Random Steepings

Smoke, Wood, Chicken Soup, Musty, Salty, Chocolate, Leather, Tangy, Tannic, Char, Meat, Roasted, Smoked, Tobacco, Creamy, Hibiscus, Vanilla, Fruity, Tart, Wet Rocks, Astringent, Medicinal, Grass, Nutty, Seaweed, Sweet, Herbs, Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Bitter, Green, Grain, Rice, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Herbaceous, Tannin, Almond, Caramel, Honey, Marzipan, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Coconut, Fruit Punch, Pineapple, Spices, Stewed Fruits, Sugar, Toffee, White Chocolate, Yogurt, Blueberry, Dust, Vegetal, Cinnamon, Clove, Lavender, Cocoa, Pecan, Cream, Stonefruits, Thick, Floral, Peppercorn, Spicy, Camphor, Hay, Butter, Apricot, Dried Fruit, Malt, Plums, Sugarcane, Ginger, Smooth, Menthol, Hazelnut, Milk, Orchid, Berry, Pumpkin, Drying, Sour, Earth, Forest Floor, Mud, Muscatel, Pepper, Raisins, Nuts, Taro Root, Brandy, Powdered sugar, Citrus, Cookie, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Apple, Burnt Sugar, Wet wood, Lychee, Autumn Leaf Pile, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Chestnut, Mango, Vegetables, Yams, Rose, Pastries, Salt, Decayed wood, Coffee, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Strawberry, Lemon, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

Acquired through the Regional Group Buy. This is only for my second or third purple-ish tea. Still very new to me. I evaluated this tea as best as I could, and I tried to be as concrete in identifying the flavors I was smelling and tasting. I decided to first brew half the sample in a gaiwan and then then other half in an infuser mug.

120ml. No rinse. Steeping times: 30 seconds, 10, 20, 40, 60, 90; 2 minutes, 3, 5, 8, 12.

I had difficulty discerning specific notes in the dry leaf aroma. I wrote: sweet, cloves, grain-like, Cheerios. I let the leaf rest in the pre-heated bowl and smelled an entirely different aroma: tart berries, particularly blackberries and gooseberries. The wet leaf aroma is combination of the previous, smelling of pies made with tart berries, and of Cheerios.

The gongfu method produces a liquor the color of rose quartz. The body is medium, and the texture creamy, and the aftertaste consistently sweet. The tasting portion starts off sour – literally. At the second and third, the tart berries stay in the front of my mouth while the Cheerios note rests in the back. The fourth and fifth infusions are more grainy than sweet/tart. From the sixth infusion to the end, the liquor tastes sweet with a note of chard, the grain having disappeared entirely.

I found steeping the leaf Western method more favorable. This leaf is meant to be steeped this way. Steeping times: 3 minutes, 5, 10.

Two days later, I had an easier time picking out what I was smelling in the aromas. Dry: rhubarb, gooseberries, gooseberry pie. Wet: same notes, but the sweet- and tartness are stronger. I can’t tell what the liquor color is because the inside of the mug is blue. This time, the body is fuller. The first cup, at first taste, has a bitter grass notes, underneath of which is plum. As I continue to drink, the tea becomes more flavorful. The bitterness disappears, the sweetness completely takes over, and the delightfully fruity aftertaste lasts for minutes. The second and third cups taste lighter and not as flavorful, but are just as sweet, with no bitterness at all.

Additionally, I couldn’t find anything off-putting about this tea. Preparing Purple Leaf Tea the gongfu method draws it out too much. Consequently, its personality doesn’t shine through. I highly recommend to steep the leaf in an infuser mug like me or a larger pot. The leaf gives out so much more.

175 °F / 79 °C 5 g

Today I reorganized the tea cupboard and logged all my teas. Since November, I’ve increased tea count by about 100 teas. Crazy. Gotta work on reducing my cupboard by half.
In pursuit of this goal, I tried to drink my small samples today.

Tea- Artic Fire by Anna’s Tea Shop from Midwest Teafest

Smells fruity. 212F 8oz, 3min
Tastes vaguely fruity black, nothing memorable.

Flavors: Fruity

If it makes you feel any better, I used to be at like 120 and have since gotten down to under 40, so you can do it!

Thanks! Part of the problem is that I have large quantities of some teas. I’ll need to dredge my willpower up and not order tea.

There is a local shop called Yan-Tsu Hong herbs that sells Chinese herbs, medicines, and teas—-Regina friends, have you been here? It is right by Cuppa’T. A few years ago, I tried their Iron Buddha tea (Tiekuanyin—it says on the label) and hated it but that was before I appreciated and knew how to brew oolong teas. Trying it today, I know my tastes have changed because I am really enjoying this. It is buttery and floral with vegetal notes. This is a decent green oolong.
I think that I will brew it at a lower temp next time though to see if that brings out more sweetness.

