Random Steepings

Tea
Flowers, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange Blossom, Rooibos, Sweet Potatoes, Wood, Bitter, Green, Seaweed, Dust, Fruity, Hibiscus, Honey, Smoke, Vegetal, Cinnamon, Clove, Lavender, Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa, Pecan, Vanilla, Floral, Leather, Sugar, Tobacco, Peppercorn, Spices, Spicy, Sweet, Camphor, Thick, Ginger, Grass, Smooth, Astringent, Cream, Menthol, Nutty, Hazelnut, Milk, Roasted, Berry, Pumpkin, Apricot, Muscatel, Dried Fruit, Pepper, Raisins, Nuts, Butter, Earth, Herbaceous, Taro Root, Brandy, Hay, Creamy, Powdered sugar, Malt, Almond, Citrus, Cookie, Cucumber, Baked Bread, Grapes, Peppermint, Wet Wood, Vinegar, Apple, Burnt Sugar, Cherry, Wet wood, Lychee, Autumn Leaf Pile, Custard, Nutmeg, Jam, Blueberry, Chestnut, Mango, Tart, Plums, Vegetables, Yams, Rose, Pastries, Salt, Coffee, Orange, Dark Chocolate, Tea, Pine, Toast, Popcorn, Toasted Rice, Strawberry, Stonefruits, Lemon, Apple Skins, Lemon Zest, Plants, Asparagus, Potato, Artificial, Candy, Orange Zest, Dark Bittersweet, Cherry Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

5 Images

From Various Artists

anything goes!

About Various Artists View company

My dad works at a tech company and when they have employees come in from Asian countries, they often bring gifts. One of the gifts was a tin on tea from this guy that has a small tea farm. From what my father said, it was a side hobby/project that the man had. My father isn’t a fan of tea, but graciously accepted the gift and passed it onto the biggest tea fanatic he knows. Lucky me! I can’t read any of the writing on the tin, so I don’t really know anything else about this tea.
It looks like a dragonwell, so I steeped it for two minutes at 175. It is very buttery, a little sweet and a very light grassy/hay taste. As the cup cools I get a little bit of a mineral like taste in the end of the sip, which could very well be my water source. This tea is so light and tasty!

BanZhang King Ripe (ha ha…) as the label reads from White2tea moving sale. As you all know by now laobanzhang or LBZ is the greatest of all puerh. All other puerh bows in its presence, which is how it got to be known as the king of puerh. First you might notice that this tea has no age, that’s cause LBZ trees are magical and can travel back and forth through time at will. No one knows exactly how old the tea is when being picked. This tea could be from a tree that doesn’t yet exist and has traveled back in time. Another possibility is that Paul, the owner of White2tea, a well known time lord and used his puerh powered tardis station to capture this mystical tea in some unknown dimension. Now that we all know a little more about LBZ its on to the tasting.

Before removing the wrapper one must make sure to put on welding goggles or very dark sunglasses to protect the eyes since the tea itself shines like the sun. Carefully removing the wrapper I pick up the cake and it fills me with powerful energy, it feels like electricity coursing through my veins. In fact I happened to be holding a light bulb in my other hand and it would light up whenever I was touching the LBZ. The tea seemed to know I was in the mood for a 10 gram session, a good sized chunk removed itself from the rest of the cake, floated in the air till it settled in my gaiwan and proceeded to separate itself into it’s individual leaves. LBZ doesn’t smell of anything in the traditional sense. Wisdom, enlightenment and intelligence are what my brain registers as I hover over my gaiwan and sniff.

I grab my kettle, pour some hot water over the tea, drain my gaiwan directly into my cup and stare into what looks like the infinite. Grabbing my cup I bring it slowly to my lips for the first sip of his majesty….Reality melts from around me, replaced by something that can not be described in any words I know. The effect is like loading the universe into a cannon, aiming at my brain and firing. Kubrick probably drank this right before writing the end of 2001. All sense of time and self are gone. I am a being of pure energy travelling the cosmos. Eventually I come to on the floor wearing nothing but my goggles, having a full grown beard and still holding my cup. The clock reads a minute later and the date is the same. Time for myself has obviously passed at a much different rate than the world around me….

Having now tried the King of all puerh I can see why it’s so sought after. It’s an experience like no other but not one to be taken lightly. I suggest all who wish to try it read this carefully and be prepared.

