Random Steepings

Tea
Astringent, Bitter, Cream, Menthol, Nutty, Smoke, Spices, Tobacco, Berry, Fruity, Pumpkin, Apricot, Muscatel, Sweet, Dried Fruit, Pepper, Raisins, Vegetal, Nuts, Butter, Hazelnut, Vanilla, Dust, Earth, Herbaceous, Taro Root, Brandy, Caramel, Floral, Honey, Smooth, Hay, Creamy, Seaweed, Sugar, Grass, Powdered sugar, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Malt, Almond, Citrus, Cookie, Roasted, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Camphor, Vinegar, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Flowers, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Blueberry, Chestnut, Mango, Tart, Jasmine, Plums, Vegetables, Yams, Rose, Pastries, Salt, Ginger, Wood, Coffee, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Toasted Rice, Spicy, Stonefruits, Burnt Sugar, Lemon, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Mineral, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Drinking one of my oldest herbals tonight, Honeybush and Rooibos that I picked up on my Swaziland trip. I cannot believe that was 8 months ago already. Regardless, this one is perfect for when I want something simple. I still like it best with some honey added :)

Today was such a completely awful day. I knew I needed something extra special to comfort me. So, I decided to mix a portion of my Premium Taiwanese Assam with Whispering Pine’s Imperial Gold Bud Dian Hong and add some pure ground vanilla. This hit the spot perfectly. It was sweet, creamy, malty, chocolatey, caramely and vanillay goodness. This cup did not make it long since I couldn’t stop drinking it. I’m crossing my fingers that the rest of the day is just a bit better.

Fjellrev

Aww no, I hope tomorrow will be better for you. :(

Butiki Teas

Thank you, Fjellrev! :) For now, I’ll just be hiding out.

Plunkybug

Oh no! Sorry to hear you had an awful day, but here’s hoping that tea was the start of an amazing come back day of you. Sounds like a lovely tea, and could make anyone’s bad day turn around. :)

yyz

Hope the day improves and that tomorrow is completely the opposite.

Butiki Teas

Thank you yyz & Amariel!! :)

This note is for my custom, Florida-grown tea by Single Origin Teas

First of all, I ordered a green tea, using the bud and the first leaf and with a soft rolling.

Forget Florida for a minute. Transport your mind to China, to Zhejiang Province, to the village of Longjing. Taste the longjing tea, the buttery, hazelnut-y liquor, perfect in every way.

Now, open your eyes. What’s that? It’s a tea from Florida and not longjing? I couldn’t tell the difference. Seriously. That’s how good this is. I felt like I was drinking some really good dragonwell tea, not something that was handmade for me.

Thank you, James for this experience.. If I could order an ounce or two, please let me know.

91/100

Flavors: Butter, Hazelnut

Nichole

Thanks for reviewing! I was curious about this opportunity.

kieblera5

I was honestly shocked at the taste and quality, Nichole. Obviously the tea, itself, isn’t worth the price, but helping James being able to mass produce and hopefully get this tea into more hands is definitely worth it :)

Nichole

Awesome. I was intrigued by this when I saw the post. I’ll have to keep it in mind.

Nicole

That’s awesome! I should do a note for my black tea from him.

Single Origin Teas

Thanks! I’ve been away on holiday (visiting all the tea shops in San Fran and Berkeley), thank you so much for your kind words! It got a hot wok (and by wok I mean frying pan) finish, so that may help to explain some of the tasting experience!

So this is actually just a note to the lovely people who follow me on Steepster. I know I’ve been gone for a while, but I have my reasons! School got super crazy stupid busy, then my grandmother was in the hospital (I live with her), then I was on vacation, then I was back at the hospital with my grandmother, and now I am home. I really haven’t been drinking tea, because when I get busy, I forget to make tea. Which stinks. I’m hoping as I settle back into my normal schedule, that my tea intake will come back up. :) I’ve missed reading all of the reviews and forums… So I guess I’m saying- “I’m alive!”

Nicole

Good to see you back. :)

Haveteawilltravel

We’ve missed you :D

I went for an early spring hike today! It felt so good to re-charge and to reconnect with the beauty of nature. I’m sorry (not sorry) to sound cheesy, but I was feeling all crusted and stale from the drain of city life. I need to do some earthing to connect myself to the big blue planet around me. Just hearing the absence of sound for a couple of hours made me feel so much better. Nothing but the wind through the trees. No cars, no airplanes, no people. A rare bird song every now and again, but mostly silence and the sound of my feet. It was still a little snowy here and there, but nothing too bad that the trail became too slushy. I was pretty lucky to make it back to my car before it began snowing. ahh, pure bliss.
So the tea that I brought with me was my homemade version of Celestial Seasoning’s Morning Thunder. I used to love that stuff. It was ideal for my hike today. It was smoky, and robust, and really seriously warming.
I used:
.5g of Tippy’s Lumberjack + 3g Capital Tea LTD’s Meleng Estate Assam + 2g Roasted Yerba Mate. I threw in a couple of cinnamon chips as well. It turned out to be pretty much perfect.

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
leaf in hot water

sounds so good!

Liquid Proust

I have also found roasted/pan fried teas mix quite well with black teas

TheLastDodo

I would go sans Lumberjack next time, and perhaps use a Ceylon with deeper honey notes or a keemun. It was a great trial run though!

Empty Stomach + Matcha + Young Sheng = Party time

Forgot to mention I started the day with matcha empty stomach followed my young sheng…. needless to say I felt like puking. When I say felt like puking I don’t mean “oh em gee that girls instagram is gross, puke” I mean you are 6-7 shots deep on cheap plastic handle vodka and your friends say one more ! with results in your mouth uncontrollable mouth watering to lubricate the reverse of traffic out of your esophagus tandem with the involuntary crunches like an impromptu 6 min abs video.

Now Im sure many of you are saying duh empty stomach matcha alone should equal you on your knees praying to the porcelain gods but I was always the Macho man, back to back young raw bulang on empty stomach and low fat diet, routinely start my day off with matcha if I needed to be up and alert for extended hours, etc. But my limit seems to be the masochistic combination of empty+ matcha+ young sheng

Apologizes if any of this is lowbrow but it is more for my reference than anything and if I could make some of these private I would

TheLastDodo

This review had me laughing so hard I choked on my tea! I enjoy anecdotes on tea notes, it keeps things interesting.

Jiāng Luo

thanks glad to hear I didn’t offend anyone Ive been holding this stuff back but matcha removes much of my social filters and inhibitions

WOW
Last night was ridiculous. I wish what had happened didn’t, but now that it has I will never purchase Misty Peak tea or include it in an any group buy. Nick will soon find out that his coowner/brother/marketingdirector is really screwing over the company; some of the people he offended are people with connections in the tea world too…

Anyways, this morning I am drinking some matcha from Yunomi and using the coconut milk matcha from yesterday as the cooling agent. I am going to end up throwing this coconut milk matcha away… the taste is so strong that it is going through the tencha taste of 3 scoops of matcha I whisked. That’s pretty crazy!

Ubacat

What’s going on with Misty Peak tea? I’ve bought from them before and liked the puerh.

Liquid Proust

The coowner took hours out of his day yesterday to comment on Oolongowl, Grill, Cheri, Brian… just, a lot of people, saying that W2T ripped off MP. This isn’t the first time, before it was calling out Crimson Lotus Tea.
Most of the comments have been deleted though…
Going around saying that W2T, YS, and CLT are disrespectful for having sheng made into a ball is just a bit too much for me. To visit my friends Instagram pages and leaves these comments as Phil, who coowns MP, is disrespectful to me. In these circumstances, I am unable to be like Oolongowl who is much wiser than I am; being that she deleted and block Phil who also seems to have others come in as well.
It’s just sad.

Uniquity

It’s really hard to believe that this person things no-one put tea in ball shape before MP. Even if they did, MP has a pretty shady history which they’ve deleted and covered up on here a couple times, but that’s pretty far-fetched.

Uniquity

Also, pretty much anyone can edit wikipedia, it’s hardly a credible source. I wonder who wrote the original wikipedia saying Misty Peaks make it in the first place..

Ubacat

I wonder if he’s the same person as MonkeyKing who was on here making Steepster just horrible for weeks. His comments about the orb are ridiculous!

Uniquity

MonkeyKing had a tasting note saying that Crimson Lotus stole something from Yunnan Sourcing…and another tasting note giving Misty Peaks 100%. So it seems quite possible.

kristinalee

Wow, talk about being an unprofessional and juvenile business owner. smh. I had a feeling MonkeyKing was connected to Misty Peaks, but I also found it shocking that a business owner would stoop quite that low.

curlygc

He put an ugly comment on my Instagram as well. I deleted the comment and blocked him. Unfriended MP on Facebook too. Will never purchase from them again. And with all the quality puerh there is out there, it’s not a huge loss (for me). He obviously aced the class “How to drive away customers and alienate people” in marketing school.

oh thats sad.

mrmopar

I try to be objective but can someone show me the link the Monkey King posted about YS stealing from them. I would hope it isn’t that obvious but if so I will personally never give them any recommendation on here for how they divided this community with all the insults and remarks.

kristinalee

He deleted his profile. Does that mean everything’s gone now?

mrmopar

There should be something somewhere. I would really lose faith in them over this whole mess. There was a lot of division I thought didn’t exist here because of that MK guy.

kristinalee

I couldn’t find him, but there’s not really a very good user-finder function on here, is there? Or am I missing it?

mrmopar

I will be looking around myself.

Rasseru

@mrmopar – Im a bit annoyed about how these last few weeks have been full of negativity on the forums. You can still get his profile cached.

Read the whispering pines review – is that what people are talking about? Idk.

mrmopar

I’m not sure if this is what would link anyone. The cache won’t let you go but so far into the MK. I am just like you Rasseru, there was great division that I didn’t know existed here.

Liquid Proust

I hope that this site goes back to normal soon… this bullshit is destructive. While I don’t want it to be there, as part of the tea community I feel some responsibility to respond because it is important to me. Right now it is just highly exhausting. Tea should be about enjoying a drink, not a means to money…

Rasseru

It will be ok. From what I can see the people who got divided on here were either trying to A – stick up for us, or B – really kind & non-confrontational wanting to not argue, both of which I like. Im hoping it will settle down again

mrmopar

+1 , I want normal again.

kristinalee

I have no problem with a business being a business, but businesses don’t generally operate like this.

Butiki Educational TTB

Kenya White #2

The day is winding down to an end, and my stress is still through the roof. I picked this to calm me before bed time. I have never had a Kenyan White before and was very interested. I am hoping the magic properties of African tea will mystically relax me, haha. The dry leaf is similar to Bai Hao Yin Zhen except its more twiggy. They resemble small silver pins and sticks. They are a brilliant white and gray color. I brewed these in my tea press. The aroma is of wet hay and summer dew. The aroma from my cup is like a wheat field after a rainstorm. The flavor was very unique. It was a syrupy hay. It tasted like green hay and with a sweet after-tone of sugar cookies. This was nice before bed. I really liked this tea, and it was very interesting.

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Powdered sugar

Cwyn

Yay Random Steepings! Seems like the most popular selection on Steepster these days.

Haveteawilltravel

Hahah if they had a company and actual title I would post them there. This seems to be the place to post unnamed teas….

This tea is from Lulu, a generous random sample that was sent out for what seems to be an upstart online business. It is a sun moon lake black tea from taiwan.

The leaves are LONG, thin, and spindly, and of course, black. They smell like honey, with a hint of straw. Quite nice, but this is def a tea that you would want to measure by weight, not by a tsp, just because of how difficult it is to get them in the spoon.

Not having any type of food scale, i just guessed about how much i should use, about 3 quite empty tsp lol, and 10 oz of water at 190 for 4 min.

the liquor was a nice, dark red with a brown tinge. It tasted quite light, possibly due to me not using enough leaf, possibly because thats just how the tea is. either way, it was still nice. It had the nice malty flavor of a black, with faint hints of chocolate. i have heard mentioned that this type of tea has a kind of cinnamon taste, and while it diddnt come though for me, there was SOMETHING there, almost spicy like, but not really. so in hindsight, i might not have used enough leaf. But this tea was still quite nice.

Over all, to me, this tea reminded me alot of golden monkey, only maybe replacing golden monkeys straw like flavor with a hint of spice. Im quite pleased with this tea, but i think i prefer golden monkey slightly more.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Malt

Grandpa brew all the things!

It’s been a ridiculously busy few weeks and March doesn’t look like it’ll be fun at all. I’m out of the country for about two weeks for a class and have so many things to turn in/submit when I get back. I’m computerless in the meantime, since my laptop’s been out of commission for months (I do all of my writing on my desktop). I doubt I’ll be able to properly type out papers on my phone, haha.

Anyway, I’ve been grandpa brewing the hell out of anything that I can get my hands on in the morning over these last few weeks. Quick note of things brewed in my 12-oz Thermos Tea Tumbler, all water temps at 195F. Leaf quantities all ‘eyeballed’ but definitely on the lower end of everything, since the leaves just sit in the tumbler all day. I lug a 40 oz thermos around in my bag alongside the tea tumbler and top off the water when it gets low (half or 2/3rds gone).

Verdant’s Laoshan Roasted Oolong – use very, very small quantities of it. Roasty, chocolaty, with a cocoa bitterness that becomes more of an overwhelming burnt chocolate when too much leaf is used. Lasted for a full day— it got uncomfortably bitter for me the morning of the second day so I dumped it and went for fresh leaves.

White2Tea’s 2014 Bulang Lao Cha Tou – really sweet (molasses or brown sugar type sweetness with a touch of powderiness that reminds me of Special Dark), about 4-7 rinsed nuggets will do for an entire day. Got a sample of it from the tea club a week or two ago and immediately ordered another 100g that just came in this weekend, and now I wish I’d gotten even more just because of how convenient it is. This lasted for a day, but I probably could have pushed it to two days with hotter water on the second day.

Mandala’s Not-So-Mini-Tuos – dropped one in the mug, gave it a quick rinse, and off I went. Really bold/hearty and earthy, and the first mugful or two were really strong for me. Halving the mini tuocha might be a good idea next time. This lasted me for two days.

Mandala’s Pu Wen coin – I really loved this one grandpa style. It’s tied with W2T’s Chocolate Mini Shu and Bulang Laochatou in terms of tastiness/convenience when busy. Unfortunately, it’s the priciest of the three so I’m trying to save the ones I’ve got. Lasted two days.

Mandala’s Rou Gui – fruity and sort of cinnamon-y, mildly roasty and ‘bright’. A pinch or two of leaves lasted for about a day— the flavour started weakening near the end, so I don’t think it could have gone for two full days.

195 °F / 90 °C
mrmopar

Hey I resemble that grandpa remark!