Mrs. Li's 1st Picking Shi Feng Dragonwell

Green Tea
Corn Husk, Flowers, Grass, Melon
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

From Verdant Tea (Special)

Verdant Reserve Club – June

About Verdant Tea (Special) View company

I’m still working my way through last year’s greens & whites, with a commitment to drink one of them every day of the week, with weekends being optional.
This is another TOMC tea from last June.
It brews to a lovely pale apricot, starting out with a light but creamy vanilla texture, & gradually becoming refreshing in a cucumber sort of way, almost like a light salad, LOL.

1942 tasting notes

This was an unexpected sipdown (105). There were two servings of this left, but I had a somewhat catastrophic first session (long story) that ended up wasting the leaves, but I still wanted this tea so I had a gongfu session with the rest. This tea is so easy to overbrew and get bitter, but when you hit the sweet spot it is amazing. So buttery, nutty, lightly spiced almost? I think it reminds me almost of those cinnamon candy almonds. Amazing. The reserve version of this is probably slightly wasted on me as I am not a connoisseur of dragonwells but it is still very enjoyable.

Considering my packet of this is opened, I’m surprised that I don’t have a tasting note of this on here.

In my new trial of my teas in an additive free way (at least the green and white ones), I chose this one as my first try because it’s so so nice. Made in a Finium brew basket instead of my Breville for a smaller amount of tea.

Drinking this hot, there’s a tiny amount of bitterness that’s still attacking my throat, but the upfront taste is what I expected from this Dragonwell with all the nice vegetable beaniness that I remembered from earlier tries. This tea is old now, from the June 2013 Reserve box but it is still very good. I am trying to drink up my opened greens since I learned recently that they have a much shorter shelf life than my favourite black tea.

This is a very pleasant cup, even without additives, even to me who is a supertaster of bitterness of the highest degree. I am so so so very sensitive to it and there is hardly any here. Amazing. I can see why high quality dragonwells are so highly prized.

It is less yummy when it cools, which is a reminder to drink this one quickly. Second steep was 1.5 minutes and has a stronger and slightly more bitter flavour. I’m going to end this review now, but not stop steeping. I want to get all of this tea gone before I go to bed because I hear it’s not good to keep wet leaves overnight in a brew basket and I just had to clean out a cloud of mold from my Breville the other day from leaving tea in it for too long. Blech.

Sad Sample Sipdown! Thanks again Terri!

I’m definitely going to order some first flush dragonwell next spring. Not sure from where yet but the stuff is DEELISH! I’m ambivalent about regular dragonwell though. It’s not bad but doesn’t thrill me like this really young stuff does.

On an unrelated note- I think I’m going to make some homemade matcha and frozen yogurt popsicles this weekend. Doesn’t that sound fab? Oohh maybe I’ll throw in some avocado too…

Cameron B.

Maybe with a little bit of mint or lemon too? :D

Stephanie

OoooOoooh! That sounds good. I’ve also got some rhubarb I need to use. Might cook some down into a compote and make ice pops out of that at some point :)

Cameron B.

Strawberry frozen yogurt with rhubarb swirl! ;)

Terri HarpLady

Glad you like the tea! I’m jealous about the pop cycles!

yyz

That could be good. In Ecuador a store near me used to make a strawberry and Avacado shake that was amazingly good.

I’m on my third cup of this tea using the traditional Long Jing method of steeping the leaves directly in your glass. I used 4g of leaves with water roughly 75C to the volume of 350ml/12oz.

It is the best Dragonwell I have ever tasted. On my first sips my mouth was met with corn husk, perfumed flowers, sweet grass and melon which has continued into my third cup and with little to no dryness. It’s light and sweet but also buttery and as a whole it lingers in my mouth as if it’s giving my tongue a hug. There is a very slight astringency but it tastes more mineral than anything else and it adds to the flavour.

I highly recommend trying the cup steeping method, it’s very easy and it gets the most flavour out of the leaves.
This method works well (though she is using less leaf than is recommended by Verdant) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kff7OxaWhM

Flavors: Corn Husk, Flowers, Grass, Melon