10 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

No hyperbole here! ;-)

Grill

Paul from White2tea wrote haha…. On the label I’m guessing since no one would ever make a ripe out of Banzhang material so I decided to write a silly story about it

looseTman

Sure, why not. It was very entertaining! Well done!

awilsondc

There is a difference between Ban Zhang and Lao Ban Zhang… this is almost certainly not LBZ, but sounds delicious none the less! http://www.thechineseteashop.com/blog/more-about-ban-zhang-pu-erh-teas/

boychik

i envy your excellent writing skills! very entertaining, agree with looseTman.

Grill

Boychik if my high school English teachers ever read that someone envied my writing skill I think that they would faint lol. Wilson I know it’s not lbz or probably even bz just makes for a more ridiculous story :)

curlygc

Best. Review. Ever.

Having a 2014 Ma Hei mini tuo from I think the Tea Horse Family production.
I received this from a friend and I am still waiting on some more info on it.
I let this one open up overnight after rinsing it twice.
Impressions, I worked the tuo open and saw some decent leaf in there.
Brewing it, light yellow color. Brew itself, it starts a little soft like a Yiwu and then it kicks like a Lao Man E. Not bitter but the bit of mouth numbing effect to it.
Cooled it gives a touch more bitter but not enough to turn anyone off for such a young sheng.

teatortoise

Why let it sit all night?

mrmopar

Tuos can be hard to break open without destroying the tea. A rest period after the rinse lets the tea open up a bit before brewing. Usually gets a better brew early on after the rest period.

teatortoise

Because it releases the flavor by steeping with the moisture, just like shou, right? But what I’m wondering is, does it really take all night for this tea?

ashmanra

I never thought about letting a puerh “open up” for an extended time. I need to try this! I am humbled by your great knowledge and skill, mrmopar!

JC

This is a a must for tightly compressed Puerh for sure. This helps you avoid over steeping the outer layer of the leaves by the time the piece of the cake/tuo opens and exposes the leaves inside.

Mrmopar have you ever tried steaming your tuos for loosening them up? sounds cool, but I feel like I’d damage my tea, or not let it dry enough for storing it again in loose form.

mrmopar

ashmanra, just a trick I learned.
JC, I have seen the videos but I haven’t tried it. I think my ability would fall short on that technique.

Decided to follow the advice of a fellow steepsterite and mixed up a 50-50 mix of Salted Caramel and Peanut Butter Cup, and it was a fantastic idea! The blend was very heavy on the salted caramel tastes (which I’m glad had a decent amount of salt; I feared it wouldn’t be noticeable) with a light peanut/chocolate taste in the background. The two teas mix nicely. I’ll certainly finish off the last tsp. of my sample of Peanut Butter Cup like this.

Kristal

I’m really looking forward to getting my sample of peanut butter cup. If I like it, I will try it as a latte :)

Fay

I think it would be really good as a latte :)

Today was Happy Tea Mail Day !
I received a care package from Grill. Samples of 2 sheng. One is a mystery.
I love mystery teas.
Dry leaves are gorgeous, long, golden tips ,silvery and dark. Smelled a little like FF Darjeeling, somewhat floral and hay.

5g 75ml gaiwan 200F
rinse/ pause/ short steeps, almost flash

The brew is bright yellow with slight orange tint. Wet leaves smell a little smoky but it didnt translate into taste. its smooth, pleasantly bitter, and somewhat astringent (that didnt bother me at all)

By the 4th steep i was tea drunk and had a dumb smile on my face. I felt the energy concentrated on my eyes, i tried to open them wide haha . Also my face feels numb on a cheeks and around the mouth.

I have a feeling this tea has long legs and i will continue it tomorrow. For now, i need to make a dinner.

Thank you so much Grill for sharing this sheng with me. its excellent tea and quite an experience.

PS He promised me to tell what tea it is after i finish my sessions ;)

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 75 ML
curlygc

Mystery tea packages? That sounds like fun!

boychik

Yes, especially when the tea is so great. Wish all my mystery tea could be like this one

2 grams of Sir Thomas Lipton Earl Grey from Lipton, plus
1 gram of Origins Darjeeling Tea from Twinings

I have these two big tins of teas which I don’t like. I don’t find them any good, neither black nor for builder’s brew. But I don’t want to forget about them and leave them to waste. So I thought, why not blend them together and see how it comes out?

Glad that I experimented. The result was surprisingly nice. Not that they tasted wonderful together, but at least I didn’t have the urge to make a “meh” face like I did with them individually.

