Taiwanese High Mountain (Gaoshan) Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

• “Spring cleaning day at home, mostly because we have someone coming to stay with us for a week so our house had to look presentable. Now that it's mostly done, I am relaxing with this tea from the...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1962 tasting notes
  • “I know i've had this one before, but apparently my tasting note is gone. Another tea i was drinking in an effort to try and drink my reserve club teas that I've been hoarding. While i don't...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4927 tasting notes
  • “TOMC Reserve for March. This is yet another beautiful looking oolong, in little balls of variegated light & dark Jade. The aroma is mellow floral & has a kind of sweet breadiness to it, but not...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2955 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the teas I took to work today. i don't normally do well with green oolongs, but as I always say - if someone (Sil) is generous enough to send me a tea, I'm willing to try it. I...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 729 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea (Special)

Verdant Reserve Club – March

While Wang Huimin spent her childhood in Anxi, she spent much of the last ten years living in Taiwan and getting to know Taiwanese tea farmers. Through her, we have been able to start working with some incredible growers committed to full hand picking and processing of sweet high elevation tea like this one. It has been a learning experience to get into Taiwanese teas, and one that we plan to continue exploring on our upcoming China trips in April and October.

This High Mountain Oolong is an incredible find. Just as Wang’s greener-leaning palate found the light and sparkling Aged Tieguanyin, she found this uniquely green Taiwanese oolong. Usually a lightly roasted flavor is present in rolled Taiwanese oolongs, but in this case, the tightly rolled tea is as green as our favorites from Anxi.

The aroma of this tea is warm sunny and floral like daffodil and marigold. The first tastes are incredibly creamy and smooth. Everyone at the office thought of bread pudding made from corn bread and drizzled with honey and fresh cream.

In later steepings the rich multidimensional flavor moves towards kettle corn, accentuated by a growing rich chlorophyl green taste, and in the aftertaste, notes of pear. It is a real treat to get to taste something so warm, vibrant and sunny while the snow falls in March. Enjoy!

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

1962 tasting notes

Spring cleaning day at home, mostly because we have someone coming to stay with us for a week so our house had to look presentable. Now that it’s mostly done, I am relaxing with this tea from the Verdant Reserve club package from March.

I typically like Taiwan high mountain oolongs, but I don’t typically looooove them. They should be among my favorites (I love floral, green oolongs) but they are typically maybe a little too green for me. Of course I was still very excited to try this one from Verdant. The dry leaves are tight little balls and smell fresh and green and floral, and an interesting, almost licorice note comes out when the are warmed. After a brief rinse, the leaves smell vegetal and floral, like I would expect from a Taiwan high mountain. The flavor of the first steep is like sugar snap peas and very sweet corn, with a floral aftetaste of light lilacs.

Later steepings were much more vegetal, light leafy greens with florals dancing around the edges. The leaves have expanded so much that I am no longer getting that much liquid out of the pot.

This is a very good example of a Taiwanese High Mountain oolong. Like I said before, I tend to like these teas but not love them, and this one fits the pattern. A pleasant and very spring-y tea that makes me look forward to upcoming nicer weather!

I know i’ve had this one before, but apparently my tasting note is gone. Another tea i was drinking in an effort to try and drink my reserve club teas that I’ve been hoarding. While i don’t generally want anything to do with green oolongs, this is a relatively decent green oolong. It’s lacking that weird oolongy taste that i hate and there’s a sweetness to this that is quite delicious!

In the first steepings there were those floral notes…waiting to come out, which they did more so in the later steepings. It’s those later steepings i really didn’t like. too floral and vegetal for my tastes. If every steep tasted like the first one, i’d be golden haha. As such, I think i will pass the rest of this on to a tea friend to try out :) especially since there aren’t very many reviews of this one on steepster

TOMC Reserve for March.

This is yet another beautiful looking oolong, in little balls of variegated light & dark Jade. The aroma is mellow floral & has a kind of sweet breadiness to it, but not a maltiness, more like a quick sweet bread of some kind. After a couple of steepings the aroma of the wet leaf reminds me of lilacs & greenery.

I’ve been steeping & sipping during my break between practice sessions, & it is quite nice. The floral & green tastes are lighter than some of the other oolongs I’ve tried. After several cups (who’s counting anymore), I’m thinking of creamed corn. I haven’t had that for a long time! There is a little bit of a bitter aftertaste, reminding me of dandelion greens, which I eat in the spring.

In the final steepings, there was a sweet aftertaste.

This was one of the teas I took to work today. i don’t normally do well with green oolongs, but as I always say – if someone (Sil) is generous enough to send me a tea, I’m willing to try it. I was really expecting to drink a cup or so and then move onto something else. I actually drank this all day. Not something I would buy more of, but definitely better than I was expecting.
There wasn’t much floral to this one, wasn’t too grassy, didn’t have that weird green oolong taste that most of them have. For my tastes this was more green tea than lightly oxidized oolong.
Thanks so much Sil for sending this to me, different experience in green oolong – I learned something today.

YAY! i was hoping you wouldn’t mind this one…since i’m not a fan of oolongs either…those darn greeny ones with THAT taste to them…but this wasn’t bad… nothing to keep in my cupboard but nice to have tried.