due to premium pricing/price-quality signaling! Still not sure I’d repurchase any of the three, as I’m still looking for a vanilla tea that is heavier on the vanilla, and closer to vanilla bean.

And as a side note, thanks again to VariaTEA for the sample of Je t’aime! It was sipped down during this experiment, and I’m so happy I was able to try it.

Courtney

I love doing comparisons. It’s so informative sometimes.

VariaTEA

I am glad you enjoyed it and had a fun time experimenting.

1 tsp Lapsang Souchong (Silk Road)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
hearty splash of homemade strawberry syrup

I’m not sure what to think of this. It’s not horrible, but it’s not exactly tasty either? The spice of the pepper flakes goes great with the smoky lapsang, and the strawberry both heightens the fire and dulls the burn (how is that even possible?!), but strawberry with smoke? It’s like bacon dipped in strawberry jam at breakfast, only not, because bacon dipped in jam is amazeballs, but lapsang with strawberry? not so much. The strawberry’s sweetness makes the smoke stick too much, which is weird because I mix lapsang and maple syrup allll the time and it doesn’t do that? Hmm.

I can easily finish this cup, but I’m not sure I’d do the combo again. red pepper + lapsang + maple? totally! strawberry’s just….odd..

VariaTEA

I’m sorry that I steered you wrong with my suggestion of strawberry syrup. You never know unless you try though so now you got to have a unique taste experience (even if it is not the most pleasant :P)

OMGsrsly

Ceylon Star, have you tried strawberry-hazelnut puerh yet? I think I need to start a list for you.

Bear With Me

no I haven’t OMGsrsly, but it sounds pretty fabulous! haha

Bear With Me

might need to try mixing something up when i’m done this cup (I’m too wired to sleep anyway, so caffeine is moot)

OMGsrsly

Tomorrow when I get home from work I’m going to work on parcelling out tea samples for everyone.

VariaTEA

OMGsrsly, is your plan to send all your tea away to others to get your cupboard under control?

YES. OH MY GOODNESS YES.

I’ll need to stop by a dollar store and get more baggies, too. Hmm… I see some erranding before work, then work, then home to deal tea. :D

From the Here’s Hoping Traveling Tea Box #2

I’m guessing this is from Kimlovestea. If I’m wrong let me know!

One of the bags in the tea box is labeled Kim’s Homemade Chai. I immediately put it in the pile of teas I wanted to try because I love the idea of homemade chai. Adding all the spices you love, using a heavy hand with some and a light touch with other… just the thought of it makes me smile. I have promised myself that we if ever finish our kitchen renovation (ugh.) that I will spend some time in my kitchen perfecting my own homemade chai. Until then I’m happy to sample lots of different chais including Kim’s.

The first thing I like about this tea is that the base tea is strong and really tasty. It has a kick, and I’m glad I chose this for my morning tea. It’s not a cinnamon heavy chai. I do get some heat at the back of my throat making me think there is ginger in the mix. Nice. I added some honey and milk to my cup, and now I’m just enjoying. It’s a robust, sweet, spicy chai that is hitting all the right notes this morning.

Well done Kim!!!

gmathis

Always fun when a kitchen-counter blending experiment turns out wonderfully well—makes me feel, well, competent!

Veronica

Same here. Now I just need kitchen counters! :)