The bergamot flavor from the Lipton EG was still there, it was light and quiet, in the background. The Ceylon from Lipton and Darjeeling from Twinings blended together they produced this interesting sweetness that was quite pleasant. And then their astringent taste… how should I explaine… It was like, when tasting these two teas individually separately, they broadcasted their loneliness by producing astringent taste. Now that I married them two, they broadcasted their happiness by producing a sweet taste.

Oh geez, sorry I sound like a 5 yr old… I will just shut up and go drink more tea now.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 240 ML
Nicole

LOL… that is an interesting way to phrase the blending. :) I have a canister of teas I’m not wild about (all unflavored blacks so nothing is going to overpower anything else) and I use the to cold steep overnight in the fridge for iced tea. Franken-tea. :)

Louise Li

So you put every unflavored black teas that you don’t like in the same tin? And then make cold brew tea from the blend?
I always worry the liquid while cold brewing will also absorb weird smell in the fridge.

Nicole

Yes. I put it in a pitcher and cover it tightly. So no weird smells get in the tea.

It’s that time of year again for great tea value opportunities! …
TeaVivre’s 4th Anniversary Celebration!

Terri HarpLady

Quit trying to get me in trouble LTMan…I don’t have any money to spend!

Who me? ;-D

I’m actually drinking a green tea called blue butterfly, but it’s not getting its own entry yet because I’m not sure if it just tastes like a combination of gentle fruits with bubblegum and dish soap, or if my bottle absorbed some of the flavour of the Fairy Liquid when I gave it a really thorough soak last night. UGH. :(

So I had some 2002 Nan Jian Phoenix tuo from Aliexpress mixed with kunlun mountain snow chrysanthemum flowers. It tasted awesome. Just a pinch of flowers mixed with a good amount of the puerh… Just lovely!

Not really sure where to put this, so random steepings it is!

It is probably a well known (since I never seem to shut up about it) fact about me at this point, I absolutely LOVE fancy bath products, but with an allergy to Aloe my ability to enjoy what seems like 90% of bath products is severely limited. Seriously, so many things have aloe in them, don’t even get me started on razors and wipes! So when I found a pair of tea themed bath products from Sanne Tea, you can bet I was filled with tiny squishy joy! The problem is, reviewing soap takes time…I like to evaluate it after many washes, and when the Tea For Tub arrived it was the middle of summer, not so much soaking season, but it is winter (kinda, still feels like fall) and that means the season of soaks.

Hilariously I used Tea For Tub back in October, but the other day a dear tea friend of mine sent me a box of goodies including a fresh box of Tea For Tub and I thought ‘crap, I totally forgot to write about that!’ and then frolicked off to the bathtub to steep myself. This is actually a very clever use for teas that are maybe not quite up to being steeped, instead of passing them off as drinkable or tossing them, the black tea is stuffed in a large bag and you toss it in a hot bath. Other than the fantastical decadence of bathing in tea just for the fun of it, it does have a purpose, turns out tea is great for skin inflammation.

Got a sunburn, slap a teabag on it, got puffy eyes, slap a teabag on it, want to soothe dry skin…soak in a tub full of tea! This is not the first time I have done that, I have been known to buy boxes of cheap black tea bags and just soaking in them, but unlike those, these bags of tea smell really good. It smells like quality black tea, meaning it is sensory pleasing as well as soothing on the skin. If you are feeling adventurous, you can reuse these bags at least once, just make sure to squeeze them gently or you will pop the bag and make a mess.

The next is a soap, which sadly is not in their shop, meaning when my bar finally piddles out I am going to have a panic. This is made from the good stuff, castor oil, coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil, lye, tea tree oil, tea leaves, and water…no aloe to be seen! This soap is pretty great, works as a good cleaning substance for both my face and the rest of me. The aroma is really light and clean, fresh and tea like, which I love! I really love soaps that use lye, call me old fashioned, but I enjoy how it strips away my scales (I have Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and get scaly like a lizard!) and allows my skin to soak up the nice oils from the soap, so I end up feeling all soft after using it. This soap is made of win!

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2015/12/sanne-tea-tea-soap-tea-for-tub-tea-life.html

carol who

Sounds lovely! I’m a big fan of bath product, too. It must be tough with an allergy to aloe. You’re right… I think it is in everything. I’ll have try get some of this.

Indigobloom

my problem would be the tea tree oil. Dries me right out! love the leaf, not the oil :P