Boiling 1 min, 15 sec 2 tsp

I’ve prolly walked by it a thousand times but have never been inside.

Lala check it out next time, the prices are super cheap

Ok, I’m breaking one of my tea rules, which is not to try something new when I’m in a hurry or unwell. I am unwell, and trying a new tea.
My mom brought be back a packet of sachets of “Organic Corn Tea” from the Japanese shop Muji, and I know nothing else about it. And, as I’m drinking tea as if there is no tomorrow, I brewed some up.
Firstly, no idea if I brewed this correctly. The package may have instructions, but its all in Japanese, so I’m out in that respect.
It smells very rich in the sachet, but the scent thins out somewhat once brewed.
What I get is a roasty, almost earthen cup of “tea”, which is quite interesting. Huh. I’m gonna hold off on rating it, as I need more sampling time!

I’m not sure, based on my experience, that there is a right or wrong with corn tea. I think it just gets “cornier” the longer you go :) A personal taste thing.

That pun was so bad. :)

The dry leaf aroma is sweet and floral. It’s also almost fruity. The brewed tea aroma is a floral green oolong. This is my kind of tea!

I got this sample from a co-worker/friend. I have no idea what company this is from as the red, vacuum sealed package is only covered in kanji. I tried translating 茗典茶藏 and determined it says: “tea for ceremony, tea to have.” Anyone come across this before?

The leaves fully unfurled after the second infusion for two minutes. It’s a shame I can’t identify the source because this is a great tea! The leaves have more stem attached then I’ve ever seen before, but the resulting tea is delicious! It’s probably an unflavored milk oolong. This second infusion is creamy! Mmm, yum! This is soooo good! It’s really hitting the spot. I’d rate it a 92.

Bagged houji-cha. Made at work with microwave boiled water (not having a hot water dispenser kind of sucks…)

This was good. First time having a roasted green tea and I was struck by how oaty it was. Reminded me a lot of oatmeal without actually tasting like cereal. This was interesting enough to warrant revisiting … perhaps with a loose leaf version.

I drank some Japanese green tea with matcha from a sample from LiquidProust. The green tea tasted very “leafy green”, combined with the taste of Trader Joe’s Mochi green tea (if that makes any sense ;-) ). Unfortunately there was also too much bitterness to it for my taste.

Liquid Proust

Quite common. Many Japanese greens are astringent.

Good to know.

Whiteantlers, the Red (Black) Tie Guan Yin you sent me is fantastic. The dry leaf reminded me of a Laoshan Black. The leaves themselves were black strings tipped by gold. This is exactly the type of Black Tea I prefer. 30 sec, then 55 sec, 1 min 15, 3 min, and 5 min. First, I get cocoa, malt, thickness, berries, jam, and a little bit of astringency. Second, more jam and cocoa. Third a leathery quality comes out with the berry jam. The same can be said of the fourth. The fifth just has light berry jam and cocoa in light water. This is good. Really good. Thank you so much!

S.G. Sanders

Got to love that Laoshan Black! Mmm-mm.

So glad the Iron Goddess is in good hands! Sip happily!

where was it from originally?

I believe it came from Life in Teacup.

Liquid Proust

Red package air vacuum package?

I think so, LP.

Life in Teacup :)
There’s actually many many black tieguanyin out there. I’ve had three different ones, but if you know where to search you will notice there is just a large array of crazy things being done.

I ordered from Life in Teacup because of your comment on his Pine tea. I’d never heard of the vendor prior to that. The Pine was not up on the site, though at my request he sent me a sample. Have not tried it yet.

It isn’t being sold yet :P , it’s in the Dark Matter group buy though

Daylon R Thomas

It was in a red package.

Ah,good news. That means I can share my sample with someone.

Daylon R Thomas

It was also labeled Red (Black) Tie Guan Yin. Everything else was in Chinese. But you guys probably already know that at this point.

bah, $20 flat rate for europe. Flat rate is great for large orders but so rubbish if you just want a sample.. I do wish vendors had better shipping rates – I think my YS sample shipping was $6 for a few ounces

Vendors are losing business from me quite frequently due to flat rate

One of the many reasons why I love What-Cha is the free shipping.

