Jin Jun Mei Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

• “I need to start drinking the teas from the Verdant Reserve box!! So today, I’ll go with this one, from April. I love Fujian teas, without a doubt! I also love Jin Jun Mei especially, with...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3151 tasting notes
  • “It’s going to be one of those mornings. I couldn’t fall asleep for a little while last night, so this morning I am exhausted. I had a bowl of matcha, and then, because I was waiting a...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2165 tasting notes
  • “One steeping before last. Three rounds in a taiwan. This is a good tea. A very good tea. But it’s not a spectacular tea. There’s honey, malt, the linen feel that Terri described –...” Read full tasting note
    NofarS 412 tasting notes
  • “Backlog. Grumble. So I’m writing these incredibly backlogged tasting notes between calls at one of my jobs, and am making a bit of progress today since it seems to be fairly quiet so...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2970 tasting notes

From Verdant Tea (Special)

Until we met Fujian native Wang Huimin, most Jin Jun Mei we tried seemed just OK. Very sweet and enjoyable to be sure, but nothing worth the hefty price. Luckily, Wang Huimin gets to hike the rocky Wuyi Mountains every few weeks. As a child she would visit the temples, but now she is there for the Jin Jun Mei and the Wuyi Oolongs.

Because Jin Jun Mei is such an expensive tea, it is a rather insular world. Even with our experience and Chinese language, it takes an introduction from a Fujian native for us to get to source this intriguing Jin Jun Mei. We will be visiting Wuyi on April 19-23 to get photos and interviews, so keep an eye out.

The most prominent aromas and flavors of this tea are centered around the theme of roasted sweet potato. It brings back memories of living in China and stopping in the countryside where a farmer roasted sweet potatoes in a metal drum. The smell as you stood in line on a crisp morning is the taste experience of this tea.

The aftertaste and texture of this tea perfectly exemplify the Jin Jun Mei ideal, with sweet velvety honey flavor and creamy texture lingering on the tongue.

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

I need to start drinking the teas from the Verdant Reserve box!! So today, I’ll go with this one, from April. I love Fujian teas, without a doubt! I also love Jin Jun Mei especially, with several in my collection now. Is it any surprise that I also love sweet potatoes? I eat (at least) one almost every day. I grow large quantities of them in my garden, I have some growing in a planter in my sunroom, & I also buy a lot of them when I run out of the homegrown ones. Everyone in my house loves them: baked, diced & fried in coconut oil, spiralized & dropped into soup as ‘noodles’ (especially nice in coconut milk curry…sigh…). There is nothing more wonderful than a leftover baked sweet potato, sauteed/caramelized in coconut oil with cinnamon, ginger, etc. It’s the best dessert I know. Add a drizzle of coconut milk keifer…sigh…

I love sweet potatoes, so I love Jin Jun Mei, with it’s earthy sweet potato aroma & flavor, a little peppery-ness in the later brews, & in this case, a little bitter undertaste, but I don’t mind that at all. I’ve been steeping this since I got out of the tub, first while making my lunch, & now for dessert. The later steepings are like boston brown bread, rich with a molasses taste!

I can’t really say if it’s any more amazing than the other Jin Jun Mei(s) in my cupboard, but it seems to resteep forever, & it is delicious.

caile

Wow, you grow sweet potatoes too! That leftover sweet potato recipe sounds so delicious yet simple – I’ll have to do that!

Smiles.. you should start growing a rhubarb plant though! ;-)

Stephanie

Sounds great! :D

Terri HarpLady

Caile, maybe this year I’ll plant some rhubarb :)

DOOO EEET!!!!!!!!

I’ll look into it!

It’s going to be one of those mornings. I couldn’t fall asleep for a little while last night, so this morning I am exhausted. I had a bowl of matcha, and then, because I was waiting a bit around the house this morning, I decided to break into one of the reserve club black teas I have. Brewed western style, of course (I don’t have the energy for gongfu in the morning, especially not this morning), which seemed ok to me since I knew it would be a black tea. First I thought of having the Qimen (keemun), but I sniffed it and it smelled smoky and keemun-y to me in a way that was not appealing. Perhaps another time. This one, however, smelled honeyed and perhaps a hint chocolatey, and I immediately chose it.

I’ve never actually had a jin jun mei tea, even though I have loved all the Fujian blacks I’ve tried. I can’t remember why, but I think there was something about the descriptions of some of them that didn’t appeal to me. I steeped this one up and it smells very malty, with a bit of molasses grains but not as strongly as a tan yang, say.

The flavor is lovely. Very bready, very malty. There is kind of a honey-ish flavor, but while that can mean a natural sweetness in some teas, it is definitely not in this. If anything the tea is slightly drying and a touch brisk. I was struggling this morning to try and figure out what that extra something was to this tea, almost a vegetal quality, and then I saw sweet potato notes and that was totally it. Almost a cross between a Fujian black and a Yunnan black. This was quite tasty and I would definitely try another JJM in the future, not to mention enjoying the rest of my packet of this tea.

K S

Sorry to see I was not alone in my lack of sleep, but hey, great choice for the morning cup!

One steeping before last. Three rounds in a taiwan. This is a good tea. A very good tea. But it’s not a spectacular tea. There’s honey, malt, the linen feel that Terri described – and also some bitterness, that emerges even in very short steeps. I like it, but it doesn’t rank among my top 10. It’s a 90+ tea – but taking the price into account, it drops to a “no, I wouldn’t buy it again”

Terri HarpLady

I agree! I enjoyed it, but I actually liked the Wild Picked Jin Jun Mei better. Sadly, it is gone, & it appears they won’t be restocking it. :(

NofarS

That’s a shame. I’ve also just learnt that Norbu won’t be restocking my favourite tea of all times – Lao Cong Zi Ya. :( Not a good thing to hear

Backlog.

Grumble. So I’m writing these incredibly backlogged tasting notes between calls at one of my jobs, and am making a bit of progress today since it seems to be fairly quiet so far… but this is definitely not the most comfortable environment in which to be writing – there’s some sort of issue with the heating/cooling system in this building, and it is NEVER a good temperature. Right now, the ducts above me are blasting cool air and creating a breeze that is freezing me. When they are turned off, the call centre starts to get super hot and stuffy (I question whether there are any settings between “COLD” and “HOT” on the thermostat).

Anyhow, grumbling aside, new Verdant tea, woo! I believe I had some Verdant Jin Jun Mei quite a while ago (3 years? Possibly from Azzrian), though I don’t even know if it would have been sourced from the same farmer or not. I don’t recall what I thought of it (and can’t access my tasting notes right now to check, of course), but I probably didn’t much care for it, since back then I had a strong bias against most unflavoured blacks. This bias has of course, changed, and I am enjoying this tea with its smooth, slightly malty and sweet breadiness. Definitely not a favourite over my Taiwanese Black or Laoshan Black, but it’s still a nice morning tea. One interesting thing to note, though – I’m oddly reminded of Alphagetti while drinking this tea. Yes, the pasta shapes in tomato sauce. Not the tomato though, just the pasta. I guess they have some flavour note(s) in common!

I haven’t had the opportunity to try a jin jun mei before, so I grabbed a bit of this one with my Verdant order. It looks like a dian hong, and truthfully, it tastes like a dian hong. Sweet, yammy, smooth, maybe a bit of caramel, but not really distinct. Not really sure why there’s such a hype and steeper price for this kind of tea.