This is a random sheng from my W2T goodie bag. :) The wrapper it came in had no English clues for me, but did include the number “2008”, so I was wondering if it was another aged sheng, but this doesn’t taste very aged to me. None of that earthy/musty character at all. The wet leaves are mostly an olive green colour, some a bit mottled with light brown, and a few noticeably darker brown leaves mixed in. They are pleasantly aromatic and zingy – even many steeps in, I like sniffing the leaves in my gaiwan after pouring. The tea liquor brews up a light to medium gold colour, and it has a fairly bright, tangy flavour. I kept the bitterness at bay by sticking to 80-90deg water and ~20 second steeps many times in a row. There is a slight softening and complexity (compared to the 2015 shengs I’ve been drinking recently), and I remember getting some interesting muted floral notes about 5 or 6 steeps in, but other than that, not much beyond “hi I’m a sheng!!”. There is the sweet coating on the back of my throat, but not much sweetness in the actual sip. I’m getting a moderate amount of astringent drying on my inner cheeks. Having said that, I keep compulsively steeping and drinking this over and over, so apparently all the bitterness and astringency is no barrier to my enjoyment of this tea, lol. :) I’m actually finding it a bit energizing, which is a nice change of pace from all the teas that keep making me want to have a nap (secondary theory: the time of year is what’s making me want to have naps constantly). I’m so confused by all these bitter/astringent teas I keep drinking, when normally I love me some sweet, smooth, creamy teas (black, green, oolong, etc). Ahhhh, I think I’m being bitten by the puer bug, this is so, so unfortunate, lol.

Today I’m drinking the 3 Dahongpao teas from the Aug/Sept White2Tea club. I’m putting this here because I don’t want to do them separately. I will review the Qilan teas separately though.

Fresh DHP (4g)
Really interesting aroma. Tangy? Intensifies w/ wet leaf. Smells like candy actually.
The brew is much milder than I thought it would be. I’m kind of surprised at how much I like this tea. It’s really quite mellow. No astringency, lovely light sweet aftertaste. Not having had many (any?) DHP’s, I have no point of reference for this tea. Is there a light smokiness I’m detecting in later steeps? (I’m on #3 right now). Another reviewer said burnt sugar. Yes. I was thinking caramel, but not as sweet. So burnt sugar fits the bill. I’m not really overtaken by the roast on this one. I’ve had other wuyi oolongs that were much more in your face with the roast. Not so this one. Steep five is weak; tea is losing its oomph. Let six sit a bit longer and the tea liquor is dark but the flavor has definitely faded. Becoming more mineral/meh.

8 years aged DHP (~3g)
Oolong owl said the dry leaf aroma is “car tire.” Which is hilarious and spot on. Not pleasant at all. Wet leaf aroma is much nicer though. I don’t know, I’m not getting as much flavor out of this. Weird. Maybe it’s because I just ate? I probably should have waited a bit. I’ve had two steeps. I think I’ll put it aside for a bit and come back. Ok, I did come back about an hour later. Still not feeling it tbh. I mean, it’s ok, but just that. It’s the like the fresh with the flavor and intensity turned down from 9 to like, 4.

5 years aged DHP brick (~4g)
The brick itself has no discernible aroma, but the wet leaf smells fantastic. The burnt sugar aroma is very strong, very much like the fresh DHP actually but a bit more intense. The flavor is just so good, deep, rich, and roasty but sweet. My mouth is coated with a sweet mineral aftertaste. Mmmmm sweet rocks. I would buy this if I could; it is my favorite of the three. I will say the flavor drops off a bit for me after the first several steeps though.

One thing I have learned over the course of my tea journey, and specifically with these oolongs (including the Clover Patch, which I reviewed separately a few weeks ago) is that I am not one for subtlety when it comes to flavors. Most days I like a tea to announce its arrival with four-part harmonies and a horn section. I don’t know if my palate will become more “refined” in time, or if this is just the way I am. Anyway, I continue to completely enjoy the w2t club. Initially I thought it would just be something I’d do for a few months, now it’s already incorporated into 2016’s tea budget (which I’d already spent by July 2015, but whatever…)

Tea leaves: https://instagram.com/p/70W9e7GgMZ/?taken-by=curlygc
Clockwise from right: fresh (more defined, long, slender, beautiful. 8 Years aged: similar to fresh but more chopped up. Brick: chopped like shou. Chopped Shuey? (I’ll see myself out)

Haha, I want my tea to arrive in four-part harmony and a horn section also! ’aint nobody got time for barely-there flavor!

I like my oolong but I don’t have a great palate for it. It all tastes good for the most part. Puerh, now, never is the same twice! Love shopping for puerh but I give up quickly trying to look at oolong and decide what might be good. Who would have known a little cube is so tasty? Not me. I’m happy to give TwoDog my money and have him just send me oolong via the